Whatever you do.....dont look down the bore!

Dorsettaff

Had a somewhat sobering experience the other day......Had a look down a borescope at my lovingly cleaned and carefully fired .243 barrel

Its a Blaser match...fired 1200 from new....mostly home loads, RL19, H380, RL22, Superformance...nothing too "hot"......shoots sub moa with 85 grain Gamekings.

What I saw made my blood run cold.....fire cracking, throat erosion, non existent lands, copper fouling, carbon streaks.......scary! The .243 has always been labelled as "Over bored" but never a throat burner in the same way as a 6.5-.284 but something is sure munching away at the ironwork!

Does it affect how it shoots? Well, so far ....no! But if I was shown the mess the 1st couple of centimetres are in if I was buying it,,,,I'd be running for the door!!

Sometimes its just better not to know!

Also looked down my .22-250....bad but not as bad as the .243 and a 6.5 x55.....hardly a blemish.

So...whatever you do....Do...Not...Look...Down the bore!!!

Markfox

Not surprised, 1000+ rounds matched with cheap barrel steel

considering Blaser use the same cheap barrel steel for a multitude of bigger , faster and more powerful calibres quite successfully they can't be that bad

I'd stick my neck out and say that I bet any manufacturers barrel whether classed as high end or custom etc would probably show close to the same type of wear at the same round count

Druid

Everything dies. Including rifles. Shoot it til it doesn't do what you want then change it.

I can't bear the not using something, as you may wear it out, school of thought. That's probably why my car has 150k on the clock and I still use it daily :)

ejg

Had a somewhat sobering experience the other day......Had a look down a borescope at my lovingly cleaned and carefully fired .243 barrel

Its a Blaser match...fired 1200 from new....mostly home loads, RL19, H380, RL22, Superformance...nothing too "hot"......shoots sub moa with 85 grain Gamekings.

What I saw made my blood run cold.....fire cracking, throat erosion, non existent lands, copper fouling, carbon streaks.......scary! The .243 has always been labelled as "Over bored" but never a throat burner in the same way as a 6.5-.284 but something is sure munching away at the ironwork!

Does it affect how it shoots? Well, so far ....no! But if I was shown the mess the 1st couple of centimetres are in if I was buying it,,,,I'd be running for the door!!

Sometimes its just better not to know!

Also looked down my .22-250....bad but not as bad as the .243 and a 6.5 x55.....hardly a blemish.

So...whatever you do....Do...Not...Look...Down the bore!!!
Now imagine you would have a Sauer 101 or Mauser M12, complete rifle soon to go in the bin....:stir:

edi

paul o'

The switch barrel is the only thing going for a BLA BLA imo ? You can swap out the barrel without anyone noticing its shot out at 1200 rounds ???:stir:

VSS

If it ain't broke..... Don't mend it!
If it still shoots the way you want it to, why worry?

My local gunsmith has identified all sorts of barrel / crown issues with my old P-H .243 and sure, it would be nice to have it all fixed up, but it still shoots where I point it - which is all that's required.

Woodsmoke

If it still shoots the way you want it to, why worry?
Yep. If it was chucking rounds all over the place I'd start worrying. Until then just enjoy the rifle :D

Incidentally, I read somewhere that the average rifle barrel will only last for something like ten seconds of actual firing time . . . .

Dorsettaff

Nice to see the usual "Flat Earthers" Blaser bashing again!:lol:. I bet your Walthar/Bartlein/Border/Shilen/Benchmark/Adamantium/Unobtainium barrels all suffer the same fate.....not a case of if but when!

Funny thing it shoots a dream.....as I said sub moa day in day out...dropped all manner of deer from munties to sika.

Nice thing is I can eventually just chuck it, buy a spare and off I go....do you know I might even change calibre!

I'm with Druid.....run it into the ground.....Audi currently on 225,000 and still going.....might borescope the engine block to cheer myself up!

Also with An Ru Fox.....those match barrels are bloody heavy to start with...wondered why it was getting more manageable with age!

Dorsettaff

Blaser barrels wear out their throats faster for the same reason that male air stewardesses do.
Funny that? Never had my Blaser ask me to return to my seat, fasten my seat belt or show me where the emergency exits are? Perhaps if I had the Luxus it would ask me whether I wanted tea or coffee or anything from the duty free?

Paul....I agree.....Barrels are bad...they need to be punished!!

Grandhubert

Funny that? Never had my Blaser ask me to return to my seat, fasten my seat belt or show me where the emergency exits are? Perhaps if I had the Luxus it would ask me whether I wanted tea or coffee or anything from the duty free?

Paul....I agree.....Barrels are bad...they need to be punished!!
it's the pressure changes you see. Constant change from hot and cold and the attendant condensation mean that a dicky throat is an almost certainty.

Whatbdid you think I meant? :?:

Yep. If it was chucking rounds all over the place I'd start worrying. Until then just enjoy the rifle :D

Incidentally, I read somewhere that the average rifle barrel will only last for something like ten seconds of actual firing time . . . .
THATS CORRECT ITS THE MOMENT THE ASSISTANT PASSES IT TO YOU TO LOOK AT,:lol: