z aim vs niggeloh sling

Tomm

hello. i am looking for a newsling for my two rifles. i use a bipod on both but am worried that the two slings above will cause the bipod to dig into my back? does anyone on here use either of the above with a bipod and heavy mod that can comment on the comfort? i struggle with the rifle slipping off my shoulder when walking especially if i am trying to carry sticks and hold the binos,

thanks all

stecad

Use a z aim on the hill and find it better than the Niggeloh. The z aim allows the rifle to be set a bit more on its side so reduces the bipod digging in. The z aim allows you to really get the rifle tight onto your back so that movement is minimal. I find that this reduces the impact of the bipod on your back. Once set up properly the z aim is a breeze to slip off. Just remember to tape up the loose straps once you've set it up. Nothing more annoying than putting your knee on a trailing strap while crawling into a beast. A real wtf moment.

Rake Aboot

I have just bought a z-aim and like the way it holds the gun rock steady, especially when crawling or climbing.

I do have a worry that having it on tight has put stress on the stock and affected my zero, but I need to further look into this.

If I find it has, then I`ll put a post up about it.

Mauser243

Used z-aim for a few years now, have one on all my rifles and find them to be pretty good, no issues or complaints from me.

M

Monkey Spanker

hello. i am looking for a newsling for my two rifles. i use a bipod on both but am worried that the two slings above will cause the bipod to dig into my back? does anyone on here use either of the above with a bipod and heavy mod that can comment on the comfort? i struggle with the rifle slipping off my shoulder when walking especially if i am trying to carry sticks and hold the binos,

thanks all
A modern rifle with a bipod and a heavy mod does not want to be carried 'muzzle-up'! Have the sling quite short and try carrying it muzzle down. Plugging the barrel with a moderator fitted is virtually impossible as they are recessed. It is also much safer especially if stalking accompanied. You can even stick some electrical tape over the end if it concerns you. Try it before you spend money on a sling which probably won't solve your problem anyway. I always carry my rifles muzzle down.
MS

Rake Aboot

My problem was the heft of the rifle all on one side, causing back pain.

I get the bit about heed whacking though RD

Psyxologos

I have both (started with a niggeloh but got a bit annoyed with it) and I switrch between them every so often for comfort. I think I like the Z aim better though...

Apache

I'm fed up whacking my head with the T8 and straps flaying about with the Z Aim.
You were using it wrong. When properly adjusted the rifle cannot move. You can crawl with it on your back and it will stay perfectly still.

I have something like 9 of the Z Aim slings - got them on practically everything. They are the best I have used.

The backpack slings are ok, but I sold them both on here.

McKenzie

I didn't like the Niggeloh on the rifle & yes, if you use a bipod & carry it upright then it will dig into your back. It does work quite well with a bare rifle but I found it ugly for this. However, it's brilliant for putting on slips for long walks when the rifle is sleeved. It seems to work best split across the body rather than in an actual rucksack position.

I won't carry my rifle + mod in the down position as it seems to nearly drag along the ground; way too close for comfort & you can block a mod (with a twig), which I have done. I'm 6'2".

Last edited:

Mungo

Z aim was a revelation when I first used one. Really transforms crawling - when it's on properly, the rifle really doesn't move at all.

Bipod can dig a bit, but I only notice that in summer when not stalking with a heavy coat.

Its only drawback is that it can be slow, noisy and fiddly to deploy the rifle if you come upon a beast when you're not expecting it - I lost a couple in woodland that way. So I now stalk in woodland with a bare rifle (no bipod) and a normal sling (shots mainly off sticks in a bit of a hurry). I then switch to the Z aim and bipod on moorland/hillside/big fields.

But I don't use a mod, and I can see that being a bit of an issue.

Somerset

Z-aim is good. Have used one with a heavy moderator and now use them with light moderators and occasionally with bipod. I don't expect I'll ever want to use a single strap again.
The only time I've seen the Niggeloh sling put to very good use was with thin clothing and no pack. Impossible with any back pack / roe sack. More difficult too, I think, with thick clothing.