Winchester Model 70

Malxwal

Is there much demand for the Winchester Model 70 as donor actions ? They're not a rifle I know much about ( like most things,I know not much about). What is the general concensus of opinion on them ?

US yes UK no. They don't fit the blaser/tactical trend. Amazed yours hasn't sold. I wanted it for my son but he decided on an 06

sharkey

Yes, but only in CRF/classic/pre 64 actions, not push feed. They would be my first choice for a medium bore using the long action. I have a 375wby on a pre 64 long action although its not a true magnum action.

johngryphon

Malxwal a Mod 70`s in 30-06,a 25-06 and a 7mm mag reside here (recently sold my 338wm to a sambar hunter) They all do the job on deer extremely well. They DONT have the snob value of other supposed "better" brands but for a bloke that actually gets off his arse and goes hunting that knows a bit about deer hunting they don`t call them the rifleman's rifle for nothing.
I have said it many times,my just about 40 year old Mod 70 in 7mm is a daily carry and while supposedly better brand names live here too its the old "winny" that keeps on keeping on.
There is so much rifle snobbery anywhere around the world that it borders on the ridiculous, but anecdotal evidence suggests that many that have the supposed best fail the test ha ha!

This may help you in your search for a Mod 70,old Chuck is generally quotable.

Bolt Actions: Controlled Feed or Push Feed?

Reactions: TH4

alberta boy

I've always liked M-70's . I've owned pre 64 and post 64 push feeds for quite a few years . I'll risk getting flamed by saying that there's nothing wrong with the push feeds . I've had a fair number of them , including push feed Feather Weights in 30/06 and 7X57 . Nothing fancy , but they're accurate , reliable and have great triggers ( All older M-70's ) . I don't know how it is in the UK , but over here they have a very good reputation .
To give you a better idea , Google D'Arcy Echols . He's a US gunsmith , and former Marine , who specializes in building very serious working rifles on M-70's . They aren't pretty , but are brutally effective rifles .

AB

Reactions: ejg

PKL

Is there much demand for the Winchester Model 70 as donor actions ? They're not a rifle I know much about ( like most things,I know not much about). What is the general concensus of opinion on them ?
Only pre 64’s type 1 and 2 imho

I don’t care for the newer ones or push feed actions of any sort

PKL

Lol!!!

I wouldn’t ‘buy’ one ;)

Have you ever tried slow feeding one whilst laying upside down, and a big angry momma piggie is about to make you her punching bag...I haven’t either, but prefer to know the rounds will go where they are supposed to!

johngryphon

I have shot hundreds of wild pigs with my 7 mill old boy.
Quoting the upside down bit is a bit trite.

Anyway us poor souls with no money do their best with what they have in their hands at the time and if its a push feed so be it.
I do have a controlled feed supergrade mod 70 in .300 H+H but thats probably not much chop either hardy ha ha.

I have 4 other `98 controlled feed rifles,big deal...snobbery!..so what!

Donnachaidh

I bought a new Model 70 Extreme Weather last year. I like it a lot. They are now CRF again, so smooth and reliable feeding. Not really relevant to this thread, but the MOA trigger is very crisp and synthetic stock is also good.

alberta boy

I bought a new Model 70 Extreme Weather last year. I like it a lot. They are now CRF again, so smooth and reliable feeding. Not really relevant to this thread, but the MOA trigger is very crisp and synthetic stock is also good.
I'd say it's relevant , and yours is a very nice rifle .

AB

Harry mac

Lol!!!

I wouldn’t ‘buy’ one ;)

Have you ever tried slow feeding one whilst laying upside down, and a big angry momma piggie is about to make you her punching bag...I haven’t either, but prefer to know the rounds will go where they are supposed to!
If I was upside down, facing an angry pig, two things would be true. 1) I'd have fallen out of my high seat, and 2) I'd not be reloading slowly.