What's the culprit.

Gunner223

Right then, people in the village have had there ponds attacked, and many fish have been left on the side with there heads chewed and tails bitten off.
What do you think , there's a stream running through the village, so maybe mink, i think the fish are to small for an otter, or maybe a cat, what do you think.

Otters will often eat just the head of a salmon and leave the rest on the bank, don't know if they do it to small fish though.

My guess is an otter too.

Exact same scenario in my village a couple of months back one had 50 + fish from my pond which is right next to the beck. perfect slide in and out trashed the pond and the fountain. It ate all my fish but chewed the heads off some bigger fish up the village. Spoke to my mate whos a local river keeper and he confirmed most probably an otter. He also said they will travel a great distance up dried up water courses etc often looking for new food source's or new habitat munching stuff on the way.

My soft spot for otters is some what diminished now .

Such is nature....

I first thought of the otter, but just up the road is a 10 acre fishing lake and no otter attacks there, but maybe there will be very shortly,:scared:

I first thought of the otter, but just up the road is a 10 acre fishing lake and no otter attacks there, but maybe there will be very shortly,:scared:
Perhaps the fishing lake has otter fencing - My club had to fence its lake complex against otters at considerable cost (£30,000 comes to mind) even though much of the work was carried out by club members.

It sounds typical otter, and as said above they will travel considerable distance from a water course. It's not uncommon for them to travel several miles over land from one river system to another.

The lake is a town lake, no otter fencing , people would be up in arms against it , they love otters don't they its so nice to see them around,
not , I've been on 3 syndicate carp fishing lakes , and all hammered by the lovely otter,

My neighbour has a pond that was recently cleaned out by otters .She set up a trail cam and caught the bitch and two well grown cubs playing with a koi of about 6 pounds .The otters had to of climbed a six foot panel to get in .
Does anyone know how to uploads small vids as I cant be bothered with a youtube account .
We are no where near water really ,nearest stream is 2 mile away but they have been run over very close to us recently .
I see a huge problem in the future with these efficient predators .Keeper I know cannot rear any ducks because of the presence of otters that killed 412 ducks out of 450 he had on a pond despite it fenced in .They were using the outlet pipe which is six inches round ,ten metres long and full of water !

Well i told the locals about the local otter , and guess what they didn't believe me, otters are so nice they say:doh:
Oh well i did try .
Thanks for your input everyone

My neighbour has a pond that was recently cleaned out by otters .She set up a trail cam and caught the bitch and two well grown cubs playing with a koi of about 6 pounds .The otters had to of climbed a six foot panel to get in .
Does anyone know how to uploads small vids as I cant be bothered with a youtube account .
We are no where near water really ,nearest stream is 2 mile away but they have been run over very close to us recently .
I see a huge problem in the future with these efficient predators .Keeper I know cannot rear any ducks because of the presence of otters that killed 412 ducks out of 450 he had on a pond despite it fenced in .They were using the outlet pipe which is six inches round ,ten metres long and full of water !
6 inch round! sorry i dont believe it, thats not even two inchs across! unless you have a video didnt happen

Surely an otter (or otters). Not only do they kill more than they need, with easily stressed fish they can leave a pond looking as if a major chemical fish kill has happened.

Mink would be the only other option, and whereas I have seen them also kill more than they can eat, I’ve never seen that with fish, only fowl/game

Well i told the locals about the local otter , and guess what they didn't believe me, otters are so nice they say:doh:
Oh well i did try .
Thanks for your input everyone

Same in our local town pond - except that otters have been filmed in daylight taking fish. In our village a neighbour has had fish taken from their pond, so I currently have two trail cams out hoping that we can catch the culprit on them.

I think I am right in saying that otters are now resident in every county in the UK, and Berks/Bucks/Oxon has plenty of them.

Maybe he means a 6'' drainage pipe, which is 6'' across so that leaves at least a 5'' plus gap up the middle,
Was going to reply but at least someone has got it .Yes I meant 6 inch diameter not 6 inch round .I have a vid but like I’ve said no way to put it on without YouTube account .

Back