Which Rifle?

Stoney Creek - Purpose Built Shooting Clothing

Pedro

I want to get a .223 rifle and really don't know what to get. It shall be used for occasional fox control mainly. I'm left handed but have always shot with right handed bolt action rifles and my other rifle is right handed, so I want to keep it the same. So really I'm after an off the shelf rifle with an ambidextrous stock. It would be silly to be shooting a rifle with a big lump of wood (or plastic or whatever) on the wrong side to my cheek. New or nearly new would do.

It won't see a fantastic amount of use, so to get an expensive one seems a bit wasteful. From a general search around on the internet and in local shops, the choice is limited. Tikka T3's I guess are one option, ten a penny though. The Howa 1500 seems possible. I could get their inclusive deal and maybe use the scope that comes with it on my rimfire and get a better scope. But are they a little cheap and cheerful?

Any suggestions as to what I could look out for?

Sinistral

I want to get a .223 rifle and really don't know what to get. It shall be used for occasional fox control mainly. I'm left handed but have always shot with right handed bolt action rifles and my other rifle is right handed, so I want to keep it the same. So really I'm after an off the shelf rifle with an ambidextrous stock. It would be silly to be shooting a rifle with a big lump of wood (or plastic or whatever) on the wrong side to my cheek. New or nearly new would do.

It won't see a fantastic amount of use, so to get an expensive one seems a bit wasteful. From a general search around on the internet and in local shops, the choice is limited. Tikka T3's I guess are one option, ten a penny though. The Howa 1500 seems possible. I could get their inclusive deal and maybe use the scope that comes with it on my rimfire and get a better scope. But are they a little cheap and cheerful?

Any suggestions as to what I could look out for?

I'm not following you. If you shoot from the left shoulder any stock would do, apart from a righthanded stock with a rollover cheekpiece. If from the right shoulder then any RH stock will work....... and there are zillions to choose from.

Pedro

Probably not making myself clear. I shoot from the left shoulder but want a right handed action but ambidextrous stock, ie. not with a R/H cheekpiece. So for example most Tikka T3's would do, but a Sako, all of which seem to have a cheekpiece would not. I suppose there are quite a few to choose from, I was just wondering what other lefties who may be in the same circumstances do.

The deer man

Hello Pedro, in the same quandary as you and looking for a 223, right handed with an ambidextrous stock as my son is left handed (I'm right handed).
I've looked at the Tikka T3, Kimber Pro Hunter, Howa, Remmington and Weatherby but still not sure which to go for but I've handled the Kimber seen it apart and like it. It's a bit more money (£1,200) but appears to be built the best. After the Kimber I think I would choose the T3 Light Stainless. . . we shall see.

Pedro

The Kimber. Not one I'd have thought of, but looks like it could fit the bill nicely. Nice wood on them, not the cheapest though. I have heard good reports of the Howa too, a budget rifle that shoots above it's weight. Decisions, decisions. Thanks for the suggestions.

bigyin

another thumbs up for the howa , i too was a little dubious as they were pretty cheap but i really couldnt fault mine ,the trigger was a little heavy but can be lightned in a matter of minutes to be spot on , ive shot with a few different makes of factory rifles over the years and this howa .223 is more accurate than any of them :D

pietasvenatores

being a hator of factory stuff...I suggest you go on guntrader and buy the howa 1500 .222 in the RWS stockfor £125, re-barrel with 24" to 26" cut rifled barrel in 1:10, then stick it in a choate synthetic with a medium harris swivel and a 10 round AI bottom metal with a piccy rail and leupy MK4 on top, and tune the trigger to sing like and angel.now that would make a heck of a varminter.

trust me, I don't like synthetic stocks or 'stuff like that', but it woud be a sweet setup.

The Singing Stalker

So what was wrong with the t3?
you want an occasional use rifle, that is accurate, cheap and reliable. Um, but you don't want a Tika?.
sorry I must be missing something.
but I had rh ambidextrous rifles then shot a proper left handed one with the bolt on the left and replaced all my kit to left hand cos it was so much better. But each to their own.

Pedro

The Singing Stalker: Nothing wrong with the t3. I haven't said there is. Neither did I say I don't want one. All I said was they're ten a penny, by which I mean they're numerous out there, which means they're popular. I haven't owned one, so I can't express an opinion. I may indeed end up getting one. I just want to see what anyone else has, see what the alternatives are.

I get what you say about left handed rifles, fair point and more food for thought for me. :D

The Singing Stalker

Ah it was the tone of your typing. Lol. I have 2 of them. There was a poll on here recently and they come out very high. Both of mine are accurate and with good balanced accurate triggers. Now if they brought out a Tika HMR in left hand then I would have one of those as well.
I prefer the black to wood. Others disagree. CZ are also good, probably more worker type. I didn't like the x bolt because I personally found the trigger too heavy, couldn't get it below 3lbs. But if you like a. Heavy trigger then they are also a nice accurate rifle. Those are all the ones I can remember shooting.
but definitely see if you can try a true left hand. I would never buy a rh rifle now.

Leica Amplus 6