Who is the next British "Churchill"?

Cootmeurer

Honest question from outside the UK. In the US there have been some very good discussion lately on who our next "up and coming" people are. By this I do not mean fame, but those that might have the potential to really rise to the occasion during a world crisis. I am fairly conversant on the American names, but in all honesty don't track or follow your politics enough to recognize your cream from your curds (or a word that sounds like curds).

So - who is your next Churchill, or Thatcher (not meant to offend, but at least in the US she was regarded as a true world leader)? Who has that principled position that makes them not an ordinary vote grubbing politician?

Pedro

To be honest, the current crop of politicians we have here is abysmal. They're more worried about fiddling their expenses to pay for their duck houses in the pond at home, fiddling their mortgage payments, promising all sorts to get elected then doing what they like, tearing apart institutions such as the NHS, Police, Fire Service and so on to save money. They are reducing the salaries of public sector workers and trashing their pensions but getting 11% rises themselves. I should say that politicians here have their lowest standing since King John signed the Magna Carta.

I wouldn't think at present we have anyone of the likes of Churchill. Margaret Thatcher was a very divisive figure here, but even so, I don't think there's any one of her ability. I could only hope that cometh the moment, cometh the man (or woman). But I won't hold my breath.

finnbear270

Our next Churchill is definately not in the wings yet!,He would be up and coming and in view I would expect. I stand waiting to be corrected, on your offering of Mrs Thatcher, she was devisive (and still is), but she did stand against an aggressive invasion, in a very Churchill like fashion. Now where did I put Grandpa's tin hat?

paul o'

Our next Churchill is definately not in the wings yet!,He would be up and coming and in view I would expect. I stand waiting to be corrected, on your offering of Mrs Thatcher, she was devisive (and still is), but she did stand against an aggressive invasion, in a very Churchill like fashion. Now where did I put Grandpa's tin hat?

No tin hate needed mty she was the right man for the job but not all was as good as i could have been CSA ,POLL TAX ect love her or hate her she was there when we needed a back bone . not like now bunch of C**k suckers who will sell us way down the track for a few $$$$$$

Cadex

Nicola Sturgeon is one to watch, she's small in stature but large in likeability.
In my opinion she's one of the first politicians in many years who is actually connecting with the electorate in Scotland.

I'm not saying I agree with all her policies, but I do admire her plucky spirit.

So far she certainly appears to have some spunk about her, and is currently tearing labour a new arse north of the border, something which until recently was unthinkable here.

Pointer

Nicola Sturgeon is one to watch, she's small in stature but large in likeability.
In my opinion she's one of the first politicians in many years who is actually connecting with the electorate in Scotland.

I'm not saying I agree with all her policies, but I do admire her plucky spirit.

So far she certainly appears to have some spunk about her, and is currently tearing labour a new arse north of the border, something which until recently was unthinkable here.

God forbid - She comes over as an aggressive, negative woman that wants to drive a wedge through this Great Britain of ours. How could she ever be compared to Churchill?????!!!!!

When she is on the radio or TV I turn it off. At least Salmond smiled from time to time and had a bit of character about him, but Sturgeon is far too serious...

Cadex

God forbid - She comes over as an aggressive, negative woman that wants to drive a wedge through this Great Britain of ours. How could she ever be compared to Churchill?????!!!!!

When she is on the radio or TV I turn it off. At least Salmond smiled from time to time and had a bit of character about him, but Sturgeon is far too serious...
I think she's quite sexy :lol:

Druid

WHAT! Sturgeon and Churchill being compared??? I was not aware of Churchill trying to break the union apart for personal gain/power.

private fraser

If Salmond gets into Westminster (God forbid) it'll be the Fatman & Robin act all over again.
I watched her on TV when she gave a speech to business leaders in Scotland about a month ago.
She said that there would be many in the audience who voted No, "and I respect that". Only when she said those last 4 words she broke eye contact and looks down at her notes while she was saying them.
I could see the snub and I bet they could too.
Her lot are good at spending and taking money but as for making it....
She's the one to watch but she has a back seat driver in Wee Eck,especially if he gets back into "the best club in London".

Last edited: