William Dunlop RIP

caorach

It is very sad, but it is also a risk that the actual racers seem to take in their stride. Unlike most games where, if you lose, you get to be a TV pundit and sit around talking about it with road racing if you lose against the road you are dead. It is almost the cost of doing business. I should say that I've worked with a lot of them and the bike racers are the nicest people, unlike the majority of so called "sportsmen," and they are also completely their own man - money or gain seems to mean nothing to them and so you can't buy them, they simply do what they want on the basis (I guess) that tomorrow they might be dead. A great way to live in one sense, but as Michael has found out expensive in the longer term and hard on the families. The film "Road" is worth a watch if you haven't already seen it, it may be available elsewhere but this is just the link I found:

Road [DVD] [2014]: Amazon.co.uk: Liam Neeson, Joey Dunlop, William Dunlop, Michael Dunlop, Robert Dunlop: DVD Blu-ray

steve54

It is very sad, but it is also a risk that the actual racers seem to take in their stride. Unlike most games where, if you lose, you get to be a TV pundit and sit around talking about it with road racing if you lose against the road you are dead. It is almost the cost of doing business. I should say that I've worked with a lot of them and the bike racers are the nicest people, unlike the majority of so called "sportsmen," and they are also completely their own man - money or gain seems to mean nothing to them and so you can't buy them, they simply do what they want on the basis (I guess) that tomorrow they might be dead. A great way to live in one sense, but as Michael has found out expensive in the longer term and hard on the families. The film "Road" is worth a watch if you haven't already seen it, it may be available elsewhere but this is just the link I found:

Road [DVD] [2014]: Amazon.co.uk: Liam Neeson, Joey Dunlop, William Dunlop, Michael Dunlop, Robert Dunlop: DVD Blu-ray[/QUO

Well said caorach. Totally agree.

sikadog

As an ex bike racer myself I know the risks and pitfalls and at no time when you are racing do you think of them, you just try to be the best you can and William was one of the best.
RIP
We will remember you until the end of our days.

Bavarianbrit

RIP. Had a workmate die at Spa Belgium while practising in 1984 seemed to love the thrill, left a young wife and child behind though.

Rasputin

Terrible news I saw yesterday. Also saw Shane Byrne had a terrible accident and broke just about every bone in his body.

NigelM

It happens in all extreme sports unfortunately, but it's that thrill of the adrenaline rush that drives these fabulous people and life would be very much the poorer without them.

I went to a memorial yesterday for a good friend who went overboard on an ocean race and was never recovered. He knew the risks when he set off but sailing was his passion and his profession, he was living his dream. As we went around the world together his stories and enthusiasm for what he did was infectious.

The memorial was a celebration of his adventures rather than a sad affair, which is exactly how he would have wanted it.

kes

My thoughts are with his close family, so very sad for them. A brilliant rider, from a family of brilliant riders.