Your most treasured memory.

BRACES of Bristol - Dark Fox Package, Mauser M12, LIEMKE Thermal Scope, Wildcat Mod

basil

Distinguished Member
Those of you that have a few years stalking under your belts, can you take a trip down memory lane and share a memorable stalk/event and some photos (if possible) with the less experienced members.
basil.

steyr.308

My most memorable stalk!

It was with my new stalking partner.

My partner was very new to the game and asked me to choose some suitable yet fashionable camouflage attire from an exclusive range.

I chose what I thought what was appropriate. What do you think?

Comments Please.

Trainee2.jpg

Trainee1.jpg

Regards

Frax

We had known each other since agricultural college and had shot most of what these isles had to offer. My friend however had never shot a red on the hill, nor yet had a go at ptarmigan. We decided to remedy this and booked a few days on an estate in the Monadliaths – a place where I had shot my first beast some years before.

After an excellent few days, all recorded on video by the third member of our ‘gang’, we shot our final beast and as it was only a mile or so to the hill gate we walked off the hill. At the gate we turned and took a long look back at that magical place, already planning our next visit.

The next year I had to decline due to pressure of work and little was I know that there would never be another chance to hunt together. Our friend was tragically killed in a senseless motorcycle accident the following summer.

So, his first beast and that walk off the hill are some of my most treasured memories.

Drew

Fester

Well steyr.308
I would say you have over dressed her a little :eek: :D :D i personally would of had her up the high seat in something a little less :D :D

IanF

A glorious summer's day in Devon. Lying on my side in the middle of a pasture - 'barking' at a young Roe Buck who seemed to have no fear.

Circling me while barking, all the while closing the distance until we were only ten feet apart.

This little interchange went on for fifteen minutes, until I eventually got up and walked away...... meanwhile, Bucky had run twenty feet, stopped and triumphantly barked as he watched me receed into the distance. :)

Yes, I had a rifle - no, I didn't shoot him.

Sometimes, stalking isn't all about squeezing the trigger! :confused: Just being out can be enough!

Rgds Ian

willie_gunn

Going into the woods with my stalking mate during the rut. Going to sit down by a tree and accidentally sitting on the Buttolo call in the process. In the middle of a fit of the giggles looking up to see a buck come crashing through the bushes only to pull up only 2 or so metres away. Don't know who was more surprised/astonished - him or me!

Another time, with the same mate, walking down the road to go into the wood and seeing what looked like a very large rabbit in the field next door, only for it to bound away as I realised it was a wallaby. An hour or so later on a creepy-crawly, silent-as-possible stalk, only for the self same wallaby to come crashing through the woods and come straight past me. I took the hint and quit stalking that morning.

And all this in Berkshire!

willie_gunn

perks

memory

Waiting in the woods for a fallow buck.The big black one ive mentioned in another post.When out of the woods into the ride walked a doe followed by 11 more including young. They all walked within id say 15 ft of me. :D

Jagare

Had a great stalk round the wood came home and found the wife had buggered off with an Italian. Best stalking day of my life :D

JAYB

Administrator
Site Staff
I was answering a call of nature, we were in a forestry plantation, one of the ploughed ones, the trees were well grown and I was about 15 or 20 feet along one of the furrows. Coat hanging on a tree, rifle leaning against another, you get the picture. Anyway just as I had got in position I heard the sound of a shot and thought my mate was a lucky sod. Although he was about 600 yards away from as the crow flies, he was about three quarters of mile away on the forestry track. I then heard the thundering of hooves and laboured breathing and a bloody Sika stag, wounded, came crashing along a furrow about ten or so away from me. It certainly hurried things along!

Some people make do with reading a paper!

Before anyone asks it was found dead.

John

Trapper

Basil
Still trying for my most memorable moment!! :D Most trips have a little something neg/ pos , !!regrets and, elation, mostly I get a good result and, am happy with all results , it would be chore-some to determine the result of each trip out !! Adrenalin kicks in whether its a sighting or a cull.
that is the beauty of our sport, in a nutshell, All memorable but some more special than others. Regards
Trapper.

Trapper

Basil
Still trying for my most memorable moment!! :D Most trips have a little something neg/ pos , !!regrets and, elation, mostly I get a good result and, am happy with all results , it would be chore-some to determine the result of each trip out !! Adrenalin kicks in whether its a sighting or a cull.
that is the beauty of our sport, in a nutshell, All memorable but some more special than others. Regards
Trapper.

ejg

When I was about 11 or 12, my father took two German vistors out for a duck and Egyptian wild geese. We only had one shotgun the lancaster 12ga so I was stuck with my old BSA target henry style 22 lr. I loved this rifle, although heavy I was very handy with it. Arrived at the farm at Piggots Bridge on the Fish River South Africa, the old farmer (very handy with the 303) came along. My duty was to stay on the downwind side of the lake to pick up birds and the others went down the bank to the right. So I took up position , getting a comfortable prone position with my box of RWS high velocity to the right. The shotguns started to fire and a the first geese plopped into the drink. Several where only winged, that's where I came in. The BSA was such a brilliant rifle picking off goose by goose at over 150yds with open sights. Easy to correct shots over water.
The wind brought all the geese and odd duck to the shore. We all gathered at the edge of the lake when a single goose came over sky high. Way out of shotgun range. I looked at my father and he nodded. Goose was so high that I could take my time with the BSA missed three times and then a thud at the forth and the goose came straight down.
Was a bit of a skinny goose so we dropped it off at a clay hut.
I'll never forget that day.
edi

Duncs

Taking my son (Two and half) into a wood, and getting within about 20 yards from some young fallow bucks play fighting. They were being watched by a huge beast. Then we backed out, and a smaller buck walked in front stood side ways and my son brought up his 'gun' and said 'this one daddy??'
Even at his tender age, he had been happy to just watch the first lot, and ' shoot' the loner...fantastic.

243varmint

Nothing to do with stalking I know but.....
I was on a phesant shoot a few years ago with my 2 springers. Was standing with my back to a river about 10 m behind me.
Shot a lovelly left and right at the end of the drive, both dogs were sent they crossed the river and found a bird each. Then they both sat on the opposite bank with a bird each in ther mouths. A blast on the whistle and both swam back side by side and to me.
Unfortunatly I didn't have a camera but it was the talking point back at the shoot hut over a few drinks.

Jonathon

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
Steyr 308 never saw that one at the CLA, and I was with two of the biggest peverts for nearly a whole day Saturday (Andy and Uncle Fester) :lol:

I hear uncle Fester is interested in opening up a club for stalkers where the girls dance round a high seat instead of a chrome pole :eek: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry I am highjacking the thread :oops: I might post something later moer in keeping with the thread.

Robin

memory

Several years ago, checking some of my ground during the rut. Could hear a Fallow buck in the wood, decided to go and check him out, quite windy, so got down wind and walked straight in,eventually found them in a clearing. I had spooked a couple of satelite bucks who trotted off, I used some chestnut trees as cover and continued walking in. Found myself looking at nice big beast black as hell and stinking like a dungheap, he suddenly saw me, did no more than head down and come at me like a steam train.I had nowhere to go but get behind a tree stump, round which he put his antlers, while he was disengaging his head I made a hasty retreat, only to see him go back to his does head held high. Left him for a couple of years before taking him out. He did sire some good animals.

Night Vision Store