what to do with Rabbits

nun_hunter

Personally I soak in salted water overnight (reduces the bitter/blood taste) then simmer in water with onions and seasoning for at least two hours. Let it cool then pick all the tender meat off the bones and use in pies, sandwiches, stir frys, omlets etc. freeze what you can't eat in a couple of days and just use like you would left over chicken.

Southernfairy

Hang them (paunched) for at least 24 hours and then marinade in a mixture of pineapple, papaya and mango overnight. I know it sounds odd but its an old chef's trick for tenderising. Can then add whatever you like and the fruit flavour is no longer apparent.

big ears

The young ones will casserole really well. Parsnips and cumin add a lovely flavour. Also agree with half cooking and using meat in pies/ suet puds etc. as for the old ones either bunny burgers or leave them in the hedge for Charlie! However you cook the old ones you will be chewing them for a week IMHO
although roasting them between two bits of hardboard for two hours and then eating the hardboard I'm am told works!

bobt

treat it like chicken as said,

I like to BBQ them, and not let on what people are eating until afterwards,
they all want more.

scotch_egg

The old ones are sometime crappy.

I tend to throw the whole carcass into a curry. The loin is just like chicken breast. I don't advocate hanging now days. We are not brought up with the strong flavours of yesteryear.

Barkingsnake

We sometimes mince and mix with a good sausage (better grade from the local shop) and make what the kids termed "Rat-Rat Burgers" and you could persuade yourself they are beef...although the kids pretty soon detected the difference and Rat-Rat is off. :)

Monkey Spanker

Sausages!
http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co....ustard!?highlight=smoked+rabbit+mustard+cider
I also make some pretty tasty Rabbit bacon and mushroom pies!
Boil or slow cook rabbit in a chicken stock with an onion until it falls off the bones (very tender!).
Meanwhile, fry bacon bits and slice raw mushrooms.
Mix rabbit meat (bones removed) with bacon into a white wine or mushroom sauce. I also use the 'Chicken tonight' Honey and Mustard sauce which is very good.
Place mix into a pie dish and put sliced raw mushrooms on top. Cover with pastry of your preference and cook until pastry is perfect.
Very tasty and good way to disguise flopsy to those that might be concerned!;)
MS

karlbird

Burgers (Hugh Fernley Whittingstall has a good recipe, sure you will find it on google)

Young ones are the best, but can make a nice rabbit gyro in a pitta bread, or small ones a few months old are good BBQed whole with some spice mix on it, almost spatchcocked to open them out.

arron

you can also use the schwarz packet chichen chassuer mixes , just bone out the rabbit and fry until golden colour, dead easy and very tasty !

Olaf

hi all,
I shoot a few rabbits myself, but have never eaten them.
any easy tasty recipes

Good on you., its a great food is the humble Rabbit ! Try this one:

Rabbit with Cider, Mustard and Thyme

2 wild or 1 reared rabbit, jointed into 8 pieces.
Seasoned flour
2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
1tbsp honey
4 onions
12 cloves garlic
Big bunch of thyme
2 pints good still cider
Big bowl of sauté potatoes ( see recipe )
Olive oil and butter, for cooking
1. Flour all the rabbit pieces, and set aside.
2. Roughly slice up the onions and smash up the garlic a little, but do not peel it.
3. Put a handful of butter and a good ladleful of oil in a large sauté pan on a high heat. When the oil/butter combination is hot, add the rabbit. Leave it to brown really well, then turn over and brown the other side.
4. Add the onion and garlic and the handful of thyme. Give it 10 minutes cooking, and then add the cider and mustard.
5. Put the lid on, and simmer for 40 minutes.
6. At the end of this time, there should be very little juice left, which is as it should be. Add the honey, check the rabbit is falling off the bone, and serve with sauté potatoes, a green salad.

Mungo

Just a word of warning: it's a very delicate meat, and has very little fat in it.

I don't understand the traditional recipes which advocate soaking in salt water etc - that generally renders it completely tasteless and extremely dry.

Young ones are best treated like free range chicken.

Older ones are best slow cooked with a source of extra fat (pork belly works well).

And don't be put off by the inital smell - they can smell appalling when they start cooking.

pete evans

I don't understand the traditional recipes which advocate soaking in salt water etc - that generally renders it completely tasteless and extremely dry.

I agree. I generally joint then put in an air tight container with olive oil and a little thyme and garlic for a few days prior to cooking. Thyme and rabbit is a good combo.