Whats everyones cleaning regime?

Sauer 100 Stainless XTA - Discover Now >>>

Liveonce

Back in the 80's the guy who invented the boresnake was going to gun shows and selling his wares. I bought my first from him and have been using them ever since. I have gone through dozens of them. I have never gotten one stuck, nor have I had one snap off. ~Muir
That’s because I suspect you are not buying the cheap Chinese crap copies from a certain auction site.
I did, did not get it stuck because the brass lump you were expected to send down the barrel was a larger diameter than the .17 bore, despite stating on the packet .17cal. 😂😂😡

Colonel Rimfire

A few year ago I made the mistake of buying a borescope, what a can of worms that proved to be!

I use a custom cleaning kit sent to me from America. Sent to me gratis by a nice fellow from Rimfire central

066A03C8-BBCF-4B75-8477-A73C59D0967A_zpsf9flnoyv.jpg

With a .22 rimfire I never clean the bore just the chambers. I deep cleaned my Anschutz and it took 200 rounds to truly settle in again

on a .22 rimfire. For a light clean I run strimmer cables, which are purposely sized to drag a patch through, doing this just removes the lube but not the fouling and not the lead in the bore, the upshot of this is that it only takes a handful of rounds to season the bore again. If I do a deep clean, or for running in a new bore I'll use Aerokroil to start off the bore. then KG11 followed by Eezox to protect the guns exterior.

With centrefire and shotgun they get cleaned after every outing. Kg11 to remove copper fouling followed by Butch's bore shine then a light patch with Kroil.

I too stopped using bore snakes a while ago as they can indeed drag crap through the bore. Unless regularly cleaned in a washing machine.

muddy42

The arguments for cleaning never, every time or every combination in between has been made at length. I think it is very hard to do a real life comparison of two regimes over the life of a rifle. So I wont go there.

I would say two things.

1. My aim with cleaning is rust prevention and removing water NOT maintaining every last thousandth of an inch of accuracy. Hence why I am inclined to patch once with a tiny amount of light oil after every use. Same with a shotgun. It gets a few cycles of soaking and scrubbing once a year and rezero.

2. You are more inclined to do this if you have a decent vice, bore guide and rod handy and set up ready to go.

Rider

More detail on barrel cleaning from Erik Cortina
I hate wasting half an hour of my time on those blabla vids. Luckily I found the essence of this lengthy conversation early on in the vid.
"I can keep it consistently clean, but I can't keep it consistently dirty." My motto.

baguio

Long story short: you can clean a rifle barrel to shiny silver steel in about 10 minutes if you use a bore scope and abrasive paste such as JB or Iosso
And then need to fire a load of rounds to get it to shoot straight again. That's basically putting a rifle that did shoot straight out of action until I can next get to the ranges. No thanks!

Utectok

And then need to fire a load of rounds to get it to shoot straight again. That's basically putting a rifle that did shoot straight out of action until I can next get to the ranges. No thanks!
Yep your allowed as many “sighters” barrel fouling shots as you like in f class. Deer are not so obliging?

gixer1

Spray over the rifle with Legia spray/napier wipe down all the parts the rag can get to, wipe the bolt down and the occasional bore snake with a liberal soaking in legia/napier.

Regards,
Gixer

kamyonsofor

It’s all witchcraft, with strange potions and rituals all done after dark
I am with you Tazz I make up my own concoctions using mineral oils with some other bits put in ,also clean gungy bits with Carb and Choke cleaner or Egr cleaner let it stand a few mins. then dry patches pulled thru and a patch with my witches juice pulled thru .As for my .22's told don't clean them but I do and use the witches juice on the bolts.

Woodsmoke

If it gets wet, it gets dried. If it gets mud, blood, or crud on it, it gets wiped. Other than that, a boresnake through the barrel after each outing and it then gets left alone

baguio

I hate wasting half an hour of my time on those blabla vids. Luckily I found the essence of this lengthy conversation early on in the vid.
"I can keep it consistently clean, but I can't keep it consistently dirty." My motto.
A lot of rifles won't shoot well when consistently clean though. What's the point in having a consistently clean rifle that groups like a shotgun?

Rider

A lot of rifles won't shoot well when consistently clean though. What's the point in having a consistently clean rifle that groups like a shotgun?
In my experience those are barrels, which aren‘t well maintained and have corrosion and / or erosion problems. All barrels I had and have do not suffer from this.

baguio

In my experience those are barrels, which aren‘t well maintained and have corrosion and / or erosion problems. All barrels I had and have do not suffer from this.
You may be correct. However, the main job of the barrel is to send the bullet consistently at the same place in relation to the end of the barrel. Providing it does that consistently for many years I'm happy. My go to rifle is 10 years old and is spot on. Stainless barrel with no signs of corrosion. I'm no barrel expert though and haven't had it scoped. It just works.

New Avon Arms