Which new camera / system

BryanDC

My girlfriend would like to get a little more creative with photography and is starting a course in September. We have Panasonic micro 4/3rds camera right now which takes good photos but we are looking to upgrade a little. We had thought about a Canon EOS 800D or a Nikon D5600 both DSLRs. The guy at the local camera shop has thrown the Olympus OM-D E-M10 into the mix which is a micro 4/3rds system which has the advantage that we could interchange the lenses with the camera we have already. So does anybody have any thoughts? Has DSLR had its day? or are we better to go the mirrorless route which is where it will end one day anyway?

My son is a photographic journalist and has just told me to get a Nikon d3400 as a starter camera, says it will give excellent pics without been too difficult to use.

It is worth considering. When you line up the D3400 and the D5600 side by side, there isn't actually that much difference. Its the same with the Canon 200D and 800D there isn't that much difference in the models.

Personally, I've been using a Nikon 5300 for the last couple of years, but I'm just about to change to MFT..... either Lumix G80/GX9 or OM-D E-M10 mkIII.
I know I'm going to lose some low light performance, but the weight saving and 4K camera burst (Lumix) has sold it to me.
Good luck..... such a subjective subject.

Back