Wild Africa safari operator: reintroduction as a trade member

CarlW

All,

I thought I would take a few moments to reintroduce myself as I have just signed up as a trade member. I don't actually intend to start selling you anything, but as a few people have approached me about hunting safaris, it felt only fair to get The Stalking Directory in on the action.

My name is Carl Williams and I divide my time between Herefordshire, UK and Manica, Mozambique. I co-own and operate a wild, one-million-acre conservation and hunting concession in the Macossa district of Manica.

In our area, we have four of the big five plus most of the usual soft-skinned game. The place is wild. No fences; no humans; nothing except untouched wilderness. My primary objective in life is to protect African wildlife. We employ a large local workforce of gamescouts who are in daily pursuit of both bushmeat and ivory poachers. We also invest heavily in building dams to fragment water-sources during the dry season (and thus game) in order to frustrate poachers. Similar levels of investment in local communities give them a stake in looking after an asset which, after all, belongs to the people of Mozambique.

We offer a small number of hunts for both dangerous and soft-skinned game, but conservation (and the continued protection and growth of game populations) is our goal. We are expensive compared to the fenced hunting countries of South Africa and Namibia. I make no apologies for that: we are in a different business altogether. We are for wild hunters who aren't afraid of the dark.

Back in the UK, stalking red deer in the Highlands of Scotland is my passion. I love that country more than any other place on earth, and there is no beast more majestic than a Scottish hill stag.

My career in fieldsports started as a child when a local keeper apprehended me, spade in hand, digging out my ferrets from a particularly torturous warren on his master's estate. Rather than beat me (as was his reputation), he taught me to shoot. I still think of him today when we hire former poachers into our team of game scouts.

Calibre-wise, I use .500 NE, .375 H&H, .300 Win Mag, .308 Win, and .22 LR.

Best wishes,

Carl

nun_hunter

"I make no apologies for that: we are in a different business altogether. We are for wild hunters who aren't afraid of the dark"

Just given me goosebumps thinking about how amazing that would be and also how long it'd take me to save up!

riddick

"aren't afraid of the dark" I like that in a person,,, :thumb: best intro yet.
I had an idea you were a pretty much grounded individual by reading your previous posts [I'm relatively new here] keep up the good work. :tiphat:

Last edited:

VSS

Just out of interest, do you also offer non-hunting safaris as part of the your portfolio? eg, wildlife watching, photography, etc?

CarlW

Just out of interest, do you also offer non-hunting safaris as part of the your portfolio? eg, wildlife watching, photography, etc?
We toy with it but it isn't our core business and we are not good at it. It takes a lot of birdwatchers to match one lion-hunter in terms of revenue. And they whine about the spiders a lot...

That said, we are exploring bushcraft courses with another member from this site. Will let you know how it goes.

VSS

We toy with it but it isn't our core business and we are not good at it. It takes a lot of birdwatchers to match one lion-hunter in terms of revenue. And they whine about the spiders a lot...

That said, we are exploring bushcraft courses with another member from this site. Will let you know how it goes.
I just wanted to make sure that there'll be plenty of other things for me to do once I've downed my cuppa and my warthog :thumb:

Actually, real reason I was asking is because I've always wondered, when I see adverts for African animal watching safaris in wildlife magazines, how many of those same companies might also offer a very different kind of safari to a different audience, and vise versa.

Alantoo

What is your calibre of choice for poachers ?
I met an African Poacher hunter at the Monmouth range a year or two ago...he said they had a lot of success with Airsoft guns shooting tear gas balls...poachers lying hidden in the grass gave themselves away when an overhead branch was hit.

Was that you by any chance Carl?

Alan

CarlW

I just wanted to make sure that there'll be plenty of other things for me to do once I've downed my cuppa and my warthog :thumb:

Actually, real reason I was asking is because I've always wondered, when I see adverts for African animal watching safaris in wildlife magazines, how many of those same companies might also offer a very different kind of safari to a different audience, and vise versa.
We'll keep you busy, VSS! And the birdlife is stunning.

The photographic safari areas tend to be in more accessible, managed locations. It is really only hunters who will head out into proper wilderness.

lw woodlands

Sounds like you have a fantastic place, Ah now you've got me longing to revisit Mozambique! Backpacked from SA via zim then on to Tanzania on local transport a few years ago, we went from Harare to the coast at Beira I think so must of passed through Manica. It was early in the year and very green and hilly around the Zim border if i remember correctly.
I will go back one day.

srvet

Great introduction and I am impressed by the diversity of your life. Is there any chance you could post some photos of the landscape at some time to get a feel for the place. Sounds fantastic!!