Working a Dog not from working parents

My GWP was not from fully working parents, dame did a bit of work with the hawk. Sire apparently worked on pheasant shoot a few times a year, Health checks etc win every time rather than blood lines and trailing certifications, she will point just about anything indicate deer fox etc just does it, and will track with relative easy .. just put the time and am sure you will be fine.

My pup (9 months) to date has been bloody brilliant (not so distant sound of wheels falling off) both parents pets - sire has good number of imported FT champs grandfather being one of them. Dam of a few show lines and the odd working dog in there too. I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Pups are all a bit of a pig in a poke

As an addition to this thread, are there any books/learning resources people suggest for HPRs particularly HWV?
I’m used to cockers!!!!

I’ve bred working dogs had my own for over 35 yrs and just because a pup comes from working parents it don’t make em workers necessarily the last pup out of one of the best bitches I’ve ever had is crap lovely dog but useless ! Great bloodlines didn’t matter , I rehomed a lab yrs ago no papers nothing turned out a great old dog

Thanks Scotty do you know the lines well?

I'm not an expert but I did do quite a bit of research a few years ago when I got mine.

The following lines all have generally good offspring:-

Zoldmali
Gonegos
Travizda (that's Ruby in my avatar)
Morganna
Moricroft

If you want more info contact either the HWV Association or the HWV Club of GB, both will be able to help, the HWV Association is slightly more working dog oriented.

You have made the right breed choice, I love my two, so versatile, they work in the beating line or pick up on a driven day, will hunt, point and retrieve in the classic manner on a walked up day, they will sit in a pigeon hide and retrieve the runners, they'll come out with me at night when I'm foxing as well as point deer and track runners. Absolutley a brilliant breed.

Good luck.

Last edited:
The only thing I'd say is depending n the breed there may be other issues that are not a problem for non shooting dogs but could be a problem for working dogs.

Things like noise/whining possibly even gun shyness or dislike of water potetially could be more if an issue from non working parents, althou that brings on the whole nature versus nurture debate. If u believe they can be genetic.
In a lot of cases if u put the ground work in and introduce them correctly u shouldn't have a problem, good handlers never have gun/water shy dogs no matter wot breed
Also the fact now many owners haven't a clue how good or bad there bitch is, so rubbish bitches with major faults are breed with.
So really in some cases the 'working' title might not mean an awful lot.

Wot are u training the dog to do??
Personally if ur just wanting it as a gundog to fill a roll similar to ur cockers I'd just train ur dog in a similar fashion. A wee bit fine tuning here and there to suit ur dogs personality.
I'm about to have a go at training an hpr with placeboards, never heard of anyone doing it before. But in theory can see the benefits.
End of day most dogs have similar ish psychology many things that work with 1 breed will work with another.
Just have to adapt as u go to suit ur dog/breed

I always liked Micheal branders books more, althou I have to say not a lot in them that's not in other better written gundog books.
Very little deer/scent training written in the books.

I always mind years ago sitting in a shoot howf a with a local legendary trainer/trialler who's won everything and got the t shirt.
He was talking about his 1st Ftch he made up, said vet phoned him he had a healthy but wild dog in to be PTS, he took it away and made it into a Ftch.
Granted that would off been in 70s doubt u could do that now as standards a lot higher

Ron, try and get a copy of this book by Guy Wallace, it's a good read and there are a lot of good tips in it.
ATB.

Attachments

• IMG_20200626_212118.jpg
    IMG_20200626_212118.jpg
    342.9 KB · Views: 7
Lol Nah, sorry I won't part with it. I've had the book a good few years and still pick it up for a read now and again.
I think they are getting harder to find.

They are on amazon secondhand for about £30-£40. Worthwhile investment in my opinion. Has a really nice way of training.

Back