What to

B

Bolt action

I guys / girls,
I've had a visit in the night from the local scrote (hate the word!), who rifled my vehicle. They have stolen 2 knives. One a Swiss Army knife, the other a 3.5" bladed Damascus hunting knife with a pearl handle and in a sheath with neck lanyard. I leave them in the vehicle, please don't ask why I just do. And the other stupid thing is I hadn't locked the vehicle!!!

Here's the rub. If you were me would you report it? My concerns are they may be used for a crime. The other concern my lack of judgement my jeopardise my firearms renewal.

Please refrain from from reminding what a pollock I've been! I know that.

BA

takbok

You haven't done anything wrong by leaving them in the vehicle. However I wouldn't report it as some busybody might make a mountain out of a molehill with it.

Sorry to hear it.

JTO

Waste of time reporting it, unless you want to help spoil plod's detection rate figures further.

Last edited:

Kalahari

I would be very careful of telling anybody you had left a fixed blade knife in an unlocked vehicle. "Good reason" and all that stuff.

Best wishes,

David.

JTO

I had an item stolen and had a trail cam video of a couple walking off with it. Within 2 hrs facebook had come up with names of a couple of druggies. Went to plod with the names and video stills, only to be told that 'We can't act on information from social media'. Had a phone call from plod to say he would ring back after he came back off holiday. Never heard another thing. Let a customer, who appears to be in the drug fraternity, have a look at the video and he got the item back.

B

Bolt action

Thank you all for the points made.
My main concern is that the knife maybe used to attack someone, with dire consequences. That said me reporting it now isn't going to change anything, sad to say. I'm going to keep stum. Thanks again for your replies.

BA

Pedro

Either way I think the likelihood of getting things back is slim. Possibly a little more so if you report it. The likelihood of it affecting your certificates is also slim. But if there are other incidents relating to you recorded by the police, either before or after, it could become a factor.

Two things: As an individual, when you report a crime, you expect the police to look at your crime and deal with it the best way they can. But it is all too often seen as just another thing to record to become a statistic to show trends. Secondly, if you are of the opinion not to report things, it's probably not a good idea to put it on an open forum. Which the police can read as well as anyone else. Probably won't make any difference in this instance, but good policy in general.

Glyn 1

It's a bit awkward with it being a knife in an unlocked car but in general we really should report everything. Imagine if this little piece of information was the factor that confirmed a certain person was in a certain place at a certain time? It could be a vital part of another investigation.

8x57

Distinguished Member
Thank you all for the points made.
My main concern is that the knife maybe used to attack someone, with dire consequences. That said me reporting it now isn't going to change anything, sad to say. I'm going to keep stum. Thanks again for your replies.

BA
Hard to keep stum Bolt Action when you've already posted on an open forum that is regularly read by a good many FEOs and your post posts provide enough clues for them to make it relatively easy to identify you should they wish to take the trouble.

joed

I would think that there are many ways for people to get access to bladed weapons for crime. Its possible they may use these knives for further crime. Possible they will sell them....either way you havent increased the likelihood of knife crime occuring.

Also if FEO's are watching im sure they arent going to judge you for forgetting to lock your car. You wouldnt leave a rifle in your car unlocked and unattended anyway.

If my FEO is watching...i think you all are lovely

sauer

Well as recent events show on handful of occasions now .....
It's lorries , cars or knives that are being used in terrorist attacks of late ....
Anyone virtually can go into a store and buy a steak knife ......
How hard is it for these guys to have false paperwork to hire a car ...or even just steal one ?

I wouldn't have posted it on an open forum , but it's done ....
Your knife is gone your car could have been ....
Can replace the knife with likes of a mora for less than s tenner and you still have your car .

I wouldn't stress , as long as you have taken mental note to be bit more savvy with security at your place then move on .

Paul

bluesako

sorry, to here about your loss from scrotes, "I like that word" if your without a knive, I can lend you a good one till you get sorted, dave.,

stubear

Sorry to hear about this, its a right hassle and there is always some little numpty who will take the opportunity to half inch something if they think its an easy steal! It drives me nuts as it just shows that there are a surprisingly large number of people out there with no honour but thats the world we live in these days...

Only one thing to add (apologies if its already been said and I missed it!) - As a matter of course I wouldnt leave knives in the car (barring things like penknives with small blades), not so much because of the theft risk and more so because if you get stopped in a routine traffic stop on your way to work you dont have good reason for having the knife at that particular moment in time. That will definitely land you in hot water even if you ultimately explain it to the police as a leaving it in there by mistake after going stalking.

finnbear270

Only one thing to add (apologies if its already been said and I missed it!) - As a matter of course I wouldnt leave knives in the car (barring things like penknives with small blades), not so much because of the theft risk and more so because if you get stopped in a routine traffic stop on your way to work you dont have good reason for having the knife at that particular moment in time. That will definitely land you in hot water even if you ultimately explain it to the police as a leaving it in there by mistake after going stalking.
So, I have to go home & sort my gear before I can go stalking then ???????????