Yeah 'Merica - we got more guns than all y'all

Cor blimey.

Odd, I'd have expected Oregon to have looooaaaads of guns for hunting, but then I suppose it's a less populated state than say California or New York.

The Map would presumably alter depending in which State Muir was residing at any given time :D.

Yorkie.

Fascinating map.

The thing to realise is that it does not compare PER CAPITA gun ownership, but TOTAL guns for that state.

So Oregon has 3.8 million people and 3.5 million guns (0.9 guns per person). We reach a similar total number of guns with 64.1 million people (0.05 guns per person).

That puts it somewhat in perspective...

Last edited:
USA 2nd ammendment "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

Thats the difference. In UK We only have arms for sporting and hunting purposes.

Looks like we're in trouble if Europe decide to have a pop at us !:eek: Mind you, it looks like France has a few so when they surrendered we could have theirs :D

I can tell you that for natives of the South and Western USA ( not the transplants from big cities ), almost every home has at least one firearm, usually three or four ( handgun, .22, centerfire, and shotgun) . When you get to those who hunt and shoot for a little recreation, I would say most have 6 to 10. When you get to serious shooters and hunters, most have between 20 and 50. When you get to collectors, I know a dozen who have over 200, especially if they are into one make or model ( 200 Colt 1911 variants, 200 leverguns, 200 military rifles, 200 Mannlichers, etc). Out in the rural areas, 99% of homes have a half dozen firearms; ownership is almost universal.

Big cities are different, more like London or Paris, filled with people afraid of their own shadow. Every chance I get, with one of them visiting, I feed their natural curiosity and inclination to like firearms by taking them out to shoot a mix and win them over.

i think you overestimate Muir - by American standards he and his arsenal are not abnormal:D

I will admit to being very envious of your Freedoms.
I note you are in Kentucky. Have you been to the Knob Creek full auto shoot? A day there would make me grin. :D

Yorkie.

I can tell you that for natives of the South and Western USA ( not the transplants from big cities ), almost every home has at least one firearm, usually three or four ( handgun, .22, centerfire, and shotgun) . When you get to those who hunt and shoot for a little recreation, I would say most have 6 to 10. When you get to serious shooters and hunters, most have between 20 and 50. When you get to collectors, I know a dozen who have over 200, especially if they are into one make or model ( 200 Colt 1911 variants, 200 leverguns, 200 military rifles, 200 Mannlichers, etc). Out in the rural areas, 99% of homes have a half dozen firearms; ownership is almost universal.

Big cities are different, more like London or Paris, filled with people afraid of their own shadow. Every chance I get, with one of them visiting, I feed their natural curiosity and inclination to like firearms by taking them out to shoot a mix and win them over.

Over here,on the odd occasion a journalist or media person is persuaded to shoot clay or whatever on camera, they very often have to conceal their enjoyment.
Such is the pressure to conform in this country.

With great freedom comes great responsibility though.

That is true, and that is why firearms are not used much in crimes where the society is civilized, and children are trained from an early age to respect firearms, knives, swords, and other dangerous weapons. The USA has not had a crime committed by a civilian with a civilian-owed automatic weapon since 1934. Canada has more automatic weapons per capita than the US, but likewise, no crime committed with them. Switzerland has nearly universal firearms ownership, and hundreds of thousands of automatic weapons in private homes, yet almost all the homicides ( about 15 a year ) are committed by foreigners against other foreigners.

The firearms crime in the US is highest in big cities where handguns are severally restricted, so all most people know about them is the misuse they see in cinema, television, and the news about others who learned that same misbehavior from the same sources. And the truth which no one wants to speak is that the problem is a great discrepancy in the restraint which part of Western Civilization, versus people coming from a background culture 4,000 or more years behind our moral norms. The news media in the US does not like to break out the facts that most of the murders are criminals killing criminals, and a great number of other homicides are justifiable, by honest people killing more criminals who were committing crimes at the time.

Back