Worth owning a rifle for paid stalking?

Territory Hunting

rooster

I have just had my first renewal and have owned a .308 for range/stalking for 3 years or so now, probably been out 15 times or so and have taken 7 deer. I am getting bored with lying prone and firing at set ranges and my finances do not allow unlimited days out, but i have spent at least £1600 on rifle, scope and mod alone and am beginning to think i would have been better off using estate rifles and keeping my money, even thinking of selling up. Anyone felt the same?

neil_r

Think you will be better off with your own rifle, you know it, you zero it and you can be confident that you will place the shot exactly where you want to, you can't say the same for an estate rifle.

gr1ffer

i would keep your rifle you never know how your situation may change and may well get your own ground you will need your rifle then

jackfish

+1 keep the rifle, you know what you've got and what its capable of, its amazing how quickly things can change opportunity wise.

ATB

​Bryan

Dougster

+1. Does your investment not motivate you to get out and find some land ?

There seems to be very very little of it about, all, as usual, being concentrated amongst the few. Not saying that's right or wrong, but not necessarily a valid excuse to keep £1500 in a metal box.

www.yorkshireroestalking.

Distinguished Member
My estate rifle is a sako 75 in 6.5x55 a new Zeiss victory by scope and zero checked almost daily £ 10 if it's fired almost 4k with the brightest optics on the market 7 Deer in 3 years is that enough to have your own Gun just sat in a box?

norma 308

I would keep your rifle chap !it always amazes me how many people change so often ,I really can't get my head around how folk are content to stalk so little as its such an addiction even if it's not out with the rifle but recy work or high seat placement making a deer lawn .keep looking for a patch of your own .a mate of mine has a wood he's looked after for deer from scratch how satisfying to create habitate and manage the deer from your hard work hope this spurrs you on !
Kind regards
​norma

243 Stalker

There is an old saying - you never appreciate what you have till you don't have it anymore.
keep the rifle as others have said situations change.
​ATB 243 Stalker

satellite buck

keep your rifle..if you did manage to sell it at what you paid for it ..it would'nt pay for many days out and when you do get some land you'll have to start all over again with buying a new set up. also few months away from the range and your trigger finger will start to itch. i have a small bit of stalking (well its pitiful ,actually really pitiful) but when im there it all seems worth it.

Hw60sniper

My estate rifle is a sako 75 in 6.5x55 a new Zeiss victory by scope and zero checked almost daily £ 10 if it's fired almost 4k with the brightest optics on the market 7 Deer in 3 years is that enough to have your own Gun just sat in a box?

Depends on yourself id say mate ive got my own rifles but when down on a holiday last year got a wee shot of John's estate rifle and couldnt complain about his either ;) .Although not sure all prostalkers will have as good gear id hate to think any other pro would give gear that wouldnt hit the target. How much is piece of mind worth?

howy308

There are pluses and minuses its all down to your finances. Estate rifles are always checked regularly and to get your own land is all about being in the right place at the right time and if the owner likes you or not. Not every one is outgoing and would make it practically impossible to get your own land if you are not, to most farmers you provide a service and others it is about money which you cannot blame them as it is a business.I have been lucky enough to shoot on land in a shoot where the farmer wanted the deer shooting and also to run my own shoot with plenty of deer on. I am now in a great syndicate in Scotland but if I only shot now and then when I could afford I would seriously consider using the estate rifle but that is just my opinion unless you like paper punching.

David T

There seems to be very very little of it about, all, as usual, being concentrated amongst the few. Not saying that's right or wrong, but not necessarily a valid excuse to keep £1500 in a metal box.

It's out there, you just need to be persistent. Guess that's how the few get bigger ? Local estates, syndicates etc all could potentially be a route to your the OPs own permission. Know what happens if you don't ask though...........
If all that has been tried, not just once, and still no ground then the question makes sense. Until then, if it was me, I would be knocking on doors.

BunnyDoom

Although according to some getting land is just a case of knocking on doors, in reality there simply isn't enough ground to go around in certain parts of the country. I've called/visited over 50 local farms and although I've had some good conversations all the stalking is tied up.

I've enough rabbit and fox shooting to justify my rim fires, but only have a small amount of deer shooting - I'm fortunate enough to get invites stalking from mates with ground but without that I think I'd be thinking along the same lines as you.

15 outings in 3 years surely isn't worth keeping a rifle? By the sounds of it you aren't using it enough to have the familiarity with your rifle that people are suggesting is a reason to keep it?

Most pro's have awesome estate rifles which will probably be the same or better than yours so I reckon ditch your rifle and use the money to do a little more stalking... or go on holiday!

Pedro

It may be £1500 tied up in a box, but it's yours and nobody else's! I suspect it's not costing you much to keep it, so my thoughts would be to keep it until and unless you're pretty desperate for that money. If you do go stalking and the estate rifle is tied up that day, if you want to go paper punching now and again, or if you do get lucky and get some permission, it'd be silly to have sold it. I don't know if you bought new or not, but even so, rifles don't depreciate like cars. Especially looked after and little shot rifles.

Only my opinion of course. Other opinions are available. :)

charadam

I would hang on to it on the simple basis that I don't want to go through all the twaddle (and who knows how complex that will be) of applying for a new FAC in the future.

rooster

Cheers for the replies lads, food for thought. As said things are tight, syndicates etc are out of reach at the minute, my financial situation has changed quite a bit since i first got my FAC but i do not need to sell. I have just got my shotgun certificate as there seems to be more opportunities for a cheap day out.
cheers
steve

PSE Composites Limited