Which Forces Issue AOLQ?

I'm not sure if it's had a mention yet (got to page 7 and gave up) but Gloucestershire do. I had AOLQ on my FAC for all my rifles from the .22lr up to my .338 Win Mag - Until renewal that is. They forgot to put it on and have asked me to send it back in to be corrected.

I got it added initially for my combi gun. Just having Deer listed (although that's how it is now until I send it back) meant that I couldn't legally fire the top barrel at anything. When I pointed that out they were pretty quick to help me out and add the condition to the end of my wording, meaning that all of them are now free to be used sensibly.

It's daft not to add it really. I guess you could go out and shoot a boar legally with a .22lr in some respects, but there are other welfare laws outside of the firearms acts that would most likely have you strung up by the balls if you did!

west mercia have just added to mine for .243 and .308, not on .17hmr or .22lr though, but not need so much as they stat vermin and fox which should cover for must things, hopefully :)

I guess that means that if you want to shoot crows you'll just have to use the .243? Oh well, it's not like you'd want to save the meat!

Well I had my F.E.O. round this morning, trolled through the usual, serial numbers/moderators/storage/stalking leases/vermin perms/.... finally a discussion centred on the issue of A.O.L.Q......... He was O.K. with it as far as I'm concerned, but had reservations with some other applicants / or renewing peeps, so it's all down to Ms Deighton now.:rolleyes:

Please let me know your thoughts on this, I have just got my ticket back today and had the aolq added I will type this word for word as its on my ticket right here goes.
Condition 7.The 6.5x55 rifle and ammunition shall be used for shooting deer and any lawful quarry and zeroing on ranges.
Condition 8.the certificate holder may possess ,purchase or acquire expanding ammunition,or the missiles of such ammunition, in 6.5x55 calibre's authorised by this certificate and use only in connection with lawful shooting of deer.
Tell me if I'm wrong but aren't these two conditions contradicting each other , condition 7 saying deer and any lawful quarry, and condition 8 saying only in connection with lawful shooting of deer.

Please let me know your thoughts on this, I have just got my ticket back today and had the aolq added I will type this word for word as its on my ticket right here goes.
Condition 7.The 6.5x55 rifle and ammunition shall be used for shooting deer and any lawful quarry and zeroing on ranges.
Condition 8.the certificate holder may possess ,purchase or acquire expanding ammunition,or the missiles of such ammunition, in 6.5x55 calibre's authorised by this certificate and use only in connection with lawful shooting of deer.
Tell me if I'm wrong but aren't these two conditions contradicting each other , condition 7 saying deer and any lawful quarry, and condition 8 saying only in connection with lawful shooting of deer.

Think your right there, also noticed that unless you have an extra condition allowing the rifles for use over land, there is no mention of what ground other than ranges where you can use the 6.5. Usually the condition goes on to say "any ground over,which you have legal authority to shoot" or words to that effect. This is listed individually for every calibre i have.

Ade

Think your right there, also noticed that unless you have an extra condition allowing the rifles for use over land, there is no mention of what ground other than ranges where you can use the 6.5. Usually the condition goes on to say "any ground over,which you have legal authority to shoot" or words to that effect. This is listed individually for every calibre i have.

Ade
hi ade they both do go on to say about the land deemed suitable by the chief of police, when I spoke to her last I requested my license to be opened up for this calibre as the land I shoot on has been cleared for .223, I told her that I had placed high seats around the ground and all had good back stops and were very safe, and that I would be very happy for someone to come out and take a look, she sounded impressed and said that I should write a letter confirming that and send it in along with proof of pass of dsc1 and my license, I done that waited a couple of weeks then rang her up enquiring about my license, she told me its being signed off and will be sent out shortly , so got my license and still closed:cuckoo:

Just got cert back after a variation, came back with AOLQ, much to my surprise.
I did not ask for it, so maybe just a matter of course now with Warwickshire ?

Shark, the second condition is the standard S5 exemption for expanding amunition. It is strange wording in that it limits you to using expanding ammunition only on deer, there is usually a bit about "and in connection with the management of any estate, other animals".

The two conditions refer to two different things. One covers the weapon only, the other covers the expanding ammunition only.

According to my FEO, having a DSC1 is no indication of competence to shoot over open land. You still need to be accompanied for six months.

Maybe he reconsiders after a DSC2 or Deer Management Course, but it certainly isn't mandatory after gaining a DSC1.

As far as I'm aware, even after attending LANTRA rimfire and centre fire Pest/Vermin/Fox Control Courses, he still puts a six month accompanied as a condition, as attending courses is no indication of competence, his words.

HI SB
iam also at a lost my cert is essex aswell ? who is your flo can i have his/her name as mine is dave h and he still has not got back to me, i have an open cert and was informed thay are still looking into the AOLQ by a letter from essex HQ firearms office vie the head of department ?? . so as far as i know you may be the only one with aolq all be it with some confusion on wording 7/8/ ? .if basc are looking at this site is there a wording letter that is for requesting AOLQ as setdown by ACPO :banghead:
thanks
paul o' :tiphat:

hi ade they both do go on to say about the land deemed suitable by the chief of police, when I spoke to her last I requested my license to be opened up for this calibre as the land I shoot on has been cleared for .223, I told her that I had placed high seats around the ground and all had good back stops and were very safe, and that I would be very happy for someone to come out and take a look, she sounded impressed and said that I should write a letter confirming that and send it in along with proof of pass of dsc1 and my license, I done that waited a couple of weeks then rang her up enquiring about my license, she told me its being signed off and will be sent out shortly , so got my license and still closed:cuckoo:

This seems to be a pick & mix approach to what should go on an FAC. How difficult can it be to follow a recommended format? As soon as someone in the back office tries to parse a straightforward sentence to insert something new they seem to make matters worse.

Here's the standard Home Office Conditions:-

Quarry Shooting (for vermin, fox or deer)

The *calibreRIFLE/COMBINATION/SMOOTH-BORE GUN/SOUND MODERATOR and ammunition shall be used for shootingvermin and ground game/fox/deer (delete as appropriate) and for zeroing on ranges, or land (deemed suitable by the chief officer of police for the area where the land is situated) and over which the holder has lawful authority toshoot.

Expanding Ammunition

The certificate holder may possess, purchase, or acquire expanding ammunition,

or the missiles of such ammunition, in the calibres authorised by this certificate and

use only in connection with:

(a) the lawful shooting of deer;

(b) the shooting of vermin or, in connection with the management of any estate, other wildlife;

(c) the humane killing of animals;

(d) the shooting of animals for the protection of other animals or humans.

ATB.

Last edited:
nice one mty
mine also has been naffed around with, each time over the last 30 yrs something added somthing removed ? in this day and age copy and paste is so easy to do. as you say if it was done as per your quote then what a wonderful and easy process it could be :banghead: ?

paul o'

This seems to be a pick & mix approach to what should go on an FAC. How difficult can it be to follow a recommended format? As soon as someone in the back office tries to parse a straightforward sentence to insert something new they seem to make matters worse.

Here's the standard Home Office Conditions:-

Quarry Shooting (for vermin, fox or deer)

The *calibreRIFLE/COMBINATION/SMOOTH-BORE GUN/SOUND MODERATOR and ammunition shall be used for shootingvermin and ground game/fox/deer (delete as appropriate) and for zeroing on ranges, or land (deemed suitable by the chief officer of police for the area where the land is situated) and over which the holder has lawful authority toshoot.

Expanding Ammunition

The certificate holder may possess, purchase, or acquire expanding ammunition,

or the missiles of such ammunition, in the calibres authorised by this certificate and

use only in connection with:

(a) the lawful shooting of deer;

(b) the shooting of vermin or, in connection with the management of any estate, other wildlife;

(c) the humane killing of animals;

(d) the shooting of animals for the protection of other animals or humans.

ATB.

I thought it might be interesting to see just how many county forces are now issuing AOLQ.
I will start, Northants now issue AOLQ.

Ian.

That is great news. I had AOLQ removed from my licence two years ago when I moved from TVP to Northants forces.
I asked Northants if I could keep it, but was categorically denied. I wanted it for Canada geese and potentially Wild boar but the FLO wanted me to jump through too many hoops to make it worthwhile.
So if I ask for AOLQ with my renewal next year I will certainly get it?

Last edited:
As far as I'm aware, even after attending LANTRA rimfire and centre fire Pest/Vermin/Fox Control Courses, he still puts a six month accompanied as a condition, as attending courses is no indication of competence, his words.

Glaring hole in B.A.S.C.'s remit here!

And here!......
According to my FEO, having a DSC1 is no indication of competence to shoot over open land. You still need to be accompanied for six months.

"The VOICE of SHOOTING!" We can't f***ing hear you!!!!!!!!!!!!

So how do you expect them to hear Ya?

Last edited by a moderator:
hi the saga go's on in sunny essex.
i have just got of the phone with HQ essex again and have been told there is to be a meeting this week , i also was informed its is down to the CC IN Charge OF ESSEX to decied if thay will adoped AOLQ in ESSEX ,AS at this time it is not being given out ?? Sharkbait who is your flo this could be very helpful to others in essex feller ? :-|

HI SB
iam also at a lost my cert is essex aswell ? who is your flo can i have his/her name as mine is dave h and he still has not got back to me, i have an open cert and was informed thay are still looking into the AOLQ by a letter from essex HQ firearms office vie the head of department ?? . so as far as i know you may be the only one with aolq all be it with some confusion on wording 7/8/ ? .if basc are looking at this site is there a wording letter that CAN BE USED SO NO MATTER WHO READS IT THAY CAN TELL THIS IS THE LAW AND NOT A HOME RULE MATTER for requesting AOLQ as setdown by ACPO sorry for shouting folks :banghead:

thanks
paul o' :tiphat:

Last edited:
Paul I think you will find that even though SB lists his location as Essex his Firearms dept is Met North, who are OK with AOLQ

Keep up the good work with Essex as I also would like this condition on my FAC and by the look of it you have the same FEO as me.

Back