Which Tikka?

Rob-E

I have done a fair few searches and have read some articles dating back 7years or more but thought I would get an up to date opinion in case it had changed.

Essentially my FAC is on its way and I've got .308 on it.

I have been recommended to get a Tikka by many people and am happy with that recommendation.

I have found 2 second hand Tikka Rifles which in terms of what they provide me are more or less identical.

Both have ASE moderators
Both have quality scopes (S&B/Leupold)

So the big question: Tikka M590 or T3X Laminate (12 months old approx)?

Both are the same price and from the same retailer.
The 590 also comes with bipod and neoprene bullet holder.

Last edited:

takbok

I don't think you'd go wrong with either but I'd go for the newer T3X with laminate stock. Which do you prefer? They're both solid, reliable rifles that will last a lifetime.

Just had a look on guntrader and see that the T3X is stainless also which is a big advantage for UK stalking IMO.

Last edited:

Edinburgh Rifles

One of those is either overpriced or really cheap!
a standard 590 hunter should be much cheaper than a t3x laminate
question why not if they are marked the same.

leupold are good scopes but try them first.
they don't suit everyone's eyes. Same goes for any scope to be honest

Bipod adds about £50 tops to any package and can be easily sourced elsewhere
neoprene bullet holder isn't a selling point, it's a nice to have add on
far better a decent sling and a sleeve

Rob-E

One of those is either overpriced or really cheap!
a standard 590 hunter should be much cheaper than a t3x laminate
question why not if they are marked the same.

leupold are good scopes but try them first.
they don't suit everyone's eyes. Same goes for any scope to be honest

Bipod adds about £50 tops to any package and can be easily sourced elsewhere
neoprene bullet holder isn't a selling point, it's a nice to have add on
far better a decent sling and a sleeve

Aesthetically I think I like the 590 more.
I'm not sure if this would make a massive difference in price but the 590 has a larger and I assume more expensive Mod, but probably not enough to make them equal if one like you said should be cheaper/more expensive.

Both are £950 as a retailer I'll let you tell me!

Last edited:

20-250

I presume you refer to the 590 you were referred to in your wanted thread.
I would not want that Northstar moderator. Just too heavy to stalk with. Lots of 308s around, try casting your net a bit wider. I’d prefer a stainless synthetic 595 if I could find one, but that’s just me.

barbel

if you will be walking a lot,go for the lite, I cannot fault mine its not ammo fussey either.

Edinburgh Rifles

Aesthetically I think I like the 590 more.
I'm not sure if this would make a massive difference in price but the 590 has a larger and I assume more expensive Mod, but probably not enough to make them equal if one like you said should be cheaper/more expensive.

Both are £950 as a retailer I'll let you tell me!

would need a belting scope on it to be worth £950 IMO
i like the 590 and prefer it to the t3, but the aftermarket world is set up for the later model
they hold their value more as the newer model

mods are not worth anything used.
Northstar is a big old lump

Rob-E

would need a belting scope on it to be worth £950 IMO
i like the 590 and prefer it to the t3, but the aftermarket world is set up for the later model
they hold their value more as the newer model

mods are not worth anything used.
Northstar is a big old lump
Leopold vxr 3-9x40 illuminated £200 ish second hand from what I've seen.

Stover Rover

Had both M595 deluxe blued and Stainless synthetic both .222 rem, didn't like the synthetic stock too plasticky and hollow sounding, metalwork no problems never any hint of corrosion. Had a M690 deluxe blued 25-06. All shot superbly accurately. I dpn't know why they had to change to the T3 & TX3 nothing wrong with the old designs.

ashray

good evening ,i had a tikka 590 hunter in 243 cost new was £475 in 2005 came with two magazines <plastic> and open sights.very accurate is still in use today as my brother bought it 6 years ago . i think that getting magazines has become a problem .but mine/brothers have never given any problems.i now use tikka t3 and t3x super varmints but think the 590 was a better rifle .

Muir

T3x. I have several T3's, one of which is a 308 Stainless Lite. It is a superbly accurate rifle with a good trigger and is used year round as my off-hand practice rifle. I drag mine into the mountains, get it scuffed and scratched and it still shoots as well as the day I bought it.

You can view a good rifle as having deep blue and fancy walnut -something great to show off to friends. On the other hand you can view a good rifle one you can beat the daylights out of and have it still come through for you. The T3s fall into that category. Decide which side of that fence you come down on and you'll have picked your rifle.~Muir

Rob-E

Well the T3 has now been sold however. I definitely fall into the abusing it category.

Shinigami

The tikka m590's really are fantastic rifles and in many ways better then the new tikka rifles in my opinion but for the price you have listed you should leave it there and get the t3x & as ed said the m590 would need one hell of a scope on it to make it worth that. Leopold scopes as well as S&B scopes are fantastic ive had both but ive recently upgraded to a blaser r8 in 5 calibers soon to be more, and have converted all /or atleast in the process to vortex for the fantastic value and warranty, and they have fantastic customer service too.

Muir

I am a fan of Tikka rifles and Google will feed me articles on Tikkas. A couple of days ago one came through on a T3x Lite in 22-250. The guy had no experience with Tikkas and was skeptical that the rifle would shoot well. I just scanned to the load data/results. Firing three shot groups with 16 different loads, only two averaged over MOA and those were within a tenth of an inch. Most were in the .5 to .6 MOA range average group size. Needless to say, this guy was impressed.~Muir

ChesterP

Tikka's are great rifles...very reliable and workman-like with no real vices or weaknesses unless you like fancy walnut and bluing or engraving. I have both a T3 and a newer T3x. Both shoot sub moa, both are faultless in operation. The T3x has some slight improvements over older T3s but to shoot both, there's nothing in it and the T3 is now discounted where you see them new in many cases. As others have mentioned, that 590 is massively over-priced...the seller is trying it on methinks.

Last edited:

barbel

a short time back on a Saturday went to catton shooting range, first time with a friend, been waiting for a scope to arrive( pst 5x25 gen 2 moa sfp) so fitted a diamond 2 x10 the night before and zero there, got there very nice people zeroed in on 100m and went to the fox target at 360-400 m over a valley by a wood, got no spotting scope etc,after a couple of shots so chap next to me with glass said I was just dropping short, after a adjustment hit it every time that was t3 lite s/s 308, 150 gr sp ppu ,might be boring but I cant fault it for what I want it for and cheap to run.