Wonder how the gameshooting will be after cornovirus?

Watson1

How do people think the game shooting industry will recover after this virus has ****ed off. There a lot of shoots going under and folding due to this virus. I know there alot of people loosing jobs all over the country it a very sad time for people lives and business.

Pedro

Grouse shooting I suspect is too early to be able to do it. Might even still be in lockdown mode at the start of t he season. As for pheasants, watch this space really, that's all up in the air (no pun intended-ish).

Lateral

I would have thought the main concern is the coming season, and not knowing if the virus will still be about ?

I know very little about when birds are bred, laid down, etc', but if they are already down, surely they can be fed, and watered ?

McKenzie

I'm hoping we're going to be ok as the farmer is in the shoot & does quite a lot of the work anyway. There are a few other guns within half a mile to help with it all.

Tazz

Am in two syndicates one is ploughing on and about to place the order and down payment on poults. The other I am not as sure, both are pheasant/partridge syndicates so more chance I think, Grouse guys I think time is against them. Unless of course you listen and believe Trump, back to work by Easter, happy days!!!

Watson1

I think pheasants and partridge will be very hit and miss, as know one is paying deposits and guns are cancelling a lot have already laid keepers off left right and centre and from what I'm hearing it much the same across the board.

Freeforester

Gonna need a fleet of beaters wagons if the 2m separation guidance is still in place, that or all beaters have had it and are over it. Can't see driven going on myself, but hope to be wrong in this...

Malxwal

One of the big breeders is pushing ahead as normal we've been informed; currently the shoot I do most of my beating etc on is planning on going ahead, however deposits on shoot days wont be taken til June.

Rowey

Our supplier has had a lot or orders cancelled. Puts them in a difficult position regarding setting eggs and rearing. So orders are now payment in full. If you cancel there's no refund. That sounds hard but I used to rear my own from day olds so I know the work, effort and costs that go into it

Scapegoat

All a bit up in the air on my shoot. The farmer has just tested positive, and the game dealer we order from gets the birds from France. Of the guns I'd say a good 40% would fall into the higher risk category. Personally I'm kinda expecting to write the whole thing off. I'd be amazed if we could get together to do enough work days. Happy days....

Heym SR20

I think a lot of the game shooting clients are being very affected at the moment. A lot of the city is effectively shot down and the money making engines are pretty much in neutral if not switched off. Spare cash, profits and bonuses will be non existent so several days game shooting may well be a stretch too far. Imagine the 2008 crash but supercharged.

Redneck

Our pheasant syndicate will not be shooting this season. Supplier of birds is not operating this year. I believe he is one of many in the same situation. Also heard that a lot of the big commercial shoots are cancelling this year.

Hearing reports of shortage of pheasant and partridge eggs coming in from France so there'll be a shortage of poults in many areas (and shortage of guns who with disposable income in others!).

enfieldspares

Gonna need a fleet of beaters wagons if the 2m separation guidance is still in place
OTOH some beaters will FINALLY understand that when beating a cover crop that "a two metre space" isn't two feet between them and the man on their left and ten feet between them and the man on their right but six feet between both!

On a serious side though this maybe won't affect shoots with single handed full time keepers that (if they can after CV-19 still getn them) put down poults in July it will gravely affect April and possibly May organised work parties on friends' syndicates.

Last edited:

Bramble

My son has lost his apprenticeship due to a couple of the main syndicate pulling out due to buissnes worries, so dissapointed, couple of local shoots cancelled the whole season, real shame, but there are many worse off.

countrryboy

Must admit I can see it effecting pheasant and partridge shots far more than the grouse.
With the grouse the birds are there anyway, if the weather is kind and habitat vermin work is done. I doubt any hill keepers will be letting up on the vermin.
They don't have to start shooting them in aug, many Scottish moors won't really shoot them till late aug/sept.

With released bird shoots there is a lot of early outlay for birds which should be arriving on rearing fields fairly soon
I have also heard about a possibly shortage of birds/eggs coming from france.
It would be a brave man writing a cheque for thousands or tens of thousands for birds with so many unknowns, and things changing so quickly.
August or sept, Oct are a long long way off at the mnuate.

Klenchblaize

I think a lot of the game shooting clients are being very affected at the moment. A lot of the city is effectively shot down and the money making engines are pretty much in neutral if not switched off. Spare cash, profits and bonuses will be non existent so several days game shooting may well be a stretch too far. Imagine the 2008 crash but supercharged.
This. At least for those so-called High Bird Estates that charge the equivalent of a toilet roll 6-pack for a day of driven rockets.

K