what wood is this

SHIPPERS2

hi all stripped my mates gun stock for his 17hmr and we not sure what wood it is the folks on pigeon watch think its walnut any idea WP_20150111_012.jpgWP_20150111_013.jpgWP_20150111_011.jpg

That is a fantastic peice of timber for a modern factory rifle!

Looks almost maple and with a wee bit of quilting.

Gonna look super fantastic if given a proper oil finish.

K

im jealous mine has a patch of it on the side of the butt,none along the stock ,doug

Last edited:
Hi chaps, it's my hmr varmint that Mr shippers is doing a brilliant job on, he done me proud on my tikka m55 308 as well(might post some pics if I can figure out how to!) we are thinking of staining the cz in a mid grey so the stripes come through nearly black. Any thoughts on this?

Seems a bit of a shame in my eyes to stain such a nice piece of wood. If it were mine I would be looking into a nice, semi-matte sp? natural oil finish that brings out the character of the wood. Of course the trade off is a bit more maintenance. It's your rifle, so do what you like I suppose.
Alistair

What wood is this? I think I know.
His house is in the village though.

Ah - but I digress: it must be a Frosty night!

I know what you're saying Alastair , but I'm looking to use an alcohol based stain which is easier to remove if I ever wanted to. I've looked at other grey stocks and if anything, the grain becomes more prominent. How many brown guns do you need to see!

What wood is this? I think I know.
His house is in the village though.

Ah - but I digress: it must be a Frosty night!

I took the road less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference

A touch of Frost perhaps, but enough nonetheless ;)

Re: the stock, I would have said tiger walnut - it looks far too nice to stain!

Couldn't resist:

22924494-c833-479d-8684-5cea411228fb_zps956b7836.jpg

Factory Anschutz stock.

K

Hi chaps, it's my hmr varmint that Mr shippers is doing a brilliant job on, he done me proud on my tikka m55 308 as well(might post some pics if I can figure out how to!) we are thinking of staining the cz in a mid grey so the stripes come through nearly black. Any thoughts on this?

If you look up the thread 'care of a wooden rifle stock' I posted some instructions on the use of raw linseed oil. Personally I'd avoid the use of a stain. If you finish it with raw linseed oil it will deepen its colour and leave you with a very nice stock, stains always look like stained wood in the end.

Kind regards, Olaf

dont stain it ,do it a bit of justice and give it a good oil job on it,:old:

Another vote for an oil finish.

(I don't think it's maple. Maple doesn't have the open pore structure that walnut does.)

Cheers,
Jeff.

Right then, I've found a product for sale in the UK called Osmo natural oil stain basalt grey, would that be a fair compromise to keep everyone happy? Including myself! This is a very busy little gun that can have upwards of 70 rds a week put through it, so some weather protection (oil) isn't a bad idea.

Right then, I've found a product for sale in the UK called Osmo natural oil stain basalt grey, would that be a fair compromise to keep everyone happy? Including myself! This is a very busy little gun that can have upwards of 70 rds a week put through it, so some weather protection (oil) isn't a bad idea.

No! I would imagine grey is all but the 2nd worst colour if you wish to "bring out" the contrasting tiger stripe. They being almost black.

Give a nice shade of green a go if you must stain it and apply sparingly with light dabs from a sponge.

Sorry but I do like green!

Cheers

K

I think I made my views fairly clear in the last post, but on the flip side the best bit about having your own kit is being able to do whatever the hell you want with it in terms of aesthetics. If you want to put grey stain on it, then do so and don't listen to everyone elses opinions, it's you that is going to use the thing after all. I hope it works out for you. Enjoy!
Alistair

This isnt a stock for a busy little rifle,get a synthetic and do a proper job on this.....

Back