• Personal items can be advertised for free. Click here to advertise business/trade items or services.
    • Please fill in an approximate Location in your profile so buyers know where the item is located.
    • You need 30 posts and registered for 30 days before you can create ads in classifieds.
    • Non Trade Members specify a price. No auction style adverts, adverts 'for a friend' or unhelpful heckling posts please.
    • See how to change the advert prefix to Sold:.
    • Click here to read the full Rules.

Wanted: Winch for Quad

Yorric

Hi, I'm in the market for a winch and mounting kit to fit on my Honda Foreman 450 quad. What's out there? What capacity should I get etc?

Ian

reloader54

ebay, under £100 loads of 'em, even remote control.
have one on a honda trx 300 and it will winch the entire machine up a tree if you held the button long enough.

arron

Get a good one , and get it professional fit , the one time your gonna need it , you want it to work as it should , I have a superwhinch on mine only needed it once in 6yrs , and was relieved when it had done its job !!

wytonpjs

It’s not difficult to self-install provided you have some mechanical nouse and understanding of auto-electrics. My strongest word of advice is to buy a quality ATV-specific mounting plate that is designed for your quad as that makes the installation much more straightforward and strong. There are plenty of good and cheap Chinese winches out there on eBay (don’t go too cheap), 4000 is good but 2000 is ok if you have a snatch block. Incorporate some isolation device (either in-line Anderson connectors or a proper kill switch isolator), fit a direct operation switch and don’t just rely on remote controls, use dyenema and not wire (greater length and no tangle/ laceration issues), test frequently (to know that it will still work when you need it). Don’t forget that you will need something to attach the winch to so if you are on open heath you may need some form of ground anchor. A strop or self-locking chain and a snatch block are very useful to increase power and direction of pull. Mine has saved my bacon on a number of occasions and I’ve now fitted one to my Freelander. There’s some pictures up on another post - I try to provide a link.

Yorric

Specifics on model / capacity would be helpful. Also who makes / sells mounting kits? (other than the 'bay)?
Fitting technicality won't be a problem, It aint rocket science, plus I'm an engineer. :lol:
Ian
p.s. I presume that the 4000 & 2000 are Lb force pull values & not Kg wytonpjs?

wytonpjs

It’s not difficult to self-install provided you have some mechanical nouse and understanding of auto-electrics. My strongest word of advice is to buy a quality ATV-specific mounting plate that is designed for your quad as that makes the installation much more straightforward and strong. There are plenty of good and cheap Chinese winches out there on eBay (don’t go too cheap), 4000 is good but 2000 is ok if you have a snatch block. Incorporate some isolation device (either in-line Anderson connectors or a proper kill switch isolator), fit a direct operation switch and don’t just rely on remote controls, use dyenema and not wire (greater length and no tangle/ laceration issues), test frequently (to know that it will still work when you need it). Don’t forget that you will need something to attach the winch to so if you are on open heath you may need some form of ground anchor. A strop or self-locking chain and a snatch block are very useful to increase power and direction of pull. Mine has saved my bacon on a number of occasions and I’ve now fitted one to my Freelander. There’s some pictures up on another post - I try to provide a link.
Link

wytonpjs

Specifics on model / capacity would be helpful. Also who makes / sells mounting kits? (other than the 'bay?
Fitting technicality won't be a problem, It aint rocket science, plus I'm an engineer. :lol:
Ian
Mine’s a TRX420 and what works for me may not on yours.

reloader54

Specifics on model / capacity would be helpful. Also who makes / sells mounting kits? (other than the 'bay)?
Ian
p.s. I presume that the 4000 & 2000 are Lb force pull values & not Kg wytonpjs?
quad bikes wales will have all you need. a little more spendy that ebay, often for exactly the same stuff, from the same origin.

North Stalker

Go into MacGregors Forest and Groundcare, now moved to the main site, Henderson Rd (not across from the Fire Station), ask them. They may have better prices than others, plus, you’ll be talking face to face and not via emails or phone.
Or take a spin up to Tain and ask Robertson’s then go burn some cash at MacLeod’s.