wild boar load

Olaf

Hi, I'm just about to start working up a new load for the .30-06. Its to be used on Wild Boar in Germany and I've got a box of Sierra 165 gr soft points. Has anyone tried these out on Boar to any success or are they too lite in construction to gain the penetration needed ?

Kind regards, Olaf

finnbear270

I have just learned that I will have to knock up some lead free rounds for the .270, for a Boar trip in November, have you checked out if you are visiting a lead free shoot?

dodgyrog

Having seen a boar hit 3 times with a .270 and keep running I would seriously suggest a heavier calibre.

rick6point5

Only 1 name in driven boar as far as i am concerned Prince Franz Albrecht III 'WILD BOAR FEVER 4 Vid on youtube

Sauer 270 in safe hands....doesn't get much better, most are dead before hitting the ground..

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKh_13zOGFc

Jagare

I handled an exact copy of Franz Albrechts rifle in .270 yesterday. Sauer have made a limited numbers for sale. Whilst there is no dought the young man is a great shot i wonder how many look and learn from that Video?

rick6point5

I have no doubt he is as good as he is because has plenty of practice, he is also a Prince with spare time and lots of invitations,
but it was more to point out to the doubting masses that a 270 is more than capable in the right hands with a good load of taking 'Proper Wild Boar'.

how much were they charging for the replica? does it inc the hand shaped stock extended mag etc?

atb

Jagare

I have no doubt he is as good as he is because has plenty of practice, he is also a Prince with spare time and lots of invitations,
but it was more to point out to the doubting masses that a 270 is more than capable in the right hands with a good load of taking 'Proper Wild Boar'.

how much were they charging for the replica? does it inc the hand shaped stock extended mag etc?

atb

A more or less exact copy of FA's rifle. About £2900 was the cost. Its a interesting video and worth looking past his shooting skills. A lot to be learnt from that video. He drops them by where he hits them. Really do's not matter if they run on and drop dead in 100mtrs or less.

Last edited:

rick6point5

Jagare

I agree he has good form entirely, holds well in the shoulder noticeable with his numerous shots 1 after another, good target acquisition, excellent first shot placement, super follow up, it is almost as if he is watching with the left eye for the beast to fall prior to taking another even though the second or third animal has been chosen in advance and he can adjust instantly, not forgetting he is standing. For such a young man i must say it is impressive, when i see people shoot like that it is quite inspirational.

Saying all that he does have custom made hand finished stock with correct length and cast, lengthened fore end custom bolt, etc, he states this is by far his best fitting and favorite rifle to shoot and chooses it over all others, i imagine he has a selection of very nice pieces.

Just out of curiosity do you know any of the guys at Carlmarks AB now Tama Sweden used to make rope now do crop protection.

​atb

30-06

Hi Olaf,

The 165 are good enough if you are stalking the boar. If it is driven then I would suggest you use 180 grains. I have used the sierra bullets in a 7x57 on driven wild boar and they do not stop in there tracks unlike the 180, but then I have seen animals get away with much bigger calibers.

​Cheers

branko

Hi, I'm just about to start working up a new load for the .30-06. Its to be used on Wild Boar in Germany and I've got a box of Sierra 165 gr soft points. Has anyone tried these out on Boar to any success or are they too lite in construction to gain the penetration needed ?

Kind regards, Olaf

Stick with 30-06 see if your rifle likes the 180 gr. I use 3006 with 180 gr nosler partitions on a browning lever action with eotec holographic site for driven

Olaf

Hi, I was just talking to the friend who owns the Boar forrest that I'll be shooting in and he said that the .30-06 with 150 gr upwards will be more than adequate. He shoots with a 9.3x62 and said that if you shoot a bore badly then they will run regardless of the size or weight of bullet. I asked him why he uses a 9.3x62 then, and he said that its what he was given but he used to use a 8x57 IS without any issues.
I think I'll load up the 165 gr bullets and try them out on a few Deer later this week, see what they do to them. Unless I get strange results on the Deer then I'll go with those, besides, my 150 gr Hornaday Interlock load drills holes right through Fallow Deer and completely pollaxes them, with really good hydrostatic and hydraulic shock, but minimal meat damage.
I should think these 165 gr Sierra Gamekings will just travel through and exit with a smaller exit wound than the Hornadays, owing to them holding their shape a tiny bit longer. I've looked them up on the Sierra web page and they do recommend them for my intended use.
Besides, I don't think I have any choice but to use them, I've rung about 4 gun shops within a 40 mile radius from Cambridge and nobody has anything in stock that's any good or even feasible. I was nearly tempted to buy 100 180 gr Nosler Silver Ballistic tip bullets, because there were a few people holding loads of those, but gave up on them owing to the really poor reviews that they got by hunters on various forum articles I found.
I've read up on the 165 gr soft point boat tail Sierra Gamekings that I've got and everyone seems to love them.
I must say, I'd rather use the 180gr version of what I have, but I can't get my hands on any of those by the looks of it now owing to these material shortages that gun shops are having . Also, I only paid £9 for the box of 100 Gamekings as a dealer was trying to get rid of them last year ;)
In a way, I'm quite pleased that I won't be able to have the option of buying these 'premium' bullets, I think I'd find it a bit too scary paying out £97 for 100 Nosler bullets !

Kind regards, Olaf

branko

http://www.cliffsgunsmithing.com/index.html

Olaf
Nosler partitions are worth every penny they may be more expensive than game kings but they will always be stronger tougher than gamekings with controlled expansion(will expand at 2000 fps and up) great weight retention hence better penetration. Driven boar hunts cost money why take the risk.
I bought some recently in 7mm rem mag 160 gr from cliffs in utah he will ship to uk see link (still cheaper than uk retailers)

Roedinator

Distinguished Member
Only 1 name in driven boar as far as i am concerned Prince Franz Albrecht III 'WILD BOAR FEVER 4 Vid on youtube

Sauer 270 in safe hands....doesn't get much better, most are dead before hitting the ground..

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKh_13zOGFc

I must agree with you the finest bit of shooting I have ever seen
watched the DVD a couple of years ago
​regards pete

Olaf

http://www.cliffsgunsmithing.com/index.html

Olaf
Nosler partitions are worth every penny they may be more expensive than game kings but they will always be stronger tougher than gamekings with controlled expansion(will expand at 2000 fps and up) great weight retention hence better penetration. Driven boar hunts cost money why take the risk.
I bought some recently in 7mm rem mag 160 gr from cliffs in utah he will ship to uk see link (still cheaper than uk retailers)

Many thanks for the link and for taking the time to write too. I tested the cheap ones out this evening on a Fallow Buck and they did what id hoped for; superb hydrostatic and hydraulic shock to all of the pluck area with tiny entrance and exit wounds, no meat loss and a totally dead deer within 2 seconds of the shot. Ive now spoken to a coupe of German friends and they rate the Sierra Gamekings very highly, I respect their judgements as they shoot an awful lot of Boar. I do however thoroughly respect your choice of bullet, there is no doubt in my mind that they are very good value for money but I believe that they are probably more of a must when shooting at 150kg + animals. The boar on my friends Revier weigh only 15 to 100kg, with a 100kg beast being considered quite exceptionally large.
I will see what happens with these loads when I give them as a present to some Boar, in a few weeks time, and let you know how they performed.

kindest regards, Olaf