Where to get rid of hares?

KAW2810

Does anyone know of a game dealer in the Nottinghamshire area who buys hares?
We have got a lot on our ground and they are starting to attract coursers so need to shoot a few but don't like doing it if they are going to go to waste.

Pine Marten

I would be delighted to come and help you thin out the hare population. And what's more, I'll eat them too. I love hare, but have never shot one. I had a chance once in Scotland but missed it when it took off like a cheetah, and another on a driven shoot with a no ground game rule. Other than that, I don't shoot anywhere where they're present unfortunately.

Squirrelbasher

We have got a lot on our ground and they are starting to attract coursers so need to shoot a few but don't like doing it if they are going to go to waste.

Thats the thing fella. Only way really, to stop the coursers is to shoot the hares. Like you say, it's a waste if nobody wants them. I'd be interested too, to find an outlet for hares.

jimbo1984

I would've thought any game dealer would buy hares I e never known one not to , have a similar problem on my ground down south absolutely alive with hares and they do attract undesirables

Cyres

Dont shoot that many but when I have had to sell them got £5 each for them, would of thought most game dealers would take them should command preimium price if head shot.

Why don't you try local butcher if its in an upmarket area would have thought they would go like hot cakes.

D

perdix

I've done the same in the past and it does solve the problem but it is a bloody shame to hammer them.It was in North Notts too BTW
It may be worth contacting your local Wildlife Liason copper and get a conviction of two against the dogmen if you feel able.

Pine Marten

I've done the same in the past and it does solve the problem but it is a bloody shame to hammer them.It was in North Notts too BTW
It may be worth contacting your local Wildlife Liason copper and get a conviction of two against the dogmen if you feel able.

Yes, I think that "starving out" the lurcher guys is a terrible way to have to deal with the problem. It's like shooting all the tigers to get rid of poachers, it's crazy. However letting a Pine Marten eat them is probably the way forward.

mark@mbb

If you can trap them i will buy a dozen for the fields at the back off me the do as you limeys have moved the others onto the local estate

filzee

If im honest i don't even know of a game dealer in Notts.
I was given this number for a guy called Tony whom is supposed to be a game dealer near Belvoir i think you can try him 07795664337

Apart from that i will have a word with a couple of guys on the shoot tomorrow and see if they know anyone for you.

​My permissions are crawling with hares but we don't seem to get any dog men down there and there is no real reason to shoot them at the minute

norma 308

Yes, I think that "starving out" the lurcher guys is a terrible way to have to deal with the problem. It's like shooting all the tigers to get rid of poachers, it's crazy. However letting a Pine Marten eat them is probably the way forward.
You dont miss a trick pm I suppose if u don't ask u don't get though I thought he was only asking for a game dealer not someone to shoot em too !
​Norma

KAW2810

Thanks for the input guys.
Filzee i will give that bloke a ring thanks for the number, The only game dealer around here is Sherwood Game but he wont take the hares as he says he has trouble shifting them as he doesn't send anything abroad and aparently thats where the majority of hares go.

filzee

No problem.

Where are Sherwood Game?
I've never really had to deal with game dealers as i mainly shoot pigeons and i have friends that take most of them. Every now and again i have a big day and would like another outlet for them.
​I'll ask around tomorrow see what comes of it

Akeld

If you have a game dealer with European connections it will be worth a try as the meat is more popular on the continent. Failing that old folks homes and then after all human avenues are exhausted your local bird of prey centre, or ask the local keeper if he wants any to bait his traps, might even open a door to more shooting that way

Pine Marten

You dont miss a trick pm I suppose if u don't ask u don't get though I thought he was only asking for a game dealer not someone to shoot em too !
​Norma

Well I took the view that he needed a reduction in hare numbers without the hares going to waste rather than specifically a dealer... But I am just being cheeky.

bewsher500

If you can freeze them I would take them
PM sent

that goes to anyone really.
since my foxes have dried up my taxidermy friend is demanding a I shoot hares!

Squirrelbasher

i agree it's not good. Trying to film the dog men in action for evidence is likely to lead to a smashed camera and a spell in hospital. They usually don't take kindly to being 'told off' if you know what I mean? By the time the police turn up they're gone or there's no evidence against them. Other than reducing the numbers of hares, there's not very much you can do to stop them in practical terms. Verbal abuse and threats seem to be the order of the day from most of them. The odd ones will leave when challenged, but not many.

roedeerred

Dog men coming out of the woodwork round here now got a text only an hour ago of silver Vectra near Selby with men and dogs running hares.
Hares are valuable for export this time of year apparently worth a lot of money on the contintent.

perdix

i agree it's not good. Trying to film the dog men in action for evidence is likely to lead to a smashed camera and a spell in hospital. They usually don't take kindly to being 'told off' if you know what I mean? By the time the police turn up they're gone or there's no evidence against them. Other than reducing the numbers of hares, there's not very much you can do to stop them in practical terms. Verbal abuse and threats seem to be the order of the day from most of them. The odd ones will leave when challenged, but not many.

We were lucky where I keepered as there were 7 of us on 24 call so dogmen were dealt with everytime we got the chance.
Spent many hours giving evidence in courts and many more laying in hedge bottoms ready to pounce.
I was just talking about this very problem today with a keeper up here and the threat of loosing certificates seems to be the problem when tackling them nowadays!Not fair or good when you think that on a night especially a gamekeeper has the powers of arrest on the land where he is employed.Surely anyone who is faced with violent conduct doing their job has the right to defend themselves without fear of this?