Wild boar what bullet wt

I have to shoot pigs out of necessity, not for fun. Usually I have a 270 in the ute or on the bike & 150gn pills are good. Sometimes I'm a bit bored & might take a 375 wby with those ballistic tips norma once made for this cal, it adds a new definition to red mist. A lot of times I may only have a 22 250 at hand but I have loaded & always have a few of those all copper 55gn pills from Hornady with the gun. I find them surprisingly good even on 100kg animals, much better than the 63 gn projectiles I used for this previously, better than regular 80gn in 243. If the truth be told I think 150 gn in the 30 30 is about the best for pigs, it seems to roll them or knock them down much faster than anything else, which is a boon on mobs of them.

I think Defra minimum recommended calibre is .270 150g bullet weight.
That's what is written in the H.O. firearms guidance to police document also. I think the origins of that piece of wisdom were originally from legislation in another European country, as they're not know for doing their own research when you can crib it from elsewhere.

Ask for Target and ALOQ. If you've got permission to shoot / outtings booked they can't have any issues.

Get some bookings for Boar and apply for Boar and AOLO. They are unlikely to query your use of the 243 anyway. If you mention target shooting you will have to join a club, and that might mean a probation period.
Why would you need to be in a club to target shoot?
Ken.

I'm a bit late to the party on this one but, for what it's worth, my opinion as somebody who has shot a lot of UK boar is that 75gr V-Max and .243 would be an awful combination for shooting wild boar with and I would have hoped that the guide who has accepted your booking would have told you that! 75gr V-Max will be a recipe for shallow wounding and lost pigs.

I no longer allow anybody to use a .243 on boar, full stop, period. There has been enough debate on here and elsewhere about its suitability for larger deer, let alone wild boar. Let's not re-open that can of worms but take it from me, in the early days when I first started shooting boar and taking mates out, I was relaxed about what guys used and soon learned that .243 is simply not man enough to punch through thick mud caked hair, tough thick hide, shoulder plates, dense bones and then do enough damage to the vitals on anything but the smallest pig. There are guys round here who head shoot them with .243 but I doubt they brag so loudly about their cock ups as they do about their successes!

The Home Office guidance isn't too far wrong at 150gr and .270 although I would be just as happy with 7mm and 140gr. Bullet construction is very important as you are looking for a reasonably tough hunting grade bullet that will punch through a lot of tough material. If the boar of a life time turns up you want to be confident that you have the tools for the job.

The ubiquitous .308 and .30-06 really do take some beating and when matched with 150gr or heavier bullets like Accubonds, Partitions, Pro-Hunters (180gr ideally), Swift Sirocco or equivalent then you have something that will do the business every time so long as you do your bit.

I think you have missed understood me as I said I am currently using a. 243 with 75 grain vmax and asked if it was suitable that is why I am putting a very in for a. 308

I think your original question was whether a .243 with 75gr V-Max propelled by Varget was a suitable combination for wild boar and the abbreviated answer to that question is no. I realise the thread then took you to applying for a .308 and think that is a very good idea and well suited to the application.

Thank you as only been shooting deer and foxing new territory boar shooting all help is appreciated

If you are going to use the rifle for Boar I would seriously have a look at the 30-06. Boar are tough animals and a good adult male is well over 100kg on the hook so 200kg live weight. And the skin is tough. The heart and lungs are also further forward than deer so really need a tough heavy for calibre bullet that will go through the shoulder blade. Have a read of this article

Boar shoulder shields - And that's not a very big boar.

308 is used a lot in Germany for boar - its OK since most boar shot are yearlings which are 40 to 50kg. But the 30-06 can shoot a tough 180gn or 200gn bullet at sufficient velocity to punch right through big boar. The 308 has not got the case capacity to do so.

The last one I shot was with a 7x65r with a 173gn H-Mantle bullet at about 60 yards from a highseat at 3am. It was very much a downward shot with it quartering away. Bullet went in just behind the top of the shoulder, obliterated the heart and lungs and was under the skin of the front of the sternum. It made 60 yards into the woods. This one was about 80kg on the hook hung up in the larder. I have seen them as big as 150kg and they are big and also very wide across. Thats why going for a dedicated boar gun the 9.3x62 is even better. Friends in Germany use the 9.3's on everything from racoons upwards. You never know when a big keiler is going to appear.

Attachments

• IMG_3325.JPG
    IMG_3325.JPG
    259.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3324.JPG
    IMG_3324.JPG
    473.8 KB · Views: 30
I have thought about a 30 06 but would it be easier to start with a. 308 to get a very and then go up

Well my very is going to be posted Tuesday and I would like to thank all of you help which is really appreciated

I agree with Penyard .308 with a 165-180 grn bullet will put down any boar. If I'm shooting from a tower i either shoot them behind the ear or an easier shot is to aim a bit over half way up their body in line with the middle of the front leg. I've never had one run of with that shot. Have a look at the position of the spine on a boar and you will see how that shot works so well.
For driven boar i use the same 165grn .308 bullet.

Well my very is posted thanks for all your help but can't quite understand when someone says to pm them for any help and advice but ignores my pm don't suppose they mean what they say

I had issues with feo saying 243 was adequate for fallow and 270 not needed. After speaking to basc I was advised to include this. I also have boar on my land but rather than go down the route of proving it and ****ing of the land owner he said apply for the deer and legal quarry and that covers boar anyway.

13.31 Suitable calibres for shooting deer range from the .243 to .45-70. The .243 is legal for all species of deer found in the UK, however, for the larger species (Red, Sika & Fallow) .270 and larger calibres are generally more suitable. For shooting Muntjac & Chinese Water Deer in England and Wales, a rifle with a calibre of not less than .220 inches and a muzzle energy of not less than 1,000 foot pounds using a soft or hollow nosed bullet of not less than 50 grains can be used. Practically the .222 Remington is the smallest of the .22 centre fire cartridges which can legally be used for this purpose. See paragraph 13.34 for information about legislative requirements for the shooting of deer in Scotland.

He said this was the good reason and they will have a job arguing it. Fingers crossed anyway!

Last edited:
Best bullet heads and powder combinations for a. 308 for wild boar, as had my very for a. 308

Back