which small cf round

sharkey

Lets be practical instead of "expert". You have a 243win & might start to reload & you want something a wee bit smaller. I have chosen the 22 250 as my little centerfire simply because it has the same head size ( see which end the head is actually on everyone) as the 30 06 family of cartridges which includes the 243 & it uses large rifle primers instead of small. It not just simplifies reloading, but those little small rifle primers get harder to fiddle with as the eyes & fingers get older. Who says a 22 250 has to be pushed harder than a 222? For me the 22 250 is a pest gun & I dont mind dropping the speed down a bit as I get better penetration on larger animals & I only use the case because of the large primer & head size not the increased case capacity.

Last edited:
Reactions: VSS

scoby270

223, I have a remmy 700 vssf that is a tack driver, people dismiss remmies off hand too often, don't think they would have sold over 5 million of them if they are that bad to use.

scoby 270

jer

Lets be practical instead of "expert". You have a 243win & might start to reload & you want something a wee bit smaller. I have chosen the 22 250 as my little centerfire simply because it has the same head size ( see which end the head is actually on everyone) as the 30 06 family of cartridges which includes the 243 & it uses large rifle primers instead of small. It not just simplifies reloading, but those little small rifle primers get harder to fiddle with as the eyes & fingers get older. Who says a 22 250 has to be pushed harder than a 222? For me the 22 250 is a pest gun & I dont mind dropping the speed down a bit as I get better penetration on larger animals & I only use the case because of the large primer & head size not the increased case capacity.
Spot on, the 22.250 is easy to reload and very accurate.

25 Sharps

Depends how much you shoot, a 22-250 is till going to use more powder than a 0.222 which would be a consideration if you shoot a lot of rounds (as I do), as for small primers being more fiddly I don't handle primers when loading, just tip straight from the box into either the lee press mounted primer or lee hand primer trays so small or large makes no difference.

I don't understand the benefit of having the same rim diameter which is the bit you're actually talking about (Rim can have a different diameter to the head, see .22 nosler and other rebated rim cartridges) other than being able to use the same shell holder or same bolt face in a single rifle, what's the benefit?

sharkey

Spot on, the 22.250 is easy to reload and very accurate.
Yes, my bad. In my effort to show its practicality, I also forgot to mention how inherently accurate the 22 250 is.
Seriously if you already own a chambering in a 30 06 case head & you are reloading, why would you buy a 22 centrefire with a smaller case head & primer? The 22 250 can be loaded down to 222 & 223 performance if that is what someone wants.

sharkey

Depends how much you shoot, a 22-250 is till going to use more powder than a 0.222 which would be a consideration if you shoot a lot of rounds (as I do), as for small primers being more fiddly I don't handle primers when loading, just tip straight from the box into either the lee press mounted primer or lee hand primer trays so small or large makes no difference.

I don't understand the benefit of having the same rim diameter which is the bit you're actually talking about (Rim can have a different diameter to the head, see .22 nosler and other rebated rim cartridges) other than being able to use the same shell holder or same bolt face in a single rifle, what's the benefit?

View attachment 123823
You "shoot a lot" & you are getting into semantics over rim & case head, & a few grains of powder?

TH4

22-250 / 220 Swift is virtually a .243 with .224 bullet, so the OP could load 58 / 55 gr .243 and get identical performance.

I'd go 0.223 or if you fancy something a bit different and happy to reload .222 or .204.
220 swift is nearer to a 270 case than a 243 longer and also is rimmed. 22/250 is like the 243.

Sinistral

Good Afternoon All,

I currently am just looking into getting a vermin/fox capable small cal centrefire in the summer that's between my wmr and 243,

I don't currently home load for my 243 as yet, This may change in the future though.

I was just wanting a recommendation for a small cf that's going to be used for static shooting mainly vermin but fox capable out to
250 yds shooting distances, but is good for a beginner or for someone new to reloading that's easy to reload for.

Any help appreciated thanks

AJ
The only answer has to be the .223. On any comparison ammunition or cases for the .222 aren’t so easy to get hold of & the .22-250 is not a cartridge for beginners.
I have all three but the .223 is the one I’d recommend because it fits his needs.Since the .22-250 appeared, the .220 is as dead as spats so really isn’t worth a mention. :)

Edinburgh Rifles

wow.
So 204ruger, 20Tac, 20 prac, 222, 223, 22-250, 220 swift, 6BR, 6.5Grendel.. and the 243 the OP already has...

"I don't currently home load "
"used for static shooting mainly vermin but fox capable out to
250 yds shooting distances "

just get a .222/223 and be done with it
cheaper to feed (PPU at £12-13 a box, if your dealer isn't holding at least 3 flavours of .222 he is not to be trusted!!!)
Eminently capable out to 250yds
Numerous guns available in numerous formats for silly money

25 Sharps

220 swift is nearer to a 270 case than a 243 longer and also is rimmed. 22/250 is like the 243.
How so?

I based on case capacity
243 60 Gr bullet 37-48gr of powder depending on what powder.

220 swift around 33-42gr. How is it like a .270 at 50 gr+?

Sonicdmb73

And conversely lose money when you sell it on.

And my RFD has Hornady and Nosler on the shelf.

Or buy 100 factory, choot ‘em

Don’t disagree that wildcats can offer good value for money but for a new reloader I don’t think they’re a good idea, an established cartridge with plenty of published data is a far better bet.

For pure availability of brass and bullets .223 is the sensible option and as someone else has said a 1:9 twist gives the option of a fair spread of bullet weights
I did say that in an earlier post. 223 or 222 would be the best choice IMO based solely on new Reloader and available bullets etc etc.
However if you want to go down the 20 cal road I’m not convinced 204 is the best choice.
Yes you’ve found some brass, but it’s a long trip for the OP if he wants more than brass.
There’s a good amount of data listed for 20 Tactical. From various powder manufacturers. 20 Practical is almost identical.
You are right there might be a loss selling a custom on again. But then again you could of bought an action, stock trigger etc for a custom job of your own. Once you have worn out the barrel that comes with it.
The Sako action on mine is apparently worth quite a lump of what I paid.

Sonicdmb73

223, I have a remmy 700 vssf that is a tack driver, people dismiss remmies off hand too often, don't think they would have sold over 5 million of them if they are that bad to use.

scoby 270
You are correct they are decent enough rifles. The only thing I would say is he might as well just use light bullets in his 243.
The advantage of 223 etc is you can use a lighter rifle. With an action scaled to the round.

25 Sharps

Both dealers local to
I did say that in an earlier post. 223 or 222 would be the best choice IMO based solely on new Reloader and available bullets etc etc.
However if you want to go down the 20 cal road I’m not convinced 204 is the best choice.
Yes you’ve found some brass, but it’s a long trip for the OP if he wants more than brass.
There’s a good amount of data listed for 20 Tactical. From various powder manufacturers. 20 Practical is almost identical.
You are right there might be a loss selling a custom on again. But then again you could of bought an action, stock trigger etc for a custom job of your own. Once you have worn out the barrel that comes with it.
The Sako action on mine is apparently worth quite a lump of what I paid.
You can buy brass by post!

25 Sharps

You are correct they are decent enough rifles. The only thing I would say is he might as well just use light bullets in his 243.
The advantage of 223 etc is you can use a lighter rifle. With an action scaled to the round.
Which is why the 527 is so good, micro Mauser action that so light and proven. Had a 527 .223 varmint laminate which was great but where this action shines is as a light carry rifle so wooden (not laminate) or synthetic stock and shorter barrel. My 527 hornet is my favourite rifle, with a dm80 is as light as anything!

Dazza9t9

I have been considering a similar thing. I have a 22lr, 17hmr and a 243, I have also started to reload my own 243, therefore I wanted something to sit between the 17 and 243, and be able to load

Initially I thought 223, however I am still researching and considering

25 Sharps

I have been considering a similar thing. I have a 22lr, 17hmr and a 243, I have also started to reload my own 243, therefore I wanted something to sit between the 17 and 243, and be able to load

Initially I thought 223, however I am still researching and considering
.22 hornet

MACKY

I would look no further than a .222 50 or 55gr bullets out to 200y without any trouble and not to expensive to feed.

Sauer90

FIFY