What to do with all the antlers.....

willie_gunn

Decided I needed to start making inroads into all the antlers I have stashed above the garage. I have a few sets that I've mounted on the wall for sentimental reasons, but as I don't have a baronial hall I don't have space for all of them.

So far I've used antlers for stickmaking, knife handles, fishing priests, etc but still not making any real headway. So yesterday I decided to knock up some zip pulls, a corkscrew and a bottle opener:

But what do you do with all the antlers you've accumulated?

willie_gunn

Ebay!
I have a good clear out every couple of years. Got £95 for a shoe box full of rubbish Roe antlers last time.
MS

Funnily enough iv'e just been to get some dog grub from my local pet shop and they're selling bits of antler in there for dogs to chew on at £10 to £12 a time
might go round again and see if they want any more at that price :D

Out of interest where did you get the corkscrew and bottle opener bits?

Thank you

You would get these bits from any good wood turning suppliers like Rutlands or Axminster another is eBay again wood turning.

​Andrew

Thanks Pete. It's nice to work with my hands for a change having driven a desk all week ;)

​Dom

Dom if you go into marketing them I will take a bottle opener and a corkscrew
also a small pair of matching ring / zip pulls
All stamped with the BLASER logo of course :D

​regards pete

Dom
Nicely done sir!
Might head into TVP next week for a catch up if you're around... The grass is going brown nicely at home, and I need to keep my head engaged
Cheers
iain

Mine all go to Valmet804 off this site .He then turns them into the beautiful razor handles and bullet pens etc.

Couple of hours free yesterday so a chance to work on adding some spare antler to the new Damascus blade style of bottle opener that I got from Loch Ness Origins:

I also did a roe antler keyring that I'll post when I get a chance. If anyone has any other ideas of practical uses I could put antler to, please let me know, as there's a lot to get through!

willie_gunn

Depends on the quantity. There are one or two reliable dealers who export cut and cast red and sika antlers, mostly to Korea. Paid by the kilo. PM me for details.

Robbie

Some nice work there Dom. How about a knife of some description?

I have done a few knives already using antler, for example:

I've got a couple of blades arriving this week that I might clad in antler, but you can only have so many knives.....hang on, what am I saying :D

willie_gunn

Great stuff ,something about a bit of antler nice little prezzies ,our local boarding kennel pay top dollar for antler dog chews .
keep up the good work !
​Norma

And the latest keyring, this time a bit of a trial to see what I could do with a small roe antler:

You can't really see from the photos, but the ends of the pearling and the coronet base polish up to a beautiful gloss.

BTW, I did still have time this weekend to get out stalking ;)

willie_gunn

BO1_zps2eb6943f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
BO2_zpse04b9b94.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Nice work Dom, as you say the old style bottleopeners are nicer, but the damascus one is different.

Some pics of the .375 case made into a bottle opener, bit clumsy looking on the roe antler, might look better on a length of red, still in the prototype stage :lol:

Great minds think alike, i bust the zip pull on my rifle bag and made a muntjac pull for it!!

Moose

I have done a few knives already using antler, for example:

I've got a couple of blades arriving this week that I might clad in antler, but you can only have so many knives.....hang on, what am I saying :D

willie_gunn

Dom

for one that has seen some of your knife collection I'm not so sure.
Still trying to track down one of those Alaska 3" knives you have.

Keep up the good work mate

regards

jon

Back