Yardage estimations.

Stoney Creek - Purpose Built Shooting Clothing
D

Davie

basil i have tested my self and up to about 150 -170 i am pretty good but after that not only me but my mates who were having a play with a range finder suffered quite badly.

snowstorm

Hi Basil,

I suppose without a laser range finder I've no way of knowing if I'm any good or not! I suspect I'm not and I tend to over estimate ranges.

Without known reference points like roads or houses I find it very difficult e.g. across open country or trees. I do pace things out a lot for zeroing and find that 50 yards is farther away than I actually think it is.

I do think about getting a range finder but its another bit of kit to hump around and break - I'll be setting targets across my common shooting points and callibrating my aim points to them.

That's how I'm planning to help myself get better.

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
Get to know your ground well and its land marks you can then get a rough idea by pacing it out or using a range finder.

Although I do not carry a range finder with me all the time, I often have one with me on the open hill, as clients often question the range when you advise them of the distance,and over dead ground it can be difficult to estimate the range.

Bandit Country

Right now Basil I know I am pretty duff at it. Years ago I was much better, but that was down to constant practice during what was euphemistically called "background activity" on the range detail. :)

Since stalking with Varmint243 I'm getting better as we play the "estimate the range to that tree" game. Varmint estimates and then I tell him the answer - as I'm the one with the laser binos! :lol: To be fair, he's pretty damn close and I put that down to the amount of foxing he's done. Once again it is practice & experience that count.

Claret_Dabbler

I'm not too bad out to 200 - 225m. Beyond that it is a guessing game. Once you go over 350-400m, it is easy to be wrong by 150m.

Xim

i've wondered this also for distances in certain fields and a good way to find out is to go to google-maps.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

zoom in untill you get a scale of 200 metres per inch or use a scale rule.

so yes you are basically placing the rule on your PC monitor.

marking lengths of fields using this method probably isnt as acurate as a laser range finder...but when u dont have the hardware then good ole' tinternet has its uses.

warning gets quite addictive :)

243varmint

Thanks Bandit, I think it is down to the all the picking up and pacing out the foxes we have shot over the years. It's suprising how the same distance looks so much differant in the day light compared to night . It is quite good to know that when you estimate a range and comfirm it with the range finder and your not that for out.
Also as Malc has said, 'know your ground'. Make mental notes of trees and landmarks etc, and range them so you know their distance.
Jonathon

N.F.W.M

I find that out to 150 I'm quite accurate. Having spent a childhood hunting with air rifles out to 25 I can dupilicate this distance but after 150 yards it gets a bit vague. I have a pair of range finders and spend hours pinging just for intrests sake. Dead ground always messes up my estimations.

243varmint

what's dead ground
Say you have a large field which consits of rolling countryside ( peaks and troughs). The trough's are the dead ground , you might not know how deep they are or how wide they are , so when you see the peak on the other side the distance can be deceiving. Think I have explained it right.
feel free to comment if this is incorrct :D
Jonathon

Richard Parsons

Every shot seems a long way at night. Back in the daytime you look at it and think it seemed much much further last night. Strange indeed...[/img]

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
XIM, 243 varmit has it about right. Dead ground is something you get a great deal of in Scotland for instance.

Sometimes you stalk into a beast, and it stands above you or straight in front with a number of dips or gullies inbetween you and the target, which may not be obvious to you if you do not know your ground, it is an area you cannot see but you know it to be there.

This is termed as dead ground, and it can make judging the distance to the target difficult. This is why it is important to know your ground, which will help you to know the distance you may be asked to shoot, or ask a client to shoot. Hope this explains it.

I also agree with Claret Dabbler over 200yds it gets difficult to judge distance sensibly, of course a great deal depends on the terrain, and weather at the time. That is also why I do not advocate taking silly shots over 200yds unless you are very confident, know your ground, the deer, the weather, your rifle and the round you are shooting and most important your limitations. Then shots out to 350yds may be taken under extreme circumstances, but over this you are living in a fantasy world if you think you can pull off the shot everytime, and you are not showing the respect that deer deserve, even if you are an experienced stalker.

Cheers

Claret_Dabbler

As a further example, we were out on Saturday evening spending some time on a new chunk of ground we just had signed up, checking out the lie of the land, were we might expect deer to move etc.

I could see the boundary of our permission from a lane way, I thought it was 300-350yards from were I was standing. The new Swaro LRF showed it to be 375 yards. The ground was rising away from the boundary up to a plantation. I thought this plantion was about another 150yards. The LRF showed that this plantation was actually 680yards. I was out by 150yards.

At night most people tend to over estimate range. A 150 - 175 yards shot at night is very long. My buddy shot a fox a couple of weeks ago. He swore it was 180-200 yards. I paced it at 135 yards.

Trapper

bought one of them monocular scopes , golfers use em!!! :eek: out to 6/700 yd PHUT! are OK against solid backgrounds but not directly at beasts , way round it is point at feet !solid background, so far a toy i tend to forget to pack but I got one , best is mark one eyeball and pacing, old versus new !!Whatever (judge distance by a known unit of measure). Then do the deed
Regards Trapper

charadam

Way back - no, way, way back in infantry training we had to learn range estimation over all kinds of ground so as to be able to give effective fire orders. You remember - "400! bushy topped tree, 4 o'clock, red-roofed shed, Section ...... Rapid...... Fire!"

Here's an idea.

At the M&S, how about if I set up a stand, £5.00 a go, 10 targets, closest "added up" estimate gets 50% of the pool.

This can be in 2 sections - with and without technology.

So, actually, closest without aids gets 30% of the pool, the closest with technology gets 20% of the pool and HforH gets 50%.

We could also set it up for night before and "morning after"

What say you?

Charles

Bandit Country

That is certainly a money spinning idea Charles and I would be up for it - no matter how embarrasing the result!. For 'ole times sake' I will bring along my 44 pattern mug and we can sit about drinking cr*p tea while we reprise the squad average, unit of measure, halving and appearance methods.

As for 'effective fire orders', in the heat of the moment I always found "Watch my tracer!" was the most effective! :)

Trapper

Touche! !****S set myself up for that one Charlie boy stalker, and bandit,
Country, mugs 44 ok , watch my tracer , yup got that can!! you put any money on the march n shoot! !as I judge that distance further than you will both go!!Touche' Etwalla , or as froggies say Bon Boggie (snot gobblers) :lol: 8)
Affectionatley (LE Trappuer) no doubt it is spelt wong!! :lol:
BUN FIGHT

OH !AND XIM YOU ARE SPOT ON MATE IT WORKS!!GOOGLE YER BITS!

Trapper

Touche! !****S set myself up for that one Charlie boy stalker, and bandit,
Country, mugs 44 ok , watch my tracer , yup got that can!! you put any money on the march n shoot! !as I judge that distance further than you will both go!!Touche' Etwalla , or as froggies say Bon Boggie (snot gobblers) :lol: 8)
Affectionatley (LE Trappuer) no doubt it is spelt wong!! :lol:
BUN FIGHT

OH !AND XIM YOU ARE SPOT ON MATE IT WORKS!!GOOGLE YER BITS!

1967spud Reloading Supplies Ltd - UK Suppliers for Reloading Equipment supplies, We also stock Bullet Heads and Bullet Cases Guns Cabinets, Night vision and much much more...