When is it time to start the succession of the old to new.

joe6r

So my Female Viszla is soon to turn 09 years old she has been a great family pet and working dog (although she steadfastly refused to pick up) which wasn’t a massive issue to me.

So now i am thinking it took 2-3 years for her to calm down enough to go on stalks and now her age and temperament has for the last 5 years she has been a little joy to go out with.

I am now thinking as retirement is in the not to distant future is it time to take on a pup, then there is no rush and it can be a pup and young adolescent under relaxed training before the time comes to start working properly.

I would love another Viszla but aiming towards a Wired hair variety.
But it would be a family pet first and foremost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

foxdropper

Purely a personal thing mate .Can you bear to be without a dog about the place ,I know I can’t .The training of a youngster is always best on a one to one but saying that the youngster will pick up on the demeanour of the older dog ie remain calm when the puppy thing to do would be to charge about .Ive always overlapped dogs mainly because I breed a line of terriers but stock training has never come into it ,the pups having seen the adults not fussed ,even chickens .
Allowing a learner to run alongside an adult when at work can never be a bad thing except in the case of bad habits already in the older dog .Good luck on your choice mate

joe6r

Purely a personal thing mate .Can you bear to be without a dog about the place ,I know I can’t .The training of a youngster is always best on a one to one but saying that the youngster will pick up on the demeanour of the older dog ie remain calm when the puppy thing to do would be to charge about .Ive always overlapped dogs mainly because I breed a line of terriers but stock training has never come into it ,the pups having seen the adults not fussed ,even chickens .
Allowing a learner to run alongside an adult when at work can never be a bad thing except in the case of bad habits already in the older dog .Good luck on your choice mate
True words. We have a Mastiff (Avatar) who is with us for a different purpose.
It’s just something that’s been niggling me in the back of my mind for a little while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trucraft

I'm in a very similar position. My WHV bitch is coming up 9yrs in a month and I have been thinking the same thing.
However having 2 dogs for me would be a real handful, I have 2 kids under 12 and a small house.
If I had the space I wouldn't give it another thought.
I'm on holiday in Dorset with my family and the dog this week. The boot was full just with bags (large estate) No idea where a second Vizsla would go!

I would still train the pup one on one. Regardless of the older dog. However I'm sure the pup would learn a bit about indicating live deer from my older bitch.
I'm not so sure about the tracking side.

I would be interested to hear what others think.

Bestman

With bird dogs I reckon about six years old. That way, when the old one starts slowing at around eight, the youngster should be ready to pitch in. That's the theory anyway; unfortunately my old Vizsla died of cancer last year, and her niece got killed by a car, a couple of months later - so I'm starting from scratch again. I've now got a six month old WHV, and will be collecting a pup from the litter I mentioned in the 'Working Vizsla pups' thread on this forum, who I'm hoping will be a cracker. I will definitely miss the 'mentoring' effect of the older dog though.

Attachments

Pedro

I agree with Bestman. Eight is when working dogs such as police dogs retire. Although if they are fit and healthy, a dog should have a couple of good years left then and even past that if you are lucky and you manage their workload well. So, given that they are past their best at eight, if you want continuity, a young dog needs to be around two or three when the older dog is eight. Of course this means that it's entirely possible if you stick to that, you might find yourself living with three dogs!

Another thing to consider is that not only does the young dog imitate (hopefully the good qualities) of the older dog, the younger dog can invigorate the older one too.

But I should really stick to my own advice, although I have in the past. My dog has just turned nine this month. Will have to have a chat to the missus.

joe6r

It’s interesting as morally I feel I should wait as she has been and still is a great companion.
I only use her now when stalking and for when I cannot find the deer, I wouldn’t let her go near an alive and kicking animal.

I do see dogs as necessary especial on Muntjac where they can simply vanish when hit (we’ve all been there) and be no more then 20-30 meters away.

Time to talk to the wife......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk