Your favourite hunting painting

Kieranglen

As stated above i would like to know what everyones favourite painting or picture of hunting, shooting or fishing is! Not everyone is into art (im not really) but everyone has that one painting that they love hanging on the wall.

opticron1

Got a lovely print of a Stag in the high corries by Rodger McPhail that hits the spot..... it's like so many places in the far North that I've been to. Nightmare to extract from though!

Stalker1962

This is perhaps not the most beautiful painting in the world.

However: up at the BDS AGM in Harrogate some years back and one of the members who had painted it, donated it to the raffle. It was the first prize.

One of the members at our table won it. I had never met this chap before - he was a retired RAF officer. Later that evening he sidled up to my wife who was sat at the bar and placed the painting alongside her. "I saw how much your husband liked this painting - please give it to him with my compliments."

The kindness of strangers.

By rather dubious means I found out where this chap lived and the following week there arrived at his home in the HIghlands a bottle of the very finest single malt.

It is to me so much more than a painting. It hangs above my reloading bench and is a constant reminder of the good that there is in the world. BDSroe.JPG

dartmoordog

Anything by Ian Nathan, take a look on line, his stuff is amazing. The Fox is an outstanding piece of art.

Kieranglen

Some great pictures, i find it that you dont find many good ones online to buy and its not looking like there will be many shows or fairs to find any at this year. One of my favourites is the drookit by willie forbes, i personally dont have it on my wall but my best friend has it on his! BBB4F2AB-B821-43BE-A2F3-3C5CEB2E20DB.jpeg

caberslash

Great thread!

Having worked as a ghillie for a season on a Highland estate, I took a break and went to see a friend in Perth.

A print of the painting 'Going South' by George Earl was hung on a wall of Perth train station, seemingly forgotten. I studied it whilst waiting for my friend and pointed it out to him, explaining the details and such.

going south.jpg

If you have visited Perth by train in recent years, its quite hard to imagine such a scene ever happening again.

lochty

Malcolm innes has a gallery in Perth and usually has copies of the two of these. Also in the antique centre at abernyte.

house.jpg

This was painted by a family friend Elinor Shepherd - wife of David Shepherd

Not the David Shepherd :) :)

He was a colleague of my Dad's

It was painted for my Folks as a present when I was borne

It is a picture of our house in the outskirts of Broken Hill (now Kabwe) in Zambia - 1958

Not a hunting scene - but one of great significance to me

Fosbery Holster

Great thread!

Having worked as a ghillie for a season on a Highland estate, I took a break and went to see a friend in Perth.

A print of the painting 'Going South' by George Earl was hung on a wall of Perth train station, seemingly forgotten. I studied it whilst waiting for my friend and pointed it out to him, explaining the details and such.

View attachment 157907

If you have visited Perth by train in recent years, its quite hard to imagine such a scene ever happening again.

Now that is stunning .....English Pointers, English Setters, Irish Setters, Gordon Setters, and a Collie.......wonderful.