Which Field Saw

daw

Having gone through 3 field saws where the metal blade breaks away from the plastic handle, I'm after one where the blade and handle are made of one piece of metal i.e. a T shape.

It looks like the Casstrom field saw fits the bill at about £37. Any others please?

td

Having gone through 3 field saws where the metal blade breaks away from the plastic handle, I'm after one where the blade and handle are made of one piece of metal i.e. a T shape.

It looks like the Casstrom field saw fits the bill at about £37. Any others please?
. I bought the long casstrom blade and made my own handle cheap and affective

deerstalker.308

2nd the David Stretton bone saw, good piece of kit.

Personally i couldn’t disagree more, the handle gets slippery with blood and because it’s just a straight handle you can easily slip off it, also the blade doesn’t cut on both strokes (unless they’ve changed their design?) it might be fine for smaller deer but not larger one from my experience, the castrom ones absolutely get my vote having used both (and other cheaper copies)....

jackfish

Personally i couldn’t disagree more, the handle gets slippery with blood and because it’s just a straight handle you can easily slip off it, also the blade doesn’t cut on both strokes (unless they’ve changed their design?) it might be fine for smaller deer but not larger one from my experience, the castrom ones absolutely get my vote having used both (and other cheaper copies)....

Horses for courses mate, you like what you like and vice versa. Only giving my opinion on what suits me. Someone said opinions are like arseholes......we all have them and most if them stink!;)

deerstalker.308

Horses for courses mate, you like what you like and vice versa. Only giving my opinion on what suits me. Someone said opinions are like arseholes......we all have them and most if them stink!;)

Yes they did...... but so far seems I’m alone in comparing various options before making a decision, as I said, perhaps they’ve changed the blade they use but the one I had was next to useless.

Tim.243

I use a tripe knife to shear the ribs, however my hands are attached to wrists and arms arms that don't require a bone saw lol

Tim.243

Tim.243

you da man Tim! Although munties don’t take much effort!!

Yes....
rokzVjo.jpg

Tim.243

Rasputin

You reckon you could get through a red hind or stagger with it Tim? I’ve done plenty for but never thought to try on a bigger one.

deerstalker.308

You reckon you could get through a red hind or stagger with it Tim? I’ve done plenty for but never thought to try on a bigger one.

Its not always easy, but provided you offcenter the cut so you’re going through cartilage instead of the bone itself it’s totally possible, I’ve done big stags that way when I’ve forgotten a saw but it’s not the easiest!

Tim.243

You are only shearing through the cartilage on the breast bone, that Fallow was 66.5 kg.

What people forget is you can skin and joint a big beast with a small sharp knife, both my .243 and .270 go through 10mm plate @ 200 yards, yet I would be there a life time trying to make a 6mm hole in the plate with my knife.

I cut the crutch bone on Muntjac with my butchers saw as it is such a small space to get the bladder out.

Just because people do it one way the others follow, you can always find a different fix to any problem.

Tim.243

Freeforester

Curious to learn from where and how the blood gets on the handle? Usually have the blood out of them by the time the saw comes into play (have to admit to preferring the DS, but have used it as well as others, inc the totally crap Bushwear effort), but can't say I've ever had the saw handle slip on me?