What woods are these? - absolute bargain at £3 whatever they are

zambezi

My wife is an inveterate shopper. She always has her eye out for a bargain, highstreet, boot sale or classifieds. Wonderfully, she also looks for stuff I might like! The other day she surprised me with a haul of knifemaker's-gold: four slabs of hardwood which she snapped up for £3!

I am pretty sure the wood at the bottom is Wenge, and the smallest piece is probably ebony.

I am really not sure about the other two. They feel as dense/heavy as any hardwood I have. Any ideas?

IMG_5670.JPG

Finch

I was going to say, you could tell whether the top one was mahogany by smelling it as it burns. But that may defeat the object somewhat.

FrenchieBoy

If it's Lignum Vitae it should be that dense that if put in a bowl of water it will not float. Lignum Vitae is the wood that original Crown Green Bowls are made of - I have a set which are about 70 years old and have been re-modelled specially for me that I use for Match Play and they are as tough as old boots!

WH308

This website is handy. Even tells you any potential allergy / toxin advice with the more exotic woods.

zambezi

This website is handy. Even tells you any potential allergy / toxin advice with the more exotic woods.

Very helpful, Thanks!

I am going to bookmark this page as its photo library married to excellent catalogue of applications is exactly what I need:

Rhodesianjess

If it's Lignum Vitae it should be that dense that if put in a bowl of water it will not float. Lignum Vitae is the wood that original Crown Green Bowls are made of - I have a set which are about 70 years old and have been re-modelled specially for me that I use for Match Play and they are as tough as old boots!
Police truncheons were as well as early baton rounds for riot control. Was used until recently as bearing blocks on lifeboat slipways too.

zambezi

zambezi

Happily, this wood database has probably resolved a question I had about the wood I used in my cheese-board project. I was never sure what timber that was. It was upcycled shelving inherited from a previous home of mine. [I never throw anything away if it looks "useful"]

Working with the wood, there were a couple of stand out features: a waxy feel to the surfaces and sawdust, plus a faint smell of sweet spice. I could never put my finger on what smell, exactly.

Searching the hardwood database above with the keyword "waxy", threw up Cumaru as having a waxy texture plus vanilla/cinnamon-like odour when worked!

Compare image there with the board and it is a damn fine match: IMG_5663.JPG