Wrong rifle wrong place + Cubs + adults

philip

Out tonight with .22 LR on Rabbits grassed 3 rabbits then spied some more on route further up, moved the truck up 40 yds - gazing through the thermal - Teckel yips up looks back to the rabbits grassed vixen there ( still really good light) and picks up a rabbit and a bolter took them over to two cubs in the edge long grass to the left can only see the two, vixen goes back for another rabbit and exits to the right away from the cubs, 10 mins later 2 adults one is the earlier vixen, the other was defo not a dog fox, probably a follower, no sign of the rabbit, 10 mins passed another cub came from the right and disappeared into the hedge with all of em

It looked like the follower was waiting on the single cub - to catch up with rest. ???

Notes to oneself take the hornet or Duce next time out on the rabbits. Doh

Nice bag of rabbits followed so it didn't end as a disaster nice couple of hours out and re match booked in

Last edited:

philip

Distance ? Shot plenty foxes with .22LR not my weapon of choice but if its all I've had to hand.
When I grassed the rabbits it was 60 yds on moving back, range would have been 90 + yds wee bit long for the LR head shot, they’ll keep for another day, when I’ve got the appropriate calibre:doh:

teyhan1

Think you'll be surprised at how quickly a good shot to the engine room will put a fox down.
I've had quite a few bang flops but most never make it past 30m

willowbank

Distance ? Shot plenty foxes with .22LR not my weapon of choice but if its all I've had to hand.
I can remember (in my Father’s Day) all they had were .22 rimmies, invariably left behind the kitchen door. Anyone who had a larger calibre was a deerstalker. He could knock a Fox over at 80yds all day everyday with HV yellow stingers.
Willowbank.

LuckyEddie

I've shot a fox at a greater range than 80yds.
It ran about 20yds before expiring.
All you need is the confidence that where you are aiming is where the bullet will go.
To get that you need to practise.
The range that I used to go to had .22 target rifles users shooting at targets 200yds away and were getting better results than myself simply because that is what they did.

Ed

The fourth Horseman

Whacked a big dog this week .17 HMR 17gr 160 yds, lifted head once and expired, broadside chest shot. First fox ever .22 short, chest shot 50 yds open sights I was 14yrs old.

philip

I can remember (in my Father’s Day) all they had were .22 rimmies, invariably left behind the kitchen door. Anyone who had a larger calibre was a deerstalker. He could knock a Fox over at 80yds all day everyday with HV yellow stingers.
Willowbank.

Memories of stingers - 10 stinger shots through the Annie semi auto, back home re tighten all screws and bolts, shook loose with the recoil, It still brings a smile back when I think of that rifle, even though it was many many years ago, when it had stingers in its throat it was nearly a stalking rifle. :lol::lol: It did account for a huge amount. (Can’t remember the FPS for a stinger round must have been somewhere up with the Hmr I guess) , took care of rabbits and foxes then. It was a really good rifle apart from the shakey loose bit

oowee

Memories of stingers - 10 stinger shots through the Annie semi auto, back home re tighten all screws and bolts, shook loose with the recoil, It still brings a smile back when I think of that rifle, even though it was many many years ago, when it had stingers in its throat it was nearly a stalking rifle. :lol::lol: It did account for a huge amount. (Can’t remember the FPS for a stinger round must have been somewhere up with the Hmr I guess) , took care of rabbits and foxes then. It was a really good rifle apart from the shakey loose bit
1650 fps compared to 2650 fps for the HMR. big difference in weight of course.

The fourth Horseman

This might get some peoples knickers in a twist and I'm not advocating that we should be doing it today, but in my youth
many roe were shot with .22LR ( it was legal then) and I don't remember many being lost ,many more were wounded by shotguns on deer drives which were also common at that time..
In my teens .22LR was the go to tool for Fallow, funnily enough never lost one. Then we got the BIG rifle, a .22 Hornet. I must admit the Hornet was a superb rifle for Roe.

landkeeper

my memory of stingers was you probably needed the 10 shots to hit what you were aiming at!!! i never had a .22 that enjoyed being fed on them

philip

.22 hornet I used in Scotland for quite a while, years ago it was a Holland and Holland side lever, single shot, with hexagonal barrels with extraordinarily a scope rail, I had a 6x42 Swaro habicht on it

Beautiful piece of kit and I sold it to get a .243 :doh:

I grassed a few Roe with it - superb

The fourth Horseman

.22 hornet I used in Scotland for quite a while, years ago it was a Holland and Holland side lever, single shot, with hexagonal barrels with extraordinarily a scope rail, I had a 6x42 Swaro habicht on it

Beautiful piece of kit and I sold it to get a .243 :doh:

I grassed a few Roe with it - superb
I'll bet it probably used go be a rook rifle .300 or similar, David Little used to stock a lot of them. Stupidly I never bought one.