Which shooting sticks?

aris

I see mono,bi,tri,quad. Lots of choice, but what are the ups and downs of each? I don't mind spending money on a good product that will last, as long as it is not silly money.

I'm 6'4" if that is a consideration.

casper

Quad sticks by limulus, he makes them to suit your height. I'm as tall as you and tried trigger sticks (tripod) and found it a bit low and not as comfortable as quad sticks.

Tim.243

I see mono,bi,tri,quad. Lots of choice, but what are the ups and downs of each? I don't mind spending money on a good product that will last, as long as it is not silly money.

I'm 6'4" if that is a consideration.
I find it far more satisfying to make my own quad sticks, in truth the basics are only 8 holes in 4 sticks and 4 bolts!

The tasks of putting up shelf's and house hold DIY for people to get a pass out to go shooting is far complicated.....

I work off the principle " if you want it done right, do it your self "

Tim.243

karlbird

As far as quad sticks go, I've used a few but would recommend looking at Monkey sticks on here and make your own. I spent over £200 on a set of Derek Clifford Quad Sticks and wish I hadn't bothered. I got the longest ones and now I realise they are still not long enough, the bolts come lose and they need constant looking after (oiling) and they warp when the humidity changes. Pros - they look great and get lots of comments, and if you clang them on the rifle it's a dull natural wooden sound, and the ability to change angle without moving the feet is a bonus.

My old man has a pair of limulus ones. Granted, lots get sold so they must be good , but he finds them complicated to open (has to be done in a certain way) and I agree.

The new Viper Flex look good but the holes whistle (think you get a kit now to stop it or tape it up) - if they'd been on the market when I bought my Clifford's I'd have probably gone this way. They are height adjustable too so that's a bonus.

Several people I stalk with use the monkey stick recipe and they seem to be great, and cheap and can be made how you want them.

aris

So quad is the way to go? Saw a chap on the bay who sells ones he makes himself. Anyone have any experience with them? Price is right - I'd possible spend more getting the bits to make it myself. 162166135605

McKenzie

6"3" & I use Limulus's quad sticks for standing during the summer months & Knobloch twin-sticks for a quick closer woodland shot or my preferred shot, sitting. I've adapted the quad-sticks to make them very easy to open by fitting tap washers on the bolts between the sticks & outdoor velcro to the shafts to prevent them clattering. I didn't use the quad-sticks for the first year as they seemed to require a sudden movement to open them & were noisy too, neither of which helps with stalking but I'm delighted with them now.

Last edited:

huntsman

Aris , quad sticks are the way to go. Previously I used vanguard mono /bi/tripod combo and I have made quad sticks out of garden cane ,wooden dowels and to be honest since I bought the viper flex sticks (Hammond) I wouldn't have anything else.
I have the basic ones which can be broken down into 4 pieces. There is also a very expensive multi piece set (good for travel). The adjustment holes can whistle in the wind . I know that viper flex has an accessory kit to address this problem, but not sure what they have suggested. I have set mine such that when together the yoke is at chin height, I have taped the adjust holes with a roll insulating tape which solves the whistle problem. The final modification is to add a piece of para cord between the front and rear pairs to stop them opening out too far . As for your height , one of my shooting buddies is about 6'3-6'4 and he loves his. Basically they are money well spent .
The only problem you might encounter if you tape the legs you can't shorten them, so can you get them in your vehicle?

Last edited:

paul o'

+1 and it matters not if you bust a leg off one :norty:

I find it far more satisfying to make my own quad sticks, in truth the basics are only 8 holes in 4 sticks and 4 bolts!

The tasks of putting up shelf's and house hold DIY for people to get a pass out to go shooting is far complicated.....

I work off the principle " if you want it done right, do it your self "

Tim.243

Cris

I made some quad sticks. They never left the house. Just to cumbersome and inflexible in my opinion. Back to my trusty telescopic tri sticks that I paid £30 for. Can use them way down low for prone shots, sitting shots and standing shots with 2 or all three legs deployed. They adjust to any un even ground and I can pan to follow a beast no problem. To much hyp over quad sticks I feel.

Vipa

I've had the original quad sticks and they are a PITA in my honest opinion... a right fart on and difficult to deploy and mount quickly.. once you're on there they are great but getting there will probably mean the deer has disappeared.. I think Tony's (Limulus) version uses square profile legs so they don't twist and are therefore easier to use.. Anyhoo.. got rid of my (round section original) quad sticks as they were pretty useless unless you had a good minute or 2 to get set up!

Have a set of Bogpod bipod sticks which are great.

Bought some trigger sticks a few years ago and sent them back as they were too heavy and not versatile enough (i.e. standing only or if you got the short sitting/kneeling only) they need to cover every position... Mag357 has a set of the gen 2 deluxe trigger sticks in tripod... what a difference.. prefect weight, the legs now go out to such an angle that they will work in any position but prone, and even then, with the right technique, it can be done, beautifully made and solid as a rock as well as being silent in operation and very smooth... so good I've ordered myself a set!

Ranger22

Home made quad sticks, once you use them you wonder how you managed before. Following deer is easy, lift one set of legs and pivot on the others. I shoot 80% of my deer off quad sticks now, before it was almost 100% off the bipod. Only time I find them a pain is when I'm dragging deer.

Dalua

I use a Primos trigger bipod stick when after rabbits and foxes with .22 and .223.

On a range recently I saw a man using a set of square-section quad-sticks put 4 out of 4 shots into a roebuck-target's chest at 300yds. They might be slower to deploy but, well: my goodness!

Vipa

I use a Primos trigger bipod stick when after rabbits and foxes with .22 and .223.

On a range recently I saw a man using a set of square-section quad-sticks put 4/4 bullets into a roebuck-target's chest at 300yds. They might be slower to deploy but, well: my goodness!
once you are set up and on a set of quadsticks it is as solid as being prone and on a bipod... i just fount it too faffy for stalking with... each to their own though..

Tim.243

Just got is from putting a Muntjac in the chillier I shot earlier off my home made quad sticks, as per my previous post most satisfying.

I could have not shot it using a bi-pod as the rows of straw would have blocked my line of sight, nice distance of 145 paces.

Back out foxing as soon as I hit the post icon..........

Tim.243

Scarlet

Those quad sticks and the like are commonly known a "pussy sticks" I took a guy out with me who used them, showed him a few close Deer and to cut a long story short. He shot feck all.. Too much fannying about setting them up.
He insisted that I try them, which I did and to be honest they gave a solid support. But the problem is your in trouble if you need a fast set up.
As for those green garden cane`s all I can say is good luck with them :cuckoo:
I`ve used these Hazel sticks that I cut out of an hedge for the best part of ten years and believe me they out perform any of the commercial stuff in more ways than one.

Vipa

Those quad sticks and the like are commonly known a "pussy sticks" I took a guy out with me who used them, showed him a few close Deer and to cut a long story short. He shot feck all.. Too much fannying about setting them up.
He insisted that I try them, which I did and to be honest they gave a solid support. But the problem is your in trouble if you need a fast set up.
As for those green garden cane`s all I can say is good luck with them :cuckoo:
I`ve used these Hazel sticks that I cut out of an hedge for the best part of ten years and believe me they out perform any of the commercial stuff in more ways than one.

I thought it was just a black strip across the eyes for the readers wives section Scarlet!?!? :rofl:

Are you really doing cow horns with your right hand there!? :p Rock n roll man!!

Last edited:

Scarlet

Remember writing this viperboy

" she gets lovingly scrubbed, bathed and oiled up after every outing....[/QUOTE]
So its not surprising to me that you`ve started with more sexual predator talk..
But yes the right hand is making animal shapes :D
Can you see how that whole piece of complex kit is held together with, well just some old rubber inner tube..