Where Jamie Went Wrong?

Freeforester

Rather you than me! Once had a passer by (non-customer) ask me why the roe deer meat was so "tough"?
Transpired that her man had shot one one morning, and they tried eating the loin the same evening!

Mais enfin, chacon a son gout - Bon appetit!

jimmy milnes

J.O.
The cocky guy who made a lot of money by going on TV telling folk how cheap it is to make and eat healthy nutritional meals....
Then changed a fortune in his restaurants for meals !!!!!!
And he wonders where it all went wrong

jer

He made the unusual “celeb” mistake of being fairly competent in his chosen profession and being very lucky to get the exposure which made him a “celeb” but with success comes arrogance. He becomes an expert on Brexit whilst slagging off everyone who has a different view. He forgot the first rule of business, the customer is always right even when he is wrong and if he is wrong don’t tell him he’s an idiot. Maybe he has learnt not to alienate half of his customers and perhaps serve up decent food instead of overpriced shyte.

Klenchblaize

Rather you than me! Once had a passer by (non-customer) ask me why the roe deer meat was so "tough"?
Transpired that her man had shot one one morning, and they tried eating the loin the same evening!

Mais enfin, chacon a son gout - Bon appetit!
I fully accept venison that's suitably hung will taste better but even allowing for my preference for meat cooked some way from that of a 'blue' steak as per the above I wouldn't call it tuff!

K

enfieldspares

He seems to bastardise other cultures' food (some call it "appropriate") and then make out that he's telling his audience about something new and exciting that he has to share with them. Two being jollof rice from West Africa and what he claimed as Jamaican "jerk rice". Which last doesn't actually exist. There's no such thing as jerk rice.

To a West African or a Jamaican Oliver's what he calls "a twist" on the recipe would be like someone from there doing "a twist" on Britain's traditional staple of mashed potato by making it with added lemon wedges which he added to jollof rice or chopped ginger which was in his so called Jamaican jerk rice. Mmm. Very authentic.

In fact he reminds me with these two things of the character in the "Little Britain" series that used to introduce people to "my black friend". In one....which reminds me of Oliver....the David Walliams character has a bowl of chicken legs, a bowl of boled rice and a bowl, of tinned peas which he proudly shows as his chicken with rice and peas.

bowji john

I'm sorry - I quite liked the guy

Fabricated perhaps, but he has added something to our culinary knowledge

Of course he has copied other cultures cuisine - who hasn't?

In fact none of us come up with ideas in a vacuum - we are always borrowing from somewhere else

As for cost - I've yet to come across a restaurant that gives great value for money - it is all a compromise

He is part of life's rich tapestry

TH4

I for one dont worry about the cost if the food is good, but when it is very expensive and the food is mediocre I do not go back. That was why it lost money because he expected people to pay top money because of his name and not because the food was good. The food in his restaurant 15 is very good but the Jamie's Italian chain was very second rate.

PKL

I ate a couple times in his Italian cafe/restaurant in Edinburgh...the kids only wanted pasta or pizza, which should be easy in an Italian chain..but no, neither available!! Moronic doesn’t describe it...

I’m not a huge fan of “the wan*ing chef” as I call him!

Cumbrian 1

Cumbrian 1

Went to his sh*te Italian in Harrogate food was utterly crap I don't mind paying top dollar for decent food but this was one of the worst Italian meals ever in my mind a good Italian needs some Italian heritage in the staff.

Reactions: TH4

Milligan

Some amusing Jamie Oliver comments:

To quote one source from the above links:
"Has There Ever Been A Bigger Prick Than Jamie F***ing Oliver?"

I think not.
Packham?
I did chuckle, a colleague refered to Oliver as an FTC. I queried, he said "Fat Tongue C***".

20-250

Went to his sh*te Italian in Harrogate food was utterly crap I don't mind paying top dollar for decent food but this was one of the worst Italian meals ever in my mind a good Italian needs some Italian heritage in the staff.
I went to the Nottingham branch and had a similar experience. Bloody scruffy with poor food. In contrast, the Covent Garden one was a delight and Cardiff was okay.

Klenchblaize

Those fried potatoes look good!
Indeed! I rustle up something similar in the woods that tastes, as I'm sure you know, twice as good as anything consumed indoors. One has to achieve this level of culinary competence if they are going to compete with Sika Malc's "third sausage" offering!

K