Yeti or Tigaun

slider

Beginning to make early investigations into a change of my one and only vehicle.

Currently drive a Renault Kadjar 2wd.i do 20000 miles plus a year so running costs are important and rule out "real" 4x4's. Almost all of may stalking access from forestry tracks although I do a bit of game shooting and some 4×4 ability would be handy.

So, must haves are reasonable car like comfort, diesel, auto and 4x4.

Yeti and Tigaun look possibilities. Both have similar mechanical but the VW has s bit more boot space.

Does anyone have experience of these or alternative?

Woodsmoke

My mate has the Yeti. Superb wee wagon. Comfortable, spacious, decent boot capacity, 60mpg (or thereabouts), and it handles forestry tracks perfectly well!

Heym SR20

Friends and family have the Tiguan - its a very good wagon - you can fit four large adults in comfort and drive a long way. The Yeti is a bit smaller. I drove a Skoda Octavia for about 7 years - it was a good car, but it was a car but after 100,000 miles it was getting tatty inside - trim rattling and falling off. I did look at the Skoda Scout, but the cost I thought was high for what it was and the interior build quality really let it down. Instead I found a 2 year A4 Allroad with 25,000 on the clock and for substantially less money than the Skoda Octavia ex demo.

JTO

I don't know how close the Tiguan is to the Audi Q Series, but I have heard that the Audis are heavy on tyres.

Bavarianbrit

Q5 is now built out in the boonys near Puebla southern Mexico and I was told when I was there that they expected the quality to take about 10 years to reach up to the previous level from the Ingolstadt Germany factory. Pay your money take your choice.

FISH BOY

My dads got a Tiguan which I pinch occasionally (not the newest version - the more rounded one)

Cant say I have driven a Yeti to compare, but the Tiguan is a cracking little drive. With the 140hp turbo diesel it feels more powerful than it actually is and cruises along lovely. Very comfortable to drive, but I would say the best feature is the handling - it feels like driving a car, rather than a semi tall 4x4. Sat nav is pretty good too.

Fitted 3 large suitcases, 3 carry on bags and a couple of duty free bags in the boot last week on the airport run with no worries.

Try them both and go from there

steve w

i have a Tiguan 4X4 15 plate last of the old style and i use it for all my deer stalking and driving about when lamping after harvest etc and my wife uses it for work .i have used it off road and its very good .i use one of those black storage boxes from aldi to put all the deer i shoot in it takes 1 roe or 2 cwd its fits in the boot perfectly .also i had both front wheels off the ground coming off a field bank with front wheels spinning (front wheel drive ) 4x4 computer put the power back rear r/h wheel which drove the back on to level ground so the 4x4 system works . not sure about the MPG about 50 avg i think .very nice comfortable drive

McKenzie

I was in the same position a month or so ago (albeit with a fairly tight budget) & tried various cars like the duster (back seat to small). I too do around 25,000 per year so economy is very important, with the other important things for me being high ground clearance & space around the wheel arch to fit chains. Obviously I shoot & stalk but as I don't take the vehicle off tracks I find 2WD with good tyres more than sufficient. The best deal I got was on a Nissan Quashqui & I find it much less tiring on long drives than any of my previous cars. Seems to give around 50 mpg. It does the job.

Alantoo

If you can live with the bigger boot and towing capacity an XC70 will do everything you specify.

I have had one for 12 years and it hasn't put a foot wrong on snow and ice...but I am extremely cautious about mud with it...But...last week at the shoot one of the guns went around the steep banks and muddy tracks in an XC70 and got into, and more importantly out of, places I wouldn't have taken mine...seemed to have no problem keeping up with current Discoverys, a Hilux, couple of Defenders and the game cart Polaris. I was surprised.

Alan

slider

I was in the same position a month or so ago (albeit with a fairly tight budget) & tried various cars like the duster (back seat to small). I too do around 25,000 per year so economy is very important, with the other important things for me being high ground clearance & space around the wheel arch to fit chains. Obviously I shoot & stalk but as I don't take the vehicle off tracks I find 2WD with good tyres more than sufficient. The best deal I got was on a Nissan Quashqui & I find it much less tiring on long drives than any of my previous cars. Seems to give around 50 mpg. It does the job.
Currently drive a 2wd Renault Kadjar that does my job but am strongly leaning to 4x4 next time. Kadjar is available in 4x4 or auto but not both together.

Although the Quashqai and Kadjar share the same platform and similar mechanical, the Nissan uses a horribly inefficient CVT auto box.

Dalua

I've never owned either car, but I lately bought an Octavia Scout. For me, the Yeti didn't have enough boot, and what boot it has is reduced a good deal by the spare wheel (which I consder a neccessity).
I didn't particularly need 4x4, but I do need the ground-clearance: The Scout is excellent for internal space, but uses a fair bit more diesel than the Mk1 Octavia estate it replaced (~50mpg average rather than nearer 60).

The Skoda that's nearest the Tiguan is the Karoq - but perhaps they aren't available old enough to be a realistic s/h buy?

Anyhow, for me the Scout ticked all boxes - but the auto version has a more-powerful engine than the manual, and I suspect it would be thristier than the manual I bought.

McKenzie

Currently drive a 2wd Renault Kadjar that does my job but am strongly leaning to 4x4 next time. Kadjar is available in 4x4 or auto but not both together.

Although the Quashqai and Kadjar share the same platform and similar mechanical, the Nissan uses a horribly inefficient CVT auto box.
Mine is manual.

slider

I've never owned either car, but I lately bought an Octavia Scout. For me, the Yeti didn't have enough boot, and what boot it has is reduced a good deal by the spare wheel (which I consder a neccessity).
I didn't particularly need 4x4, but I do need the ground-clearance: The Scout is excellent for internal space, but uses a fair bit more diesel than the Mk1 Octavia estate it replaced (~50mpg average rather than nearer 60).

The Skoda that's nearest the Tiguan is the Karoq - but perhaps they aren't available old enough to be a realistic s/h buy?

Anyhow, for me the Scout ticked all boxes - but the auto version has a more-powerful engine than the manual, and I suspect it would be thristier than the manual I bought.
Thanks, I have owned a couple of Octavia's in the past, one of which was a DSG auto, and they were very capable cars., which is why I am focusing on VW group cars for my next move. I have plenty time to make a decision yet but doubt s/k Karoq's will be discounted enough for my budget.

Hereford

I have a 63 plate CR-V AWD with AT3’s all round - nice big boot and comfortable / economical on runs. With the traction control off its surprisingly capable off road on some pretty sticky stuff - not far away from my Freelander albeit with less ground clearance. Well worth a look IMO with a lower price tag than the VW