Whistles from antlers.

basil

Distinguished Member
I`ve been asked if it`s possible to make a whistle from a Roe Deer antler. Personally, i haven`t a clue but i said i would ask the Directory forum if anyone knew of any websites that would explain how to.
Thanks, basil.

Basil,

Some years ago I had a whistle that was made from a Roe deers antler. I could not get used to it. I think its lying around somewhere. The OH bought it from one of the country fairs.

I have a Roe buck call made from a section of Roe antler...If I get a chance I'll post a picture as a whistle would not be that much different..

steyr.308 said:
Basil,

Some years ago I had a whistle that was made from a Roe deers antler. I could not get used to it. I think its lying around somewhere. The OH bought it from one of the country fairs.

Thanks mate, that`s a start. At least we know now Roe antlers can be used. I was beginning to think whistles were only made from Red Deer antlers.
basil.

Long long Time ago We used to make whistles out of wood :cry: !as kids, 8) drill hole in wood/ antler cut a groove ! blow to required tone ! Take it ,it is for the dog , :lol: not deer! :eek:If the pied piper of Hameln can do it ! why not give it a try :)
Trapper

If you need a whistle(?????) then why not buy one for a quid out of your local sports shop.

Why mess around trying to carve one from an antler. Anyway the best way to make a whistle in the wild is from a willow branch, but you will of course need bushcraft skills for that.

Poddle, I am surprised at you. We could have that attiude about a lot that we do or make. Why craft your own anything? Just buy it!

I used to have a red deer antler whistle and it was great. Incredibly loud too when you wanted it to be!! (Spaniel dissapearing over horizon!!!) Unfortunately I lost it. (Whistle not spaniel! :lol: )

It's a lot of tricky work from an antler Andy, antler is hard to work with.

Willow is easier of course, but not as loud. Antler would be stronger

I'm sure an antler whistle maybe be very novel to some, so I see your point as to why some one might want to make one Andy.

Personally I would buy one, however I never use one now, as I don't get that remote, and I don't work dogs any more.not that you would use the same whistle anyway
But like I said I do see the point from an artistic angle, it just depends on if one has the skill and know how.

poddle said:
If you need a whistle(?????) then why not buy one for a quid out of your local sports shop.

Why mess around trying to carve one from an antler. Anyway the best way to make a whistle in the wild is from a willow branch, but you will of course need bushcraft skills for that.

The lady who asked me keeps birds of prey and she does a few displays.
I think she just wants to have a go at making one, just to say she made one. (or failed) She had a big heart attack a while ago so she`s got some time on her hands. I`ll post her a few antlers and see how she gets on. Thanks for the replies. basil.

Back