Which other meat (if any) do you mix minced venison with?

Another vote for venison/bacon burgers (smoked or non) and venison/chorizo burgers.
Normally 3 parts to 1 with some seasoning added in.

I’ve tried venison / bacon burgers they are delicious :)

Roll on the summer. BBQ time ( tried BBQ in the winter at home - frowned upon) its a summer thingy apparently

Oh, I BBQ all year long. Even in the snow. Who says we should not? All you need is protection from rain/snow. The cold is easy to deal with...

Interesting thread folks.

As with all things food this really comes down to personal preference. No right or wrong just what works for you (yourself)

As a butcher when we make sausages or burgers its usually about pleasing as many people as you can most of the time ( we want to sell them!) With venison we would recommend adding diced pork fat or if unavailable shoulder or belly. The fat delivers the moisture that pure venison mince will lack but as pork fat is a relatively neutral flavour doesn’t mask or cover the flavour of your hard aren’t spoils. When you cook sausages or burgers it’s a pretty vigourous cooking process & the meat really benefits from the additional fat. Goose fat or duck fat also works very nicely too & can be found canned in most Supermarkets.

Beef fat & lamb fat are both strong flavours. I am sure there are people out there with some great recipes that use them & would swear by it. Who’s to say they are wrong?

If you want to add moisture & richness to your venison though without overpowering its natural flavour I would avoid them.

I don't add anything at all for burgers. Just neat venison, no pork, no egg, maybe some salt and pepper.

I don't add any other meat to it for bolognese or chilli etc

The only time I cut my venison with anything is in sausages. In that case it's 30/70 belly pork plus whatever seasoning, rusk, flavour I want to add.

Just made some burgers 100% roe meat but added kaffir lime leaf, chilli, salt and pepper and my own wee trick is a ball of mozerella in the centre.
My son and I have a burger off every few weeks.
As long as you dont over cook the burger most everything is delicious.

I’ve done :
Pork 50 & 25% brilliant
50% rabbit Ok to good

50% lamb I’ve found with a generous dollop of herbs and chilled cider has been the best tasty sausage yet

But I have had some serious contenders for the worlds worst sausage - Celerac is a definite no no with any meat even the dogs left em :oops:

I’ve found coarse mince and some filler herbs etc really help to make a decent sausage, I did fine mince some venison on its own in a chipolata skin, I could have knocked them into an oak plank

Pork head meat is good. We aim for about 25% fat for burgers, and 20% plus rusk for sausages. It also works really well with rabbit mince to make seekh kebabs. They used to be a summer BBQ favourite, just don't get them in any numbers these days.

Just made some burgers 100% roe meat but added kaffir lime leaf, chilli, salt and pepper and my own wee trick is a ball of mozerella in the centre.
My son and I have a burger off every few weeks.
As long as you dont over cook the burger most everything is delicious.

Does the mozzarella soak into the burger or stay as a ball, I might give that a go, fired the BBQ up today :tiphat:

Mostly stays as a ball I slice it thinly rather than put a lump in.
I always cook mine in a pan all be it outside on a gas burner.
Happy BBQing

I forgot to write an update. I tried a 50-50 mixture roe/sika mince and pork with 20% fat content. Added a bit of turmeric, some dried onion and dried garlic, some pepper, some salt, some smoked paprika, a touch of cumin and corriander and the result was truly exquisite. It was the tastiest burgers I have ever made...

Chorizo is good in chilli as well, render the fats out of the chopped chorizo then brown the mince. Yum.

Do people hand press or burger press their burgers? Always found mine to be a bit solid, though may need more fat in them reading this. Trying to be too healthy!

I've only started making sausage and mince.
So far I have been mixing my venison with pork belly.
Tried 50/50 mix and 70% venison 30% pork belly.
So far I'm really liking the sausages and burgers with the 70/30 mix!

All the best

Ben

I cut all my venison into stew meat size pieces. When I need ground (minced):british:meat, I take out some and grind it. At that time I add pork for spaghetti and what we call pan sausage. to make hamburger I then add what we call ground hamburger( US 70%beef 30% fat), in equal weights . This makes juicy burgers. That way the fat, which spoils quicker, is left out of the frozen venison until needed.

Back