whats your thoughts tikka t3 in .308 for novice stalker

PSE Composites Limited

tozzybum

used to fire slr 7.62 in the green,job .doing dsc 1 got cull day n stalking coming up .308 is my choice of first calibre for roe .munty fallow and hope to go after reds in scotland.lotsa family up in fife.really liked the tikka t3 lite at the shooting show.got sort of permission to get one from the boss.what do u experienced guys think:D

paul o'

be like a old glove then mty crack on enjoy :tiphat:
you'r never alone with a 308 by your side .

used to fire slr 7.62 in the green,job .doing dsc 1 got cull day n stalking coming up .308 is my choice of first calibre for roe .munty fallow and hope to go after reds in scotland.lotsa family up in fife.really liked the tikka t3 lite at the shooting show.got sort of permission to get one from the boss.what do u experienced guys think:D

timbeech

I got a 308 as my first stalking rifle, I went for a remington 700 SPS Stainless so I can tinker with it and maybe change it into a long range target gun later on if I want a different stalking calibre.

As other have said, it's a been there done it all calibre. Lots of reloading equipment out there and readily available factory ammo. Can't go wrong with .308

weecornishman

I use a t3 in .308 .. great cal / rifle. start with a .308 coz, if you started with less you'll always wonder what .308 is like and after a lot of money and time you will end up with one anyway
atb
wcm

tozzybum

thanks lads i saw the sako at melbourne tackle its a drooler but S.W.M.B.O as let me run to a a package cost of 1500 tops so itl be the t3 to start and as a tackletart il keep hinting to i get to upgrade:stir:

Jager SA

thanks lads i saw the sako at melbourne tackle its a drooler but S.W.M.B.O as let me run to a a package cost of 1500 tops so itl be the t3 to start and as a tackletart il keep hinting to i get to upgrade:stir:

Doubt you'll need an upgrade mate, just stay off here or you'll be tempted to buy all kinds of sh*t you don't need! :D

Last edited:

TankGunner

Ideal,unless you can stretch the budget for a Sako 75 or 85 in same calibre.......

Why bother? Given the current recoil lug system that Beretta are using on the Sako's and their drop in build quality.

My advice would be to buy the T3, swap out the factory recoil lug for one of the custom replacements for £25 and get the thing bedded and get the forend filled. But remember not to over tighten the action screws as it will distort the plastic factory stock . Once over tightened the damage is done.

tozzybum

:lol:my thoughts upto a point once i got one tuned to my needs why would u change it .every owner raves bought theirs and i hope to do the same .i know peeps have gone to other calibres to suit their needs but if u make the rifle fit u job done venison in the larder.its a lot of dollars so once bought its mine for long time .i was impressed by the feel n look of the sako but the tikka floated my boat so i think my minds mind up unless anyones gonna pm fridays lotto numbers me gonna be buying a tikka ,with redfield n mod leics police willing

Crye417

A great round, BUT. Like you said yourself, It's a light rifle. I was at Bisley shooting this rifle last week. Maybe 40 shots max and my arm was ready to fall off. Kicks more than any other .308 I've ever shot. As pre mentioned, Sako are the top end of Tikka. Push that little bit more and go Sako.

Jager SA

A great round, BUT. Like you said yourself, It's a light rifle. I was at Bisley shooting this rifle last week. Maybe 40 shots max and my arm was ready to fall off. Kicks more than any other .308 I've ever shot. As pre mentioned, Sako are the top end of Tikka. Push that little bit more and go Sako.

Save for a new stock, pillar bed it, put a mod on it...rifle for life! One of the most efficient cartridges out there, good for 1000s of rounds. Rebarrel it later if you need to. Simples.

tozzybum

ive shot .457 martini henry now that kicks like a divorce lawyer on payday but its a bit big for muntjac n cwd:D.so the .308 should be sweet i hope:scared:

1967spud Reloading Supplies Ltd - UK Suppliers for Reloading Equipment supplies, We also stock Bullet Heads and Bullet Cases Guns Cabinets, Night vision and much much more...