Where’s the Varget gone!!! ? Recommendations

purdeydog

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Gutted! Only just found out Varget isn’t available any more. What are people using as a replacement? I use 38.8g of Varget for my 220 swift 40g bullets and 44.2g of Varget in my 308 with 185g Bergers. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Not too concerned about the swift, will probably use N140 from my other loads. But the .308, I have a ton of shoot data, be a shame to start over again. The 308, 185g are used for plinking out to 1000y. [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Any recommendations greatly received.[/FONT][/FONT]

ashray

get some reloader swiss BEFORE the price jumps up any more. i use rs52 in 243 and 308 but there are lots of rs powders. about £80 a kilo but it is going up!

Klenchblaize

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Gutted! Only just found out Varget isn’t available any more. What are people using as a replacement? I use 38.8g of Varget for my 220 swift 40g bullets and 44.2g of Varget in my 308 with 185g Bergers. [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Not too concerned about the swift, will probably use N140 from my other loads. But the .308, I have a ton of shoot data, be a shame to start over again. The 308, 185g are used for plinking out to 1000y. [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Any recommendations greatly received.[/FONT][/FONT]

Can't help as I still have 6 tubs but I can update you in how the vote to leave the EU went?

Only joshing.

Think I use an old tub of H4 something in my Swift so will watch your thread with interest.

K

potshotpat

[FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]Gutted! Only just found out Varget isn’t available any more. What are people using as a replacement? I use 38.8g of Varget for my 220 swift 40g bullets and 44.2g of Varget in my 308 with 185g Bergers. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]Not too concerned about the swift, will probably use N140 from my other loads. But the .308, I have a ton of shoot data, be a shame to start over again. The 308, 185g are used for plinking out to 1000y. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp][FONT=&amp]Any recommendations greatly received.[/FONT][/FONT]
Hi I only ever used Varget until it became unavailable, read somewhere that an alternative was IMR 4166. I bought some got the Data, little bit of calculator work and got great results. For my 308 reloads I used 44.5 grains to a 165grain Hornady BTSP interlock Bullet (#3045) (1grain less than Varget ) but you would have to work your own recipe. Good luck.:tiphat:

Rupert J

I used Varget for many years. It was great, but availability issues annoyed me. I persisted with it though. But, this year at the Shooting Show, I decided to move away from it once and for all. I now use Reload Swiss RS52 in my .243 & .308 and fine the performance just as good. I feel I should have changed a few years ago. I'll now stick with RS52.

25 Sharps

Hi I only ever used Varget until it became unavailable, read somewhere that an alternative was IMR 4166. I bought some got the Data, little bit of calculator work and got great results. For my 308 reloads I used 44.5 grains to a 165grain Hornady BTSP interlock Bullet (#3045) (1grain less than Varget ) but you would have to work your own recipe. Good luck.:tiphat:

Most IMR powders will also become unavailable shortly, as I was told (and clearly it paid off) when I started reloading, stick with European powders to avoid issues with US shortages in the future!!

ironmatt

ive got a nice big stash of varget for my .22-250 and .243 in my reloading room which I may be tempted to part with for the right price haha. other than that id be looking at N140 if I was you

Doctor No

With regards to the new IMR enduron powders these are reach compliant. I use IMR 4166 in .308 and with 155gr SMK, and I prefer it over N140.

Muir

ive got a nice big stash of varget for my .22-250 and .243 in my reloading room which I may be tempted to part with for the right price haha. other than that id be looking at N140 if I was you
Gad! I remember when Varget was unobtainium and one fellow on one of the other UK websites paid the US equivalent of, like, $650 for a partial 8 pounder. There are other powders!!

...but I have 28 pounds of it.:coat:~Muir

palo

What sort of velocity did you get with that load and how did it compare to your varget Load ?

potshotpat

What sort of velocity did you get with that load and how did it compare to your varget Load ?
Hi palo
Lapua case. COL 70.74. Rifle .308 Tikka 3, Average over chronograph 3 shots (2746). I'm not looking back to varget which I was happy with, because it wasn't available, so only did the calculations on IMR 4166 and I know it works on Boar ,Deer and you want to see what it does to a 1/2 inch thick lump of metal :tiphat: