Your favourite method for preventing a scope slipping in the rings?

HandB

Hi Everyone,

I have noticed that my scope has slipped in its rings and the reticule is now not vertical. I understand coating the inside of the scope rings with rosin is the historical method but I guess there are more modern ways. What do you recommend for preventing such slippage?

Thank you!

VSS

I use a bit of that slightly spongy double-sided sticky tape which is often supplied for fitting number plates to trailers etc. It's totally crap for fitting number plates, but it's good in scope rings.

Klenchblaize

Just located the following info sheet that I've been looking for since I responded to a similar question a couple of years ago and received 'unhelpful' SD comment for daring to suggest smearing rubber inertube repair cement on the inner rings. This is what comes with a set of S&K scope rings and take it from me it works:

K

kennyc

Hi Everyone,

I have noticed that my scope has slipped in its rings and the reticule is now not vertical. I understand coating the inside of the scope rings with rosin is the historical method but I guess there are more modern ways. What do you recommend for preventing such slippage?

Thank you!
measure the tube of your scope, and the inside diameter of your rings, a decent set of rings should never let a scope slip in normal use as long as you arent using a really heavy calibre or a scope that is undersized ?

HandB

Thanks everyone, the scope rings are Parker Hale RALS3, which are rather wimpy compared to modern rings as they only have one clamping screws either side. Unfortunately they are the only rings I could find that fit the Parker Hale dovetail system on my Lee Enfield T4 rifle.

paul o'

pretty sure I used Sportsmatch rings when I ditched the pecar scope used a set of there setback rings 30mm something like the HT075

Andyquadra

Thanks everyone, the scope rings are Parker Hale RALS3, which are rather wimpy compared to modern rings as they only have one clamping screws either side. Unfortunately they are the only rings I could find that fit the Parker Hale dovetail system on my Lee Enfield T4 rifle.
I'm sure @enfieldspares Will be able to recommend something for you

VSS

Mine are Parker-Hale rings too, and the double sided tape works just fine in them.

enfieldspares

In this case eBay is your friend for P-H rings at reasonable prices. If you've money to spend and it is no object then Emma Custom Rifles has often a large selection. From memory if it's P-H and has a 3 it is 1" and if it has a 4 it is 26mm. But I may be wrong!

Tim.243

Over time using various clamps to take lamps up to the LF170 I have used surgical tape ( same material as a sticky plaster)
Just thick enough.....

Had sports match rings on both the .243 & .270 with nothing ever moved, no torque screwdriver were harmed in the dispatching of 100's of foxes lol

Tim.243

HandB

Many thanks, I will see if I can buy some of that double sided tape. Do you have a particular brand you use?

Lateral

I use masking tape, and it works for me, but I'm curious, when I use rings, it always takes me a few goes to keep the reticle level, as I tighten, and torque the screws.

What is the trick to getting it spot on first time, so that you don't have a nightmare using double sided tape ?

VSS

Many thanks, I will see if I can buy some of that double sided tape. Do you have a particular brand you use?
I got some from a local car parts place when they were making up a new numberplate for my trailer. No idea of the brand, but the tape itself is black, with green peel-off backing strips.