Wpund photographs

To show or not to show?

• Total voters

JAYB

Administrator
Site Staff
Now then lets get this sorted, what's the consensus of opinion here, do we or do we not display photographs of the effects of different bullets on our prey? Do we only show shots where the beast merely looks as if it is asleep or do we do the skinned out injuries received bit. I don't care I can just as easily describe the wound and bullet used etc, or show the photo. I don't really care but in the interest of coming to a decision I have opted for just a show or no show, no time for fence sitters, decision time. Each to his own just be sure to read all the arguments for and against.

I have set this poll to run for 7 days and I would suggest that we as a site membership abide by the decision reached by that time. What do you all think, what about you Rob?

John

Offroad Gary

Account Suspended
good idea John.

perhaps if we decide to show these images we should post links and descriptions of the images, rather than images themselves, so that viewers get a choice to view or not, rather than stumbling on the images by accident.

Gary

300wsm

Account Suspended
Post links to your photo hosting page but not the pic on here.

Disease and parasites are different and are educational.

Just my opinion.

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
Have to agree with 300wsm on this. I dont think gaping bloody holes in deer are what joe public needs to see if they stumble across this site. After all we all know what any calibre will do from 243 upwards if it hits a deer in the wrong place or bone without taking photos. Just my opinion.

tartinjock

Distinguished Member
It would be good if the site could be filtered so only members can see photographs!! Don't know if this is possable though....?

Over to you computer boffins.....

apollo

I dont see a problem, these pics are of what we do when we shoot animals with large calibres, we are shooting them not giving a lethal injection after all and the pics and story go hand in hand... IMHO

buckup

I feel there are so many variables that when a beast is shot the resultant wound will be anything from a neat in/out to a neat in and half a chest and shoulder missing, so is there any point in the photo? I do try not to upset or offend non shooters, and this is quite shocking material to some eyes. Most if not all the guys here are quite capable of describing the effect without the need for graphics.
Yet again just my humble opinion.
Mark.

Nick Gordon

My view is that even if you restrict access to the photos, any anti wanting to see them simply has simply to register as a forum member.

As others have indicated, we all know the effect of a high powered calibre bullet on a deer, so, showing photos does not really help anyone.

Just my opinion.

Nick

Blodwen Price

As has been said, each wound is unique to that stalk/animal/bullet/load etc etc, so I don't think there is much to be learnt from the photos IMO.

That said I do find it sad that we have to have this discussion but that is the world we live in and it ain't about to change either. The antis will find something to beat us with so why even take the risk of giving them another opportunity. I do agree with 300wsm on the diseases bit, apart from liver fluke, I've only ever seen the photos in the DSC manual.

The Mole

I honestly don't think that there is much to learn from such photos - as others have said, different calibres/loads etc produce different results. And who would decide what has instructional value against what is purely gratuitous? On a site available to the general public there's too much risk of offence, misinterpretation - you name it.

Diseases, parasites etc - yes, obvious value.

stone

personally i think this poll should last atleast 14 days as then it will give everyone a chance to see or read it , as we know some members only go on the site once a week at best or some may be on holiday that would normaly post
but the bigger picture is obviously what the poll is about , yes i do like to look at the pictures posted , and some times they are a bit gruesome but so is releasing farm reared boar from an enclosure into the wild or mink ,that's even more devastating , cuddly bunny syndrome has taken a big effect in this country in how we feel and react to countryside matters
like john has stated we may need a bit of clarifacation on this matter for the good of this site and stalking in general so 300wsm's proposal looks a good compromise

old keeper

wound photgraphs

One side of me shrieks publish and be damned, however common sense tells me that those of us who are involved in shooting and allied pursuits should, whether we like it or not accept that a very large percentage of people these days do not approve of what goes on in our beloved countryside. I feel that to place even more ammo: in their hands will only make promoting our cause more difficult.
An example of this happened to me only last night. I was out with friends for dinner :rolleyes: There was a mix of country and townspeople, young and old. Talk got on to the fact I was a keeper and the usual justifying of what I did etc: got under way. All was going well till one of the young lads proudly told the tale how a week or so ago he was out shooting "branchers" A somewhat vivid description followed of how much they enjoyed "blasting" the young rooks "all day". From then on the whole atmosphere changed and the discussion from my point of view was basically lost :( Could it be similar with publishing graphic pics of bullet wounds. People will follow a reasoned argument because they don't see the whole picture and very often prefer it that way.

old keeper

wound photgraphs

One side of me shrieks publish and be damned, however common sense tells me that those of us who are involved in shooting and allied pursuits should, whether we like it or not accept that a very large percentage of people these days do not approve of what goes on in our beloved countryside. I feel that to place even more ammo: in their hands will only make promoting our cause more difficult.
An example of this happened to me only last night. I was out with friends for dinner :rolleyes: There was a mix of country and townspeople, young and old. Talk got on to the fact I was a keeper and the usual justifying of what I did etc: got under way. All was going well till one of the young lads proudly told the tale how a week or so ago he was out shooting "branchers" A somewhat vivid description followed of how much they enjoyed "blasting" the young rooks "all day". From then on the whole atmosphere changed and the discussion from my point of view was basically lost :( Could it be similar with publishing graphic pics of bullet wounds. People will follow a reasoned argument because they don't see the whole picture and very often prefer it that way.

Beowulf

Very good point Old Keeper. I was watching a repeat of Hugh Fearnley Whittington's 'A Cook on the Wildside' some ten years ago it was orginally run. I was surprised to see how even my attitude had changed to some of the programs. Hugh was climbing up to the Rooks nests and pushing the chicks into a bag in any old fashion. It made my toes curl a bit. He made a number of gaffs in the series that I felt looked bad on the hunting community. The River Cottage web site has a section about deer stalking and I know that at least two members of this site have looked in on it. Problem is that the comments about deer on the site are rather offensive and inaccurate. You can't educate pork. :(

Heym SR20

Agree with Old Keeper and Beowulf - we have to be very sensitive and would pictures are often quite gory.

I must admit a tastefully done trophy photo with the hunter looks good, but a poorly done photo of a beast all bloody with a red neck drooling over it all dressed in Cammo just doesn't do us any favours,

Nor indeed does the photo / image of "toff" blasting phaesants or indeed paesants out of the sky help either.

I think we need to be seen as civilised members of society enjoy a legitamit sporting activity and doing our best for te welfare of animals.

But appreciate that wound phots etc are very useful to help ensure clean kills etc.

Should we have a private forum not accessable by members of the public for such discussion???

JAYB

Administrator
Site Staff
Well, the time is up and according to the poll the membership has voted to show photo's. So Admin, can we have a decision, tasteful and educational photo's only?, gratuitous blood and gore not acceptable, whats the official line.

John

Just noticed there have only been 16 replies as opposed to 41 votes, now I am not sure but I take it only members can vote, so there will be no faceless Trolls amongst the 41 will there? These are all genuine votes.

Offroad Gary

Account Suspended
as the person that originally started this ball rolling i think its too close to even consider showing the pictures. there are some quite strong feelings amongst the members, and some very sensible comments.

techman

JAYB, I am one of the faceless ones. I didn't add a post as I felt that what I had to say had already been said.
SO
Just plain shot--- NO.
Something unusual or educational---OK.

JAYB

Administrator
Site Staff
Techman, I was calling the Trolls faceless not members, you made me feel all guilty now :oops:

John