Xq38

villaman

Is it worth the extra for the xq38lrf instead of xq38
I see Blackwood’s have a sale on at the moment

Tim.243

Is it worth the extra for the xq38lrf instead of xq38
I see Blackwood’s have a sale on at the moment
What is the difference ? Also what do you intend to use it for as the ranger finder will only tell you it is too far to shoot or how far you have to walk...!!
If you know your ground then you will know how far the places are from the wood to the spinney etc

Tazz

I have the XQ38 Helion without RF not sure its worth the extra money for the RF in what circumstances would you use it. ( Waiting for the first one to say “ so you can see how far something is”)

Andyquadra

I have the XQ38 Helion without RF not sure its worth the extra money for the RF in what circumstances would you use it. ( Waiting for the first one to say “ so you can see how far something is”)
I think the OP is referring to the Axion XQ38, not the Helion XQ38f

Andyquadra

Yes sorry Axion xq38
I'm looking as well, watch some of the youtube video's of the spec's and reviews. That's how I found out the LRF doesn't record. As others have said, what do you want it for? If its just a spotter, you don't really need the LRF function, that's on the NV/bino's

Cows94

I've an an Axion XQ38 LRF. Be honest I wish I hadn't bothered with the LRF now. It's not great compared to the one on the Digisight even though it's supposed to be same unit. Can try range something with the XQ, get not reading after several attempts. Put the Digisight on & it'll read straight away

Magnificent 7

I've the lrf and rate it tbh good close and at distance and I was a definite anti thermal person.It doesn't record or take pictures but I'm not that bothered I'm out shooting not Filming

Magnificent 7

I have some decent bins already so rather than buying a thermal and a set of RF bins I just opted for keeping bins and getting RF thermal.I did get a mega discount from my shop so it was a no brainer.

deerstalker.308

Having bought this week an axion xm 30 I asked myself the same questions about recording function and range finders, to me it is a spotter and does not replace the rest of my gear, I don’t need to record what I’m looking at, and if I need to range or identify something the binos are the tool for the job

Cloudhopper

I have some decent bins already so rather than buying a thermal and a set of RF bins I just opted for keeping bins and getting RF thermal.I did get a mega discount from my shop so it was a no brainer.
Same here, I changed from the xm30s for this reason and I've found that the XQ38LRF is better in every respect except size; it's far more bulky.
CH

Kevgun

I Have the Axion XQ38LRF and bought it for that very reason, to know the distance, to see whether the shot is go, no go, I cover about 60,000 acres with my various permissions so you can't know the distance to every shot. don't use it much on familiar ground, but it's a useful tool to have.

RTAW85

I have had both the Axion XQ38 and XQ38 LRF. The XQ38 LRF is the one that still remains. Mostly used for foxing. I found myself wanting with the standard XQ38 and bought the LRF. Guessing distances through thermal is almost impossible unless your ground has good landmarks and you know it like the back of your hand. I disliked the idea of bolting something else the side of the scope so a LRF add on was a no go (it only gets in the way at the crucial moment). The LRF on the Axion gives huge comfort on every shot. I find the single ping a little temperamental in certain conditions but the scan mode never let's me down. The trade off is the video and picture/WiFi. Why anyone needs to record themselves shooting stuff for some form of gratification on social media or to jerk off to when they get home is beyond me, but each to their own... Whatever sinks their submarine! For solely daytime use, with out a shadow of a doubt, I'd go for the standard XQ38 and a good pair of LRF binos.

Farmer Geddon

The trade off is the video and picture/WiFi. Why anyone needs to record themselves shooting stuff for some form of gratification on social media or to jerk off to when they get home is beyond me, but each to their own... Whatever sinks their submarine! For solely daytime use, with out a shadow of a doubt, I'd go for the standard XQ38 and a good pair of LRF binos.
I could never get this either, but for monitoring deer numbers, fawns etc it could be good. I find it rather depressing seeing fox after fox blown to pieces on you tube, it doesn't do us any favours & certainly creates a lot of hatred in the comments section. What the eye doesn't see , the heart dont miss.