which scope ??

James Todd

i currently have a schmidt 8x56 on my 22250 remmy but am finding it increasingly difficult shooting at long range when lamping (400 yds +) sooo my question is how much is my scope worth in excellent condition with no marks to glass and no ring marks to speak of and should i be looking for something up to x16 or as high as x24 ?? i m thinking swaro and dont really want to spend more than 1000 and dont mind second hand

srvet

Throwing aside the ethics of 400 yard shots which will no doubt be discussed at length before long.... I would go for a 6-24x for the use described rather than a 4-16

ok now sit and wait.....

Taff

don,t know why so many people are slagging of your idea of 400yds on fox, assuming you carry a wind meter, range finder and have a top quality scope , home load and have a balistics program on your phone, shoot of quad sticks or a vehicle, then you are ready to go, i am not taking the pxxs. £1000 plus the value of your scope £400 may get you a second hand 6 x 24 the make is upto you.

redlab

i currently have a schmidt 8x56 on my 22250 remmy but am finding it increasingly difficult shooting at long range when lamping (400 yds +) sooo my question is how much is my scope worth in excellent condition with no marks to glass and no ring marks to speak of and should i be looking for something up to x16 or as high as x24 ?? i m thinking swaro and dont really want to spend more than 1000 and dont mind second hand

im impressed you can see anything at 400 yards with a 8x56 let alone identify it!!!

James Todd

Strange...the two range finders we use must be wrong .and im sure I didnt ask anyone to comment on anything apart from what my scope was worth and any suggestions on an upgrade .....yes I do shoot off a vehicle and yes I do have to take long range shots although I may have worded it wrongly as the longer shots are mainly daytime but occasionally I do have to shoot long range at night ...taff thanks for the constructive reply :)

375win

A man needs to do what a man needs to do. I bought a Swaro Z5 5-25x52, don't do any night shooting but I find it quite good at dusk. Cheers, John

Klenchblaize

Your scope's fine. Just replace your 22-250 with a wee .22 Hornet and add some Fieldcraft.
:stir:

Cheers!

K
:coat:

Taff

blxxxxy Hxxl I have shot squirrels higher than that in trees with my .22 they fall so fast and far they burn up during re entry. O forgot you should not mention shooting into trees on this site.
I don,t like shooting fallow at that distance I find it unsporting, now roe is a different story:rofl:.
Ignore the neigh Sayers the only shooting most of them do, is shooting down posts they don,t like. :D

Erik Hamburger

don,t know why so many people are slagging of your idea of 400yds on fox, assuming you carry a wind meter, range finder and have a top quality scope , home load and have a balistics program on your phone, shoot of quad sticks or a vehicle, then you are ready to go, i am not taking the pxxs. £1000 plus the value of your scope £400 may get you a second hand 6 x 24 the make is upto you.

I think it is fair to say that it looks as if you do not actually go out a lot to shoot foxes at night. I can just see myself spotting a fox at 400 yards ;) , measuring the wind, range-finding, consulting my ballistic program on my phone, dialling in the numbers on the scope, line up the shot, and take this (very patient!) fox ! A flying pig? Maybe . But a fox? Hmm.

night stalker

If I had the spare cash I would be buying a bushnell elite 6-24x50, I own 2 bushnell scopes and really rate them, below is a good deal

ET6245F ET6245FG Bushnell Elite Tactical 6 - 24 x 50mm Rifle Scope - Illuminated Mil-Dot or G2 Reticle

For the money your looking to spend you could get a leupold 6.5-20x50.

I have 2 mates that use them and although the light gathering at dusk is not as good as my PMII but you won't get a high mag PMII in your price range.

Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x50 Long Range Target - Optics - Gun Shop, Shotguns, Rifles, Pistols, Air Rifles, Airguns, Gun Trader, Rifle Scopes, Accessories, Cabinets, Safes in Dorset and Devon, UK, Sportsman Gun Centre

Sportsmans are also flogging off their stock of Nikon scope so have some good deals in the clearance section.

Nikon Monarch III 8-32x50ED - Optics - Gun Shop, Shotguns, Rifles, Pistols, Air Rifles, Airguns, Gun Trader, Rifle Scopes, Accessories, Cabinets, Safes in Dorset and Devon, UK, Sportsman Gun Centre

Nikon Monarch III 6-24x50SF - Optics - Gun Shop, Shotguns, Rifles, Pistols, Air Rifles, Airguns, Gun Trader, Rifle Scopes, Accessories, Cabinets, Safes in Dorset and Devon, UK, Sportsman Gun Centre

Rick

Last edited:

Taff

I think it is fair to say that it looks as if you do not actually go out a lot to shoot foxes at night. I can just see myself spotting a fox at 400 yards ;) , measuring the wind, range-finding, consulting my ballistic program on my phone, dialling in the numbers on the scope, line up the shot, and take this (very patient!) fox ! A flying pig? Maybe . But a fox? Hmm.
shows how little you know, we spot foxes a lot further sometimes, always carry a range finder, and a wind meter and binoculars, due to rigid testing of loads there is not the need to check your ballistic charts every time, your foxes might be lamp shy, but ours generally only get lamped ones in there lifetime. As to pigs have shot a few but not many of them were flyin.