What vehicle do you use for stalking or management?

308tikka

What vehicles do you use-and what would you recommend in the second hand market (mad as it is )?
People seem to love jimnys, and double cabs abound. Any not to go for?

I have a defender 90, but I think Ill be parting with it.

Sika98k

Mk7 twin cab Hilux, 12 years old now, 105,000 miles, never failed to pass its MOT. broke down once when a fuse holder burnt out.

Erik Hamburger

What vehicles do you use-and what would you recommend in the second hand market (mad as it is )?

Best value proper off-roader, and also a very comfortable motorway cruiser, is the Toyota Landcruiser 'Commercial Utility' - available in both SWB and LWB. Strangely not on the Radar of most off-road / Stalking enthousiast. (But very popular in all the worlds trouble spots in tough conditions...) . If you can find an almost new low Mileage 2021 model you'll get the newly upgraded '21 engine (2.8 Ltr.) with more power but more fuel efficient than the '20 or before models. Only drawback is just 2 front seats - the rear seats and all the unnecessary electronic luxuries have been stripped out, hence the 'Utility' label. You'll get TWO of these for the price of ONE Landrover! A no-brainer in my view.

308tikka

Best value proper off-roader, and also a very comfortable motorway cruiser, is the Toyota Landcruiser 'Commercial Utility' - available in both SWB and LWB. Strangely not on the Radar of most off-road / Stalking enthousiast. (But very popular in all the worlds trouble spots in tough conditions...) . If you can find an almost new low Mileage 2021 model you'll get the newly upgraded '21 engine (2.8 Ltr.) with more power but more fuel efficient than the '20 or before models. Only drawback is just 2 front seats - the rear seats and all the unnecessary electronic luxuries have been stripped out, hence the 'Utility' label. You'll get TWO of these for the price of ONE Landrover! A no-brainer in my view.
Ive seen them all over africa and in australia. I was under the impression they were difficult to import to the UK..

Tough as old boots.

Mike_E

two different beasts - you are thinking of the 70series landcruiser.... what Erik is talkign about above is just the standard Landcruiser you get in the UK but its got 2 seats and a basic interior.

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
Recently bought another Isuzu D Max Utah, automatic this time. Got the cab on the back and towing kit. This is the 4th one I have had, and I rate them very highly.
Great for picking clients up from the airport, plenty of room, and reasonable off road. However it wont beat a Landrover or Toyota land cruiser off road. But then unlike the Landrover it will not be breaking down every five minutes either :D

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff

At least when its gone you may still have all your teeth in your head, and the constant draft from the doors will stop the ear ache :lol:

dlz90

2009 Ford ranger wildtrack 3.0l currently 86,000 on the clock dependable and reasonably economic does everything I need great for loading large deer with use of skids and winch attached to the roll bar, it's my second ranger my last 2006 unit was very reliable I sold it last year with 160,000 trouble free miles on it.

Before the rangers I drove a defender 90 HT for over 10 years great off road but useless for putting anything other than small red sika fallow in the back with the bigger animals it was terrible.

So all in a ranger suits me very well and I'm sure other open back pickups would do the same.

D

308tikka

I think I
two different beasts - you are thinking of the 70series landcruiser.... what Erik is talkign about above is just the standard Landcruiser you get in the UK but its got 2 seats and a basic interior.

I think I was! Id definitely have a 70 series!

Steff

A Range Rover - in my dreams 🤣.
In real life it is a 2008 Nissan Navara King Cap. Never ever had a problem with it. But if I were to buy a new one I‘d go for an auto Hilux.

308tikka

Before the rangers I drove a defender 90 HT for over 10 years great off road but useless for putting anything other than small red sika fallow in the back with the bigger animals it was terrible.

So all in a ranger suits me very well and I'm sure other open back pickups would do the same.
Useful to know. I dont need to put reds in the back but I agree 90 is not great for anything big

dlz90

2009 Ford ranger wildtrack 3.0l currently 86,000 on the clock dependable and reasonably economic does everything I need great for loading large deer with use of skids and winch attached to the roll bar, it's my second ranger my last 2006 unit was very reliable I sold it last year with 160,000 trouble free miles on it.

Useful to know. I dont need to put reds in the back but I agree 90 is not great for anything big
I like the rangers a lot parts when u need them are cheap and easy to source insurance prices are also very good, and when you need off road it's really good not a defender but more than enough for most situations.

D