Which Vihtavuori N120, N130 or other brand

charlieboy-shooter

Hi Guys,

Just wondered if one of the Vihtavuori powders or any would be nearer to H322 than the N133.

As I was using H322 in my .222rem but have now used it all. I have tried N133 but am not happy with the results despite numerous tinkering certainly not as good a H322. Not in my gun anyway.

I know it's not as simple as looking a burn rate charts as they vary but it would seem generally N120 is nearer to H322. Although The energy of powders are
H322 is 3720 j/g
N120 is 3700 j/g
N130 is 3750 j/g
Bulk density of N120 is 860g/l and 130,133 is 870g/l. Not sure about H322.

Have read a lot of good results with N130 but also a lot with N133. So was hoping if I could get something as near as possible to H322 as I'm back on factory loads.

Edit 50gr Vmax

Thanks

Last edited:

WSSX

I've been loading Sierra 50gr Blitz (not Blitzkings...) on top of N130 with very good results. 40gr V-Max, too, actually. Seems a good fit for the little cartridge with these weights (in my rifle at least!).

Donkey Basher

Have been using N120 & N130 for reloading 222 for donkeys years. N130 works well but I switched to N120 as I needed to get a bit of extra MV & that was the most efficient way of doing it. Both powders work a treat for a variety of 50-53gn bullets, I did have a foray into using v-max, Nosler BT, etc. in 40/45gn but in the end decided that Toby didn't really know the difference between being hit by one of them rather than a 52gn SMK HPBT so stuck with them for target & foxing!

Laurie

Thanks for the replays guys. When I saw Laurie had liked I thought, no hoped he had given one of his excellent responses.

I had a play with 222 many, many years ago. In a BSA CF2 in good nick IIRC. ......... then I discovered 223 !!

I bought N120 for my 222 Beezer as it was reckoned the Viht powder closest to the ideal in the cartridge, but although it performed OK, it never really shone for me. N130 seemed to work better overall with 50-53gn bullets. (I still remember Alan in Hannams, asking me why I wanted N120 as they sold so little of it back then.)

If you look at the literature on using the 222 in US Bench Rest competition and varminting back in the cartridge's salad days, the favoured combination for BR was either of the 52gn Sierra MKs and H4895, a rather slower burning grade, but famous for its flexibility in applications, pressures and loads tolerance.

I have a vague recollection of excellent results from what was then sold as Accurate Arms - 2015, nowadays still sold here but as Lovex SO60. (However, there is a high probability of my memory playing tricks here and I'm confusing 222 and 223 range testing, it actually being the latter with AAC-2015 with lighter bullets.) SO60 is a remarkably flexible propellant though and like the other Lovex SO (single-based tubular) grades is much less well known than it should be and under-appreciated.

Laurie

Update to the previous post. I thought I'd have a look at what the latest (Ed. VI) Sierra manual shows as this company has been making match and varmint bullets by the million for the cartridge since its introduction in 1950, and was I believe involved closely with its development.

For its 52-55gn bullets, Sierra gives its Accuracy Load recommendation to its max charge of N130 (start 16.6gn / max 18.8gn) and its relatively low 2,850 fps from a 24-inch test barrel; Hunting Load goes to the rather faster H322 for 22.0gn Max (start at 18.8gn) for 3,000 fps. Most of the powders shown in this table are, like H322, Reach non-compliant and therefore lost to us.

charlieboy-shooter

Most of the powders shown in this table are, like H322, Reach non-compliant and therefore lost to us.
Yes, I had considered H4198 or IMR4198 but same as H322.

SO60 is a remarkably flexible propellant though and like the other Lovex SO (single-based tubular) grades is much less well known than it should be and under-appreciated.
I haven’t seen or ever looked at the Lovex powders. But will have a little research.
However ultimately, I may have to go with what’s available. Although I’d hope both Viht powders would be obtainable. I noticed one of the RFD’s had N120 in stock and he said just got that in. Dated 2015 so been sitting somewhere for last 6 yrs.

Thank you for your reply.

Last edited: