World Cup questions from an Aussie.

John Gryphon

I`m going for the Poms of course even though there is the rugger and the cricket angst lol.

But I was wondering if the rest of the UK embraces the Pom soccer team in solidarity or do some take up with the opposition?

Uncle f

Well most in England would you assume support England as I do, however we are so very multicultural (being careful) that many people could support many teams
for Instance one of the boozers in my village have had German, French,Belgian,Spain,Senegal and even Saudi Arabian supporters show up
the latter was most interesting as I didn’t think they were allowed in drinking establishments???!!!

plonker

I'm a taff supporting the England football team and hope they win!
As for rugby...........they know where they can stick their chariots :gheyfight:
Atb dave

jimbo1984

Personally I can't wait for it to be over can't stand football and sick of hearing about it , in fact I take great pride in not having watched a single minute of the World Cup , but I makes some folk happy so live and let live wouldn't miss the rugby though :)

paul o'

There are mass's of flags most nr every light pole has one in Eastwood Essex all be it The
St George red cross Flag but we must remember
he was not Englishman but a Roman Soldier of Greek decent :eek: ?:rofl:
ah well we are a melting pot and have been since the hook nose's came over the water . Bring on the 6 nations Come on you Springboks :stir:

bogtrotter

Personally I can't wait for it to be over can't stand football and sick of hearing about it , in fact I take great pride in not having watched a single minute of the World Cup , but I makes some folk happy so live and let live wouldn't miss the rugby though :)

Likewise not got a great interest in the game ,seen snatches here and there but not watched complete game.

mealiejimmy

I'm a scot who is more than happy with Englands' progress in the world cup and sincerely hope they win it.
As I said, I'm a scot, but also a brit and England are the only brit team playing in the world cup, so I'm obviously going to support them.
In addition, this is an England team with a humility both from the players, and particularly the manager, that I have never seen before and I am truly impressed by it.
Finally, and maybe most importantly it's really getting up the noses of the Scottish Nationalists:D

Cheers

Bruce

Highlandsjohn

A talking head said 'thats the furthest we've progresses since 1966'...Oh gawd..:rofl: Aw well, good luck England. john

John Gryphon

I'm a scot who is more than happy with England's' progress in the world cup and sincerely hope they win it.
Cheers

Bruce

That is what I was asking,I actually thought that the replies from Scootlaund would be all negative,good on you.

GOOD LUCK,GO YOU POMMY BARSTEWARDS!

VSS

I`m going for the Poms of course even though there is the rugger and the cricket angst lol.

But I was wondering if the rest of the UK embraces the Pom soccer team in solidarity or do some take up with the opposition?

Not all of the UK. The Welsh will always side with the opposition whenever England is playing.

Pedro

There are those in Wales and Scotland who will still do anything to vilify the English and always support anyone who is playing against them. Not so much in Ireland I find though, even if historically the English were probably more violent over there in centuries past. I guess it's bred into them, following some battle in the Middle ages or something that really isn't relevant today. However, I'm mildly encouraged by the replies on here from our Celtic brethren. More power to your elbows. BTW, I always support any team from the British Isles, with the exception of when they play England of course.

Triggermortis

22 overpaid, lazy,pampered,poor excuses for sportsman chasing a bag of wind round a bit of grass and most of em couldn’t score if their life depended on it!
any player that can’t score at least once a week should be sacked, isn’t that what they are paid £100,000’s a week to do?

I have little interest in football

However I've recently become a bit more interested in this team

A far cry from the fake heroes and idle layabouts that used to populate the English team

Sad and a little ironic that whilst these young lads are playing their hearts out for their country, their own Gov is taking the opportunity to shaft that same country right royally

Pedro

The sad thing is that, win or lose, some of the numpties that support football will mark the occasion by trashing their own neighbourhood.

Essexsussex

I have little interest in football

However I've recently become a bit more interested in this team

A far cry from the fake heroes and idle layabouts that used to populate the English team
i agree with this - I am not a football fan but thought I would watch whichever one we won on penalties (the first group game). Ironically I think the first game I have watched end to end since the game Southgate missed the penalty.
I watched it with an open mind and found it fantastic. It was very jostly which helped, and it was England not a club loosely connected with an area I don’t even live in (like the usual Man U, Chelsea etc stuff we see in the week).
and for once I found it fantastic - exciting edge of seat stuff and I am very much looking forward to tuning in again this eve.

Tazz

We have got further than anyone dared to dream, I would have taken quater finals prior to the tournament. What’s different this week time, youth with no egos managed by a guy who has experienced the highs and very lows of international football who has a plan, both feet on the ground and a sense of humility