wind meters

stephentri

hi iam thinking of getting a wind meter to help with long range shooting, i was looking at the sky-watch xplorer 3 would this be a good bet or would a kestrel be a better one to get.
thanks

Dalua

They only give you the wind where you are though!
I've heard some experienced long-range target shooters suggest that this is where the wind matters most. I wonder whether they are right, though? It sounds rather counterintuitive to me!

Tackleberry270

I've heard some experienced long-range target shooters suggest that this is where the wind matters most. I wonder whether they are right, though? It sounds rather counterintuitive to me!
I'd have to say, I'm not speaking from experience of extreme long range. I've been on ranges where a perceived light breeze has given bullet drift of 8 inches or more at 200 meters. Wind was gusting across the range further down! At extreme long range your trajectory might mean the bullet travels up through much stronger wind before dropping into the target!

swarovski

Wind metres are only a guide, its not going to be exact, there is alot of variables long range shooting

swarovski

Thats ridiculous money Pete, could buy a half decent car for that, ive got all the info I need on a accuweather phone app, just need a wind reader then