Whats the best .243 ammunition for Deer?

Westy1987

I am a relative newbie when it comes to choosing the right bullet for my .243 rifle.

I have been shooting rifles for a long time, targets as well as deer and foxes so i know how to point the rifle in the right direction and shoot straight, I know this is a crime but in the past i have not taken much notice of what i have been shooting with.

I have recently bought a rifle (Sako 85 Hunter) and i require some guidance of what sort of ammunition I should be using (weights etc) and advice on makes of ammunition (the good ones and the bad ones)

I will predominantly be after Roe but also the odd Red and Munty.

Thank you in advance

Tom

If you're after red you need to consider the relevant legislation re bullet weight and energy. In Scotland it's 100gn minimum. Not all 243's shoot well with 100gn bullets, a 1:9 twist rate is better for these, many 243's are 1:10....

My .243 is a bit picky over which ammo it likes in anything over 80 grains but for some reason it likes federal 100 grain and they are not hideously pricey.

If you're after red you need to consider the relevant legislation re bullet weight and energy. In Scotland it's 100gn minimum. Not all 243's shoot well with 100gn bullets, a 1:9 twist rate is better for these, many 243's are 1:10....

I have checked and it has a twist rate of 10

I spent 10 years messing about trying to find the most accurate round for my Sako 75. For some reason that I can't fathom I didn't try Sako ammunition until recently. The Sako 100gn is the most accurate round that's been through my rifle, even beating home loads & it's legal for everything. The RWS conepoint was also very accurate but you'd want to hit bone with it or it may not expand on a roe.

I've still got a load of different types & if you're in the lower half of Scotland you'd be welcome to a few of each (Norma, RWS, Federal, Remington etc.).

Last edited:
I have checked and it has a twist rate of 10
So has mine, like I say it was a bit fussy with the heavier ammo, 105 grain Geco was awful, privi 90 and 100 awful but anything of any weight from federal was great. I was glad to find a factory 100gn that worked as seen below at 100m

image.jpg

Like others have mentioned, my 243 is fussy about anything over 80gn but I recently tried T Mantel 100gn and they consistently grouped well.

its not weight its length
if reloading stick to flat base spitzer profile bullets in 100gr

if buying factory aim for those that shoot similar bullet profiles

boat tail ballistic tips in 90-105gr are likely to be difficult to stabilise or shoot accurately

a well placed 85gr will out kill a poorly placed 100gr....

Ed, not picking just interested. Are you suggesting the flat base over the boat tail, because the bearing surface is slightly longer?

No, but because the overall length is slightly shorter. Better yet would be bluntish RN but they seem not to be available.

For home loading Nosler Partition, Sierra Pro-Hunter, Remington Core-Lokt (regular and Ultra Bonded), Norma Oryx seem to be available in 100gr flat base spitzer.

I load for a Sako 85 stainless laminate 20" varmint. It loves 90g Nosler Ballistic Tips and 58g V-Max everything from crows to big red stags

Sako 75 shooting Federal powershock 100g

I shot this on the BASC day at bisley on Thursday

5 rounds 100m pulled one which was anoying

2016-08-13 11.02.42.jpg

Shot several deer heart shot out to 160m inc a 49kg fallow and they all fell down pretty quickly

The nice thing is I can switch to my 75g Nozla BT home loads and the group stays prety much the same just about a 1/2" higher

Last edited:
RWS 100 grain or Norma 100 grain soft point both work well for me. Buy a few boxes of different brands to try out in your rifle, that's part of the fun and some good trigger time with a new rifle...

My Sako 85 does very well with Hornady 95gr SSTs. Very accurate and I've shot Roe, Red and Fallow with them. They all went straight down. Some may say they get a bit messy though.

cjs

My Styer Pro Hunter Mountain likes Federal Power Shock 100g or Norma 100g. Shoots better with 80g feds but I stick to the 100g.

I load for a Sako 85 stainless laminate 20" varmint. It loves 90g Nosler Ballistic Tips and 58g V-Max everything from crows to big red stags
My Sako 85 stainless laminate loves the Nosler 90g BT's, and 87g VMax even more.

There is no "best", it's down to what YOUR rifle likes to shoot, with all of the quality brands doing what they need to.

Back