xxx

My experience is limited but a chap at work reckons i should be using a deer caller now, so unless he knows something the rest of us don`t.......
basil.

The Rut!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

RhestartoftheRut.jpg

I was out on my ground in West Sussex last weekend with Robin off the site. Have to say I did not see any real posative signs of the rut beggining, even though we saw two Bucks and 3 doe's on two fields. One quite nice 6 pointer was with two doe's but did not appear interested, although around the headlands there appeared to have been a fair bit or running around. We took a good cull head Buck that was on its own.

Last year it did not get going on my area until very late July early August, and was over not long after it started.

rut

I dont think it is far away up north. I had clients out last week and the bucks were chasing does. It is just a matter of time now. :lol: You southerners should get there first, but, as soon as I see I will inform the rest of you. :rolleyes:

Much too early. Give it a week or two - weather permitting.....

The bucks may well be chasing does, but nothing will really happen until the does come into oestrus

Have seen a few large medal class bucks they are not interested in the does at all its a long way off up here. I have a Diary and it is normally round the second week of August were i am and the weather don't hold em back.

not seen anthing to exciting yet , just a few new bucks hav moved onto my ground and just starting to show themselves but in the past the rut on my ground , does not seem to get into the swing of things, till last week of july
any one else who stalk roe in wawrickshire and surrounding areas ,seen any definate signs yet

The Rut

I watched two seperate bucks north of the border west coast chasing doe's over 2 weeks ago on my lease, but not over intrested in keeping them what i can say is they all look in great shape and the bucks on my other ground over the border east coast have responded to calling last week

amberdog

I saw a more bucks yesterday morning than I have seen for weeks, they were all quite active and on the move. It could have been the finer weather but hardly a doe in sight.

Wayne

Bucksden wrote
i have a day booked on the 29th July, hopefully it will be in full swing by then

Hi Bucksden I'm down in Hampshire 25-27th stalking on a mates ground, we go down that weekend every year and never failed to see some activity.
Goodluck now doubt I will here if you do any good ;)

Wayne

Ladystalker and myself went for a mooch around yesterday, we watched a buck doing some terrotory marking which L/S promptly stalked and shot, l got into a buck a bit later on his own and after a nice little stalk took it down, no sign of the rut yet in my area, but after a prolonged lean period it was good to get back into beasts again, l don't reckon the rut is to far of now but with such a late harvest it may make it a bit more interesting.

I took a mate out last night by Stanway in the Cotswold's.
Max my Gsp lead us through a waist high hay Field right to a doe lay down. We stalked on into the next field where we bumped another doe which went off barking at which point a buck came storming up the field to see what was going on even though he had another doe with him.
He first stopped in a unsafe position so I tried the buttalo to which he also responded and came up to about 35 yards and stood broadside :D

Sorry no pics forgot the camera

Wayne

I think it's started down South. Friend of mine said he has seen rutting activity in Hampshire.

Went for a quick stalk last night and bumped into Joe Public in the woods.
He asks what I am after and I say some roe would be ideal. He says "oh oh I have just seen two deer having a big fight ". "Great" methinks, so I move on and find a high seat. As I have now bought a Buttolo I cant resist a pheep or two, and within ten minutes I hear a disturbance in the plantation.......and out pops a doe....DOH! She seems most interested but there is no sign of the buck, and eventually I go home. Anyone know if this is common? Weather was mild and clear, and a bit breezy.

yes

Yes I have seen this.
I have called does into 15yds, and only stopped because of a fence. They will sometimes show aggresive behaviour, like stamping their feet and barking.

They are defending their territories.

J

Back