Which scope ?

owdnorthener

Hi all, I am looking for a higher mag scope than my Duralyt 3-12 x 50, as my old eyes are not what they were.
Now what to buy? A Z6i 3-18x50 BT Mk2 has caught my eye. Would moving to this make a noticeable improvement ?
I shoot on range at mostly 200yds. Also intend to stalk roe using my .223 with this.
Thanks for reading. Alan.

Overlay

Try and see if a zeiss with a x 15 mag works for you, the glass is 1st class and clear as a bell, ive got the v6 and its a fantastic bit of kit, I’m a dyed in the wood zenith Schmidt man, but I’m very pleased with the zeiss just that extra bit of mag does make a difference particulately for 200 yd range

gixer1

I made exactly the same purchase - a Z6i in 3-18x50 after having a Duralyt for many years, you won’t be disappointed.

although the Duralyt is a fantastic scope that I think punches above its weight and I still have mine.

I notice you are in Scotland, if you are up Aberdeenshire way you are welcome to look through both side by side.

regards,
Gixer

Malxwal

Try and see if a zeiss with a x 15 mag works for you, the glass is 1st class and clear as a bell, ive got the v6 and its a fantastic bit of kit, I’m a dyed in the wood zenith Schmidt man, but I’m very pleased with the zeiss just that extra bit of mag does make a difference particulately for 200 yd range
Wish Schmidt would do a Zenith or Stratos to 16x.
I have the 13x Stratos on my 22-250, and its good for roe out past 200.

owdnorthener

Thanks for the advice chaps, I will take it onboard and let you know when I have it sorted.
Gixer, thanks for the kind offer, but I am in Dunfermline and is a little to far. That would be the best way though, a straight comparison.
Thanks all. Alan.

Steff

My eyes sight is also not up there where it used to be. And I have a corneal irregularity. This makes the use of regular reticles like #4 or #7 difficult for me. I thought I could cure this by going up in magnification, expecially for load development at the range.
Lately I stumbled onto a sweet little Zeiss Diavari-C 3-9x36 with a Duplex reticle with the posts of the crosshair tapering to zero subtension in the very middle. And guess what, this is now my favorite scope. It is the style of the reticle which makes the difference for me, not the magnification.

Sika98k

My eyes sight is also not up there where it used to be. And I have a corneal irregularity. This makes the use of regular reticles like #4 or #7 difficult for me. I thought I could cure this by going up in magnification, expecially for load development at the range.
Lately I stumbled onto a sweet little Zeiss Diavari-C 3-9x36 with a Duplex reticle with the posts of the crosshair tapering to zero subtension in the very middle. And guess what, this is now my favorite scope. It is the style of the reticle which makes the difference for me, not the magnification.
The Zeiss Diavari C. A classic scope, I have one on my 275 and love it.

DK.260

Hi all, I am looking for a higher mag scope than my Duralyt 3-12 x 50, as my old eyes are not what they were.
Now what to buy? A Z6i 3-18x50 BT Mk2 has caught my eye. Would moving to this make a noticeable improvement ?
I shoot on range at mostly 200yds. Also intend to stalk roe using my .223 with this.
Thanks for reading. Alan.
Alan, I am in st Andrews. I know the feeling .....If you want to have a look through a Z6 3-18x50, Z6 3-15x56, NF 4-14x56 at my place.....drop me a line.

JTO

Rather than a high end brand, you could look through something with a larger front end, Sightron for example.

jay 22

Always been a zeiss fan myself. They make superb glass and a number of good reticle.

Can't go wrong with swarovski scopes also

owdnorthener

Great advice, many thanks.
DK.260, at the moment I have a lot on at home and don't have much spare time, but its very kind of you to offer, and I will keep this in mind.
I have shot clays now and again at Cluny clays, so going to Cluny shop may be ok and closer to let me compare. Being older I tend to drive shorter trips.
I will let you know if I manage to make up my mind ........ I do faff a little sometimes.
Regards all, Alan.